Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FSDS2 Trimwheel animation ?. (Read 2750 times)
2nd Jan, 2005 at 2:17pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Guys

First of all Happy New Year.

Is there a way in FSDS2 to make my Elevator trim wheel in the VC move a lot more than the standard trimtab_elevator animation key will allow.

I find that in many of other model that the trimwheel moves a satisfying amount on each keypress  ???

Can i use a keyfame type anim for this function ?

Sorry for such a dumb question guys  Embarrassed

Regards
Rick Wink

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 2nd Jan, 2005 at 3:03pm

lionheart   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Phoenix Arizona

Hello Rick,

I will try to help as I dont remember too much about FSDS and work in Gmax now, but I believe I can ansere this one.

When you dont wish to use a 'gauge' but an actual 'control lever', (such as a trim wheel), for the VC, you can animate it to what ever action and speed rate you like.  Your tag name will be most important as well as animation speed.  Trimtab is the tag name.

However it is under stock animation names, thus it is not animated.

A 'go-around' on this would be to adjust the scaler in the config file making elevator trim sensitivity 'more' or 'less' in which you can lower the speed of 'trimming' and vice versa.

It would be nice if they had 'lever_trimtab' where you could animate the trim wheel to what ever speed you wished.  Though I think the go-around might get you what you need.

I hope that helps.

Bill

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 2nd Jan, 2005 at 4:35pm

Dennis_S   Offline
LDV Engineer
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello, Rick,
   There's a Gmax trick that might have an FSDS analog: 
   Define a tiny cube A at the Trim Wheel's center of rotation. Animate the cube for one rotation, 0-100.
   Clone it successively for cubes B, C, D, ...
   Link child A to parent B, child B to parent C, child C to parent D, etc.
   Then 1 rotation of D will give 2 rotations of C, 3 rotations of B and 4 rotations of A.
   Last, animate the Trim Wheel for 1 rotation as well.
   Then, for instance, give the tag name to D, and link the Trim Wheel as child to parent A. This will cause the Trim Wheel to rotate at 5 times the basic rate.
   I've never tried but suspect the trick could "amplify" displacement rates as well as rotational ones.
   All in good fun.
   Dennis S

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 2nd Jan, 2005 at 5:12pm

lionheart   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Phoenix Arizona

Brilliant!

A transmission mechnism using dummies, lol...  That is brilliant...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 3rd Jan, 2005 at 7:04am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help.

I tried adjusting the scalar first which works but makes my model unflyable using elevator trim (sorry Bill)  Wink

Dennis you are a Genius mate. 8)

Works just like you said,, Brilliant & thanks to both of you i can actually have trimwheels that move properly.

I think this should be added to the tips section as it's
such a simple remedy for a problem i have had for ever.

I would never have thought of that on my own. Lips Sealed

Regards
Rick Wink

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 23rd Feb, 2010 at 7:22am

Spad54   Offline
Polygon Twister
Golden Age Simulations
USA

Is there a similar "trick" for FSX models?  If not does anyone have a thought on how that may be accomplished?  Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 23rd Feb, 2010 at 10:13am

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Spad54 wrote on 23rd Feb, 2010 at 7:22am:
Is there a similar "trick" for FSX models?  If not does anyone have a thought on how that may be accomplished?  Thanks

Actually, I simply use 100 frame animation = 360º (key every 10 frames), then scale the animation in the XML script:

Code:
  <PartInfo>
    <Name>trimtab_elevator_twinstar</Name>
    <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
    <Animation>
	<Parameter>
	  <Sim>
	    <Variable>ELEVATOR TRIM PCT</Variable>
	    <Units>percent</Units>
	    <Scale>0.5</Scale>
	    <Bias>50</Bias>
	  </Sim>
	</Parameter>
    </Animation>
  </PartInfo> 

It seem counter-intuitive, but reducing the scale increases the rotational speed. A value of 0.5 = 2x speed...

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 23rd Feb, 2010 at 6:12pm

Spad54   Offline
Polygon Twister
Golden Age Simulations
USA

Thanks for the FSX tip Bill, much appreciated.  In this case I'm building for both versions using FSDS3.5.  I've spent the better part of the afternoon trying to apply the FSDS2 solution with mixed success.  The animation works to a point at least when applying nose down trim it seems to rotate a few times around and finishes full aft, which is what I expected it to do.  The nose up animation is very odd.  It spins around but ends up at the 12 o'clock position, bounces off and reverses direction.  I'm using the lever_trimtab_elevator_trimotor tag and perhaps that may be the problem.  Any help or guidance would be most helpful.  Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 23rd Feb, 2010 at 7:11pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

You can use the exact same script in FS9's makemdl.parts.xml file. Simply 'translate' it to the FS9 format:

Code:
<part>
    <name>trimtab_elevator_twinstar</Name>
    <animation>
	<parameter>
	  <sim>
	    <variable>ELEVATOR TRIM PCT</variable>
	    <units>percent</units>
	    <scale>0.5</scale>
	    <bias>50</bias>
	  </sim>
	</parameter>
    </animation>
 </part>  

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 24th Feb, 2010 at 7:09am

Spad54   Offline
Polygon Twister
Golden Age Simulations
USA

Thanks Fr Bill got it working.  What I'd like to get right is the trim crank to spin >360 and at least 2-3 full rotations in either direction.  I've seen it done e.g Tim Conrads UPF-7 but have yet to master the trick mention above with any measure of success.  Thanks again

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print