Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Landing gear animation (Read 1162 times)
26th Jul, 2003 at 3:37am
Ben   Guest

Hello !

I'm working on a Po-2,which has an old style landing gear( like the Sopwith Camel ) : there's an axis with the two tires on it's ends.How can I animate the axis correctly ? So I'd like to make that when the right tire touch the ground the axis moving with it,but only it's right side ( and the same way the left side of the axis with the left tire ).Do you have any idea?
Thanks,and sorry for my bad english...

Bence

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 26th Jul, 2003 at 4:17am

Hayden Scott-Williams/Fox4   Offline
Point Pusher
South Africa

Well, Ben, what I would do is split the axel in two, name the right part r_tire.axel and the left part l_tire.axel.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 26th Jul, 2003 at 9:37am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

If it's like the Camel - it should be a split axle arrangement.

If it's a straight axle, it's a different story...

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 26th Jul, 2003 at 8:22pm
Tommy Tomov   Guest

Felix,

The gear arrangement on the Po-2(also known in the 30's as the U-2 in the USSR) is a straight axle.

Maybe setting four IK chains will work, here is a suggestion:

IK chains(one for each Wheel):
Shock absorber-Wheel(wheel as endpoint of the chain)

Axle-Wheel(again, one for each side, and again the wheel as an endpoint of the chain)
--------------------------------------

The axle is set as a bone separately in each IK chain, so wheel movement will affect it while the opposite side wheel will be treated as a fixed point)

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 26th Jul, 2003 at 10:22pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Interesting - but does makemdl/FS2002/4 recognize IK animations?

I was checking some scale plans on the Po-2, showing some interesting variations.  There was even a 6-person mini-transport variant!

Quote:
Felix,

The gear arrangement on the Po-2(also known in the 30's as the U-2 in the USSR) is a straight axle.

Maybe setting four IK chains will work, here is a suggestion:

IK chains(one for each Wheel):
Shock absorber-Wheel(wheel as endpoint of the chain)

Axle-Wheel(again, one for each side, and again the wheel as an endpoint of the chain)
--------------------------------------

The axle is set as a bone separately in each IK chain, so wheel movement will affect it while the opposite side wheel will be treated as a fixed point)

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 26th Jul, 2003 at 10:42pm

Tommy_Tomov   Offline
Point Pusher
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Felix,

To my knowledge, IK is used only to make the calculation of the moving paths and shouldn't affect the format the animation is exported to the DirectX file. Well, I might not be right, so only an experiment could prove this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print