Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating a beta Test Checklist (Read 1358 times)
15th Jun, 2006 at 7:20pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

In a blatant act of plagiarism from the SOH Design Forum:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

--------------------------------------------------------------------
A structured, organized approach to beta testing helps to ensure that everything gets tested in all situations and times of day. In our zest to get an aircraft released, we sometimes overlook the obvious, and some will say, "How did you overlook that?!"

In our quest to cover most of the bases, at my encouragement and with his engineering background, Eric Payne developed a format for his testing of our aircraft back in 2003. (AC520 Beta Test attached-original format 2003).

Eric has continued to evolve the format, and make it "fit" the aircraft being tested, I show also an early Howard 500 Beta Test report (attached).

Would you all be interested in continuing this evolution to come up with a "better mousetrap" for your testing?

We offer the attached as starting points to maybe help others who struggle with these things.

Additionally, beta testers often ask if you have a form or structure you would like followed when they test for you. Well, here is a starting point.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

======================================
Furthermore, Milton adds:

You certainly may use any of this. I am hoping others may review these, and that an even more comprehensive template could be developed.

It would be nice if someone would take on the ideas and make the changes as recommended if practical, and keep a general use template available for all who wish to use it. This is a contribution from Eric Payne, our chief beta tester, and the team to the community.
=======================================

Note to Milton:  THe zipped files are uploaded to FFDS utilities, with the spaces removed between the original names

Thanks again to you and Eric - for giving more than just awesome models to the flightsim community.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 15th Oct, 2006 at 9:30am

Milton   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Props forever!

Thank you Felix for bringing this over.  Hopefully others can help evolve these templates to create even more comprehensive beta test checklists and feedback forms.

Milton Shupe&&Dash 7, Aero Commanders, Howard 500, D18S, Spartan 7W, A-26B/C, XA38 Grizzly, DH-80A, AT-11, 427 Pinto Stock Car, The "Grumman Seven", Avia 51, 156, 56, 57
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 30th Jun, 2007 at 12:02pm

FSafranek/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
FFDS Co-Founder
Escondido, CA, USA

Sorry I'm late, I just stumbled upon this thread...

This is a great topic and so important.  I do QA for a living (Yahoo) so I completely appreciate the value of checklists as quidelines for testers.

We've been having a similar discussion to this one among the developers over at Alphasim.  Our main source of items on the list is feedback in the forum (what did we mess up on) and we've just been adding them to a thread.  But this Howard 500 Beta report is a great template to follow to actually get them down on (digital) paper for a tester to follow.  Thanks for starting this thread Felix and Milton, thanks for starting it over at SOH.  Hopefully better use of tools like this will reduce the time spent dealing with complaints in the forums after release.

Frank Safranek - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print