Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Forum? (Read 7563 times)
9th Mar, 2007 at 7:43pm

andyjohnston.net   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Good Grief

Would there be any interest in a Missions Forum?

I for one am in the process of trying to create my first simple mission and I'm about to tear my hair out!  It would allow people to share their experience, just like the others forums...fora...fori...what's the plural of forum?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 9th Mar, 2007 at 9:19pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

To be perfectly honest, there's already a dedicated "Missions" forum at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

...but the weeds are already armpit tall there.   Shocked

The last post was on 09/03/06...  Roll Eyes

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 12:29am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Andy,

I would like to see that.  I am interested in how to do missions for FSX and would be one to paruse it daily.  Good idea.

Bill

PS; the bribe payoff to Felix might be substantial though..   We'd have to all chip in, lol...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 5:07am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

I think a bigger source of bribery revenue would be produced from the idea of a FS9 > FSX model conversion sub-forum. *sigh*

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 6:45am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Seen at SOH , what we need is an obituary as it would appear MS has shot and pissed on the remains ,,, pulling all
support docs , sdk , 9.1 update and all signs of its propaganda and related piffle.... i could not imagine the intent
was anything other than to program us to buy the new product and bury all traces of the old .....
Its rather unseemly to see how fast they shoveled the dirt , pulling this stuff at the same time as the new version came out like they could not get it done fast enough  ... reminds me of whatserfaces mother on CNN last week.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I will leave the benediction to the Good Friar as my Latin is rusty left unused in some moist recess of my brain 22 yearsMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 10th Mar, 2007 at 9:12am by Chuck Jodry »  

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 7:08am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

The 9.1 service pack is still here. (note the GUID  Grin )

The SDK's have vanished though, somehow I must have had a divine tip off as I downloaded the lot less than a week ago.  Roll Eyes
It does seem odd in that the 2002 sdk's were available throughout the fs9 life cycle.

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 7:20am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Guys

I stopped frequenting the fsdeveloper forum when some guy started telling everyone that good freeware was being unfair to payware developers.

So for me that killed the sites credibility as that is B******* by any standard Roll Eyes

Regards
Rick Wink

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 7:25am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

You can still download the SDK's from this site

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 7:31am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Rick_Piper wrote on 10th Mar, 2007 at 7:20am:
Hi Guys

I stopped frequenting the fsdeveloper forum when some guy started telling everyone that good freeware was being unfair to payware developers.

So for me that killed the sites credibility as that is B******* by any standard Roll Eyes

Regards
Rick Wink

Yeah I noticed that too... Grin
Given the quality of YOUR freeware Rick, by that token you must be the 'enemy' over there... Cool

I just want my hobby to remain fun, without politics and platform issues, life offers enough crap elsewhere.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 7:42am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Yep...

I found out about it at Sim-Outhouse also as Chuck did.  The post is getting long now and over 400 views in a single afternoon.

Here is the link to the thread;  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I think its sad and a rough statement on behalf of MS.  My FS9 is indeed very much 'not' dead.  I am not happy with FSX.  I never run it.  Its a slide show just like CFS3 was when it came out.  That and what they did to us to create models, the massively complex levels, and GUID's????   arrghh....  My FS9 is resurrected!

Wozza also had some eye-opening things to say.

You think about it, there are many people out there in third world countries (as well as in America) with antiquated computers, (all they can afford) that can barely run FS9.  Some are still running FS2000.  We get people in here wanting to make planes for FS98.  You have seen them.  That they (MS) would yank FS9 says one thing to me.  FS9 was competing against FSX and winning.  That they can just yank it tells me they are competing against themselves.  A house that turns against itself shall surely fall.

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 8:00am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

I dunno if it is just me but I attempted my first model for FS9 last year, and man that was like a total headswerve. 
Speaking from that context I don't think things have got any more complicated with the new SDK short of providing the additional functionality available in the new sim, