Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
FS9: 4mm weld in VC workaround? (Read 12501 times)
Reply #15 - 15th Feb, 2007 at 4:24pm

bpahe   Offline
Polygon Twister
I have an explicit OBED
scaling matrix prepended?
Sweden

lionheart wrote on 15th Feb, 2007 at 10:48am:
*EDIT:  I have build number 9.00.030612.02

Hi!

Mine´s the same, have I/we missed a version?

/hans

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 15th Feb, 2007 at 11:26pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Au-MaV wrote on 15th Feb, 2007 at 9:06am:
Hi
Have a look at the log file generated by makemdl with the weld option unchecked
Msoft has fixed it in the new compiler,if it wasnt a problem then it wouldnt have been fixed Smiley
WOzza

Er, what "new compiler?"  The latest I'm aware of is v9.00.030612.02 released on April 06, 2005, 4:19:07 PM...

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 16th Feb, 2007 at 12:41am

Au-MaV   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Quote:
Au-MaV wrote on 15th Feb, 2007 at 9:06am:
Hi
Have a look at the log file generated by makemdl with the weld option unchecked
Msoft has fixed it in the new compiler,if it wasnt a problem then it wouldnt have been fixed Smiley
WOzza

Er, what "new compiler?"  The latest I'm aware of is v9.00.030612.02 released on April 06, 2005, 4:19:07 PM...

Doh I meant the FSX compiler not a new makemdl  soz for the confussion
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 1st Mar, 2007 at 3:28pm

samdim   Offline
Polygon Twister
Créateur d'avions

Chuck,
can you please explain how to change the exterior model size in the "choose aircraft" dialog ? I prefer the "pure hex mdl" method.
The VC scaling works very fine, thank you for your method.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 1st Mar, 2007 at 4:08pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A picture of simlpicity Dimitri , four clics of a mouse button and you're done

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #20 - 5th Mar, 2007 at 3:08pm

bpahe   Offline
Polygon Twister
I have an explicit OBED
Sweden

Hi!

Ok, got it (for those of you who read the message which I deleted - it was just a question of really following instructions...)!

Looks soo much better - BUT!  Roll Eyes

For some reason the placement of my eyepoint in the VC, and also the strobe on the tail, is way too high when I load the plane in FS9 - a couple of feet above the canopy. The VC itself is correctly placed, as far as I can tell. Is there a explanation to this misplacement?

/hans

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 5th Mar, 2007 at 6:37pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Hmmmm... Have you tried adjusting the "eyepoint" entry in the aircraft.cfg file?  That's where you set the initial "eyeball height" for the VC.

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #22 - 6th Mar, 2007 at 4:00am

bpahe   Offline
Polygon Twister
I have an explicit OBED
Sweden

Hi!

Well, yes, that solves the eyepoint trouble, but I have to investigate the interior asm file to check if there is any height reference in it that could mess things up. Setting the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg only solves half of the problem.

/hans

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 6th Mar, 2007 at 12:51pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

bpahe wrote on 6th Mar, 2007 at 4:00am:
Hi!

Well, yes, that solves the eyepoint trouble, but I have to investigate the interior asm file to check if there is any height reference in it that could mess things up. Setting the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg only solves half of the problem.

/hans

Here is some "food for thought..."

If a model has only an exterior, the base origin point for the "eyepoint" is determined by the 0,0,0 point of the exterior model.

If a model has both exterior and interior models, the base origin point for the "eyepoint" is determined by the 0,0,0 point of the interior model.

It appears to me from your description. that the steps you are taking to resolve the 4mm weld threshold is shifting the 0,0,0 point so that it is no longer coincident with the exterior model's 0,0,0 point.

The reason why I still strongly advocate use of top nodes named "exterior" and "interior" is because of the need for the exterior model's and interior model's to both share a coincident origin (0,0,0).

Because all parts under either of the top nodes is Linked to them, it is a simple matter to Unlink all the parts from either one, recenter the base node, then (re)Link all the parts again... Wink

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #24 - 8th Mar, 2007 at 7:59am

bpahe   Offline
Polygon Twister
I have an explicit OBED
Sweden

Hi!

