Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
FS9: 4mm weld in VC workaround? (Read 13276 times)
14th Feb, 2007 at 6:14am

bpahe   Offline
Polygon Twister
I have an explicit OBED
scaling matrix prepended?
Sweden

Hi!

I found this quote in the looong thread regarding building of an ultralight, here in the News section;

"The 4mm welds [is] only an issue in the VC and we can work around that when doing the final build"

Now, without answering 'build for FSX instead', could anyone explain how to / shed some light on this issue?

All the best on this Valentines day

/hans

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 6:34am

lionheart   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Phoenix Arizona

Hello Bpahe,

Vertices in the FS9 MakeMDL compiler are auto-welded together when their distance is 4MM or less.  Thus, when making super small parts, like swiches, they will tend to 'crumple' when they weld up here and there during compilation.

Supposedly the distance is massively reduced in the new FSX compiler, if the distance limit still exists at all.  However, a FSX model will not work in FS9...   One way street.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 6:41am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Hi Hans.

I pretty sure that the work around for that is to uncheck (remove the tick from) "Weld" or "WeldPoints" in MakeMDL.exe .

To be able to do this you need to use middleman for gmax or you will need to rename the MakeMdlAircraftParms.txt for FSDS so that you are able to get access to the MakeMDL.exe options.

Thats what I do to stop my small parts from being "welded" into some pretty wierd sgapes. I haven't yet done this with gmax, but I always deselect "WeldPoints" in Middleman anyway.

I hope that helps. And if I have it wrong someone will set you straight.

Mark

Be happy! Life's too short not to be!

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 6:58am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Wozza was refering to a method that requires one massivly rescale the VC and then modify the asm  in notepad
before compiling , i repost the text in question and a link to the thread.

what started it of was this message by Luka
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register um=1134887975;start=8#8
I didnt get the gist of what Luka was saying until I tried it,Il explain what I did
Ok Ive split my project in to 2 projects external and VC model
I then scale the VC up by a factor of 16,in fsds3 when you use  the scale plugin it scales all models,animations ect in the project ie the reason for 2 separate projects.
external model no scale up VC scale X16

I then export each project to an xfile(I have to do this as I need to hand edit the xfile to fix texture issues with fsds3) the exterior  I save as projname.x then the VC I call projname_interior.x
now I move these to the folder I have makemdl.exe in and drag and drop one of the xfiles onto makemdl, check/uncheck my preferred options in makemdl(keep all files is a must so you get to the asm files) also check lod tab to see if both xfiles have loaded then compile.

when finished I delete the mdl as we only want the asm files makemdl generates
in the makemdl folder you should see 3 asm files projname.asm,projname_0.asm and projname_1.asm
open projname.asm in notepad and look for

SUPER_SCALE  no_model,0,0,6
VINSTANCE_CALL  model_inside,AIRCRAFT_PARAMS.llapbh.pbh
change the 0,0,6 to 0,0,2 and save
(there is only one instance of the model_inside but make sure its the one you change)
now drag and drop projname.asm file onto BGLC_9.exe ( you must  have the copy of it in my makemdl folder as the asm files all have paths in them)
it will now compile again (takes the same time as makemdl would) when finished you end up with a file called projname.bgl
rename it to projname.mdl and drop it into the aircrafts model folder
fire up fs9 and have a look to see all looks fine ..BUT  you will notice that the aircraft is very tiny in the menu window you can fix this by using afcad,
in the tool tab you will find an aircraft editor which allows you to change the aircraft size use this to fix the menu display problem
or you can hexedt the mdl (which I find easier)  

So basically what this duz is scale the vc up so even 1mm points are now 16mm appart.The weld function for the VC
is done as the ASM files are generated,as all the points are 16mm appart no welding is done.Then when you edit the asm file your telling the compiler to rescale all the VC parts back to their normal size.I have no idea how X16 and a scale change to 2 works out but it works  
(same for meters and feet btw)
its a bit of work but once youve done it once its  a piece of cake  

wozza

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 7:31am

bpahe   Offline
Polygon Twister
I have an explicit OBED
scaling matrix prepended?
Sweden

Whoa, that´s a massive text to take in, I have to read it in my humble abode and see what I can make of it! In the meantime - thanks!

