Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS9 vs FSX: VC Gauge Polygons... (Part 2) (Read 5024 times)
25th Jan, 2007 at 4:31pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

(Picture repeated for better continuity)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

OK then... now that we have some basics defined, here's the answer to your specific question:

Perhaps the easiest way to explain this is to picture the "gauge polygon" as the LCD projection screen of a laptop computer...

The "gauges" are then "projected" onto their respective polygons by FS in real time, based on the x,y,z/U,V,W coordinates set by their respective entries in the panel.cfg file.  In the case of the picture immediately above, this entry is:

Code:
//--------------------------------------------------------
[Vcockpit01]
// file_1024=CII_VC_01.bmp   <= this texture from the \panel folder can be used for placement in Panel Studio, or as added texture in the sim
size_mm=1024,1024                 <= this tells FS "create a dynamic texture that's 1024x1024 square"
visible=0
pixel_size=1024,1024                <= this tells FS "establish a 1:1 relationship between pixels and mm of screen area/position"
texture=$CII_VC_01                 <= this is the "name" of the dynamic texture as specified in the .mdl file

gauge02=Citation II!CitationII_Attitude,  4,0,186,174   // project the gauge 4 pix from the left, 0 pix from the top, and make it 186x174 pix in size

In order for a laptop's LCD screen to be seen, they place a light source BEHIND the screen.  Without this light, the screen would be dark and very hard to read.

Now, in FS9 we could specify that we wanted to use a $xxx_L.bmp file to provide a "light source" and "paint" the areas we wanted to be lighted, using any color desired, determine brightness, and even use gradient effects.

In FSX however, this "system" no longer works.  Instead, all we can do is tell FSX to make the ENTIRE POLYGON to be "lighted," and it will ALWAYS be full intensity, 255,255,255 WHITE...   The only options are "always on" or "User Controlled" (where User Controlled means "tied to the panel lights switch").

This is the reason WHY we now have to provide alternative "night time bitmaps" for each gauge element, otherwise they will always be blindingly BRIGHT when the panel lights switch is ON...

I sure hope this explanation is helpful, and helps you to understand how the panel/gauge system works! Wink

EDIT 04/20/2008:

The paragraphs above are no longer entirely correct. Please refer to my new article on FSX Emissive Backlighting for details...

FS-X Emissive Textures and VC Lighting
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 20th Apr, 2008 at 2:05pm by Fr. Bill »  

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 5th Jun, 2010 at 7:57am

ben252   Offline
Spline Extruder
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Anyone know where the attachment has gone?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 5th Jun, 2010 at 11:16am

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print