I´ve put this aside for the moment but still I think of what might not be right here. I have, with all of my heart, taken in your tutorial on export of interior/exterior using top nodes. The only way that I differ from your method is that I do not turn my dummys into meshes, they are just plain dummys, and it works like it should anyway.
My file "Master Export", which I use to merge the 2 parts of the project for exporting, shows no difference in the placement of the dummys, it´s all 0,0,0.
What I just came to think of, is that I choose the scale tool, press F12 for exact type-in, enter 1600% in Offset world, try to reset scale applied as much as can be done (lot´s of "that Windows sound" otherwise), and export. Doing this, scaling also the dummy, might move the placement of the dummy. Or perhaps is it not moved - I´ve also tried scaling all except the Interior top node (the dummy). So, if I when I get home, scale all to 1600% and then make sure that the dummy is placed at 0,0,0, it might work? Hmm...  Wink

/hans

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 8th Mar, 2007 at 11:26pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Ok... this discussion really should have been taken to another forum, since this is supposed to be (mostly) a read-only "Tips" forum...

However, since were here already, I'll say this much more on the subject.

1) The use of true Max/GMax "Dummy Helpers" (non-geometric pivot points) is fine for the top nodes in the heirarchy.

2) However, those type nodes are not to be used for anything which requires animation, because animations are strippred from non-geometric nodes, so small "cubes" or even a single, planar triangle mesh object should be used...

Because of this, I've totally abandoned the use of either of the above.  Instead, I have created a small triangle mesh object, then in vertex sublevel selected all three vertices and "Collapsed" them to a single vertex with pivot...

No polys used, a single pivot point that may be placed anywhere, and totally invisible!  The latter is important because in FSX all objects with geomentry are displayed, even if the Material Color is set to pure black (0,0,0)...  Cool

I then saved the scene as a new .gmax file. I can then Merge this new type of heirarchy node into any project as needed.  Grin

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #26 - 9th Mar, 2007 at 2:24am

bpahe   Offline
Polygon Twister
I have an explicit OBED
Sweden

Quote:
Ok... this discussion really should have been taken to another forum, since this is supposed to be (mostly) a read-only "Tips" forum...

Hi!

Indeed you are right. Lets just say that it´s Lionhearts tutorial that I have followed regarding top nodes. Your method seems to be a good idea, though.

We´ll end this thread here, I just want to say thank you all for all help regarding this matter, which might become historic soon, since as mentioned the FSX gamepack does not have this problem.

All the best

/hans

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 18th Jan, 2009 at 3:40pm

Spad54   Offline
Polygon Twister
Golden Age Simulations
USA

Just a note of thanks to all the folks that came up with this work around.  I've been struggling with the distortion of parts in the VC model since I started doing this.  Yesterday I finally had enough of great looking parts looking like crushed tin foil.  The instruction here from Luka and Wozza was invaluable.  I encountered only one problem with the landing lights after the BGL compile.  The beams would not show.  On the Boeing 40 the lights are animated and I had the poly as a child of the light rotating with it as it deployed.  I could see the poly glow and the beam start but as the animation ended the beam was no where to be seen.  Got on line with Wozza and between us could not figure out what went wrong.  The solution turned out to be to leave the poly fixed as a non-parented part, placed in the deployed position.  It worked fine and the fact that it does not move with the light is not readily apparent.  Small price to pay for a crisp looking VC. Anyone else experience any similar problem or shed light on why it does that? Thanks everyone!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #28 - 23rd Oct, 2009 at 5:26am

decapod   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Many thanks for this fix - the principle worked for me too although I used a very slightly different method.

I use the 3D Canvas modelling tool with a standard DirectX .X file export.
I have two separate models for exterior and interior, both are exported with no scaling.

I then edited the interior .X file with notepad before running MakeMDL.
I located the first FrameTransformMatrix and changed the first 3 diagonal values of 1 to 16 - this scales everything by 16

Code:
Frame BASwallow_INT {

FrameTransformMatrix {
	  16.00E+00, 0.00E+00, 0.00E+00, 0.00E+00,
	  0.00E+00, 16.00E+00, 0.00E+00, 0.00E+00,
	  0.00E+00, 0.00E+00, 16.00E+00, 0.00E+00,
	  0.00E+00, 0.00E+00, 0.00E+00, 1.00E+00;;
    } 

I then ran MakeMDL, edited the ASM but only changed the last SUPERSCALE line to 2, then put it through BGLC9 with no file renaming or copying.

Now I'm very happy with the result  Grin

edit - Pic added:

« Last Edit: 23rd Oct, 2009 at 6:28pm by decapod »  
IP Logged

Reply #29 - 6th Jan, 2010 at 8:39pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Very interesting find DecaPod!

Who would have known you could call the scales all in the same file, in the same batch export.

Bill

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print