/hans

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 7:45am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.

Awwwww....Looks like I was wrong.  Undecided

OK. I accept that, but, now I have to ask my own question on this issue:-

If I create a model and compile it without unchecking "Weld", I get some parts looking really strange, twisted and distorted. Then. If I compile the same model making sure not to weld, they appear fine. If this is not the 4mm autoweld issue, what is it?

Mark

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 7:57am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Mark958 wrote on 14th Feb, 2007 at 7:45am:
Awwwww....Looks like I was wrong.  Undecided

OK. I accept that, but, now I have to ask my own question on this issue:-

If I create a model and compile it without unchecking "Weld", I get some parts looking really strange, twisted and distorted. Then. If I compile the same model making sure not to weld, they appear fine. If this is not the 4mm autoweld issue, what is it?

Mark

Hi
Msoft made a booboo with makemdl.exe the option for weld only works on the external model,The option is locked on  for the VC model
Wozza
PS thanks Chuck I lost the location of that post and couldnt locate it with the search function Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 9:01am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.

Thanks Wozza. Then if I do a complex enough model with small knobs in the VC then it looks like I'll be doing some editing of x files to sort that problem out eh?  Roll Eyes

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 9:15am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Mark958 wrote on 14th Feb, 2007 at 9:01am:
Thanks Wozza. Then if I do a complex enough model with small knobs in the VC then it looks like I'll be doing some editing of x files to sort that problem out eh?  Roll Eyes

Mark

OR.... you can always say that:

- you used low quality plastic and the knobs melted.
- the knobs are specially commissioned works of avant-garde art...

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 14th Feb, 2007 at 5:13pm

PutPut   Offline
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Picasso?? Cheesy   Grin   Grin

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 15th Feb, 2007 at 2:59am

dmaher   Offline
Spline Extruder
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe makemdl “weld” (actually “weldpoints”) was the culprit. (I suspect that’ll just fuse duplicate vertices)  I think it’s actually the “Optimize” flag that is misbehaving.  As you might expect 3d data can be optimized by truncating the XYZ coordinates. So for example 0.3157731m becomes 0.326m. If the trimming is a little excessive you get the kind of artifacts we’ve seen in the VC.  Unfortunately though turning off the “optimize” won't help.

Danny
CZBB

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 15th Feb, 2007 at 3:52am

Mathias   Offline
Spline Extruder
Jau!
Germany

You can build to 1mm accuracy in FS9 virtual cockpits if you uncheck the weld points option, as Mark states correctly.
Just make sure that there are no vertices within the 1mm treshold.

Mathias&&
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 15th Feb, 2007 at 9:06am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi
Have a look at the log file generated by makemdl with the weld option unchecked
Msoft has fixed it in the new compiler,if it wasnt a problem then it wouldnt have been fixed Smiley
WOzza

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 15th Feb, 2007 at 10:48am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Many thanks for this Wozza..   I had thought we were stuck at 4MM in FS9..    Great to hear.

May I ask what build model of MakeMDL uses the new 1MM with Autoweld turned off?

Bill

*EDIT:  I have build number 9.00.030612.02

I wonder if this adds time to the compile build time, lol.   For instance, if it runs 20 min's presently to compile models, would it add another 10 min's to the build time?  (I'll find out anyway, so no worries). 

Shocked   Grin   Cry

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 15th Feb, 2007 at 11:51am

pcbroken   Offline
Spline Extruder
Trying to move vertices.
Only trying though.
Bogota, Colombia

Thats why I do AI, it takes only 10 seconds to compile a model with its required LODs Grin

Regards&&Juan Sebastián González
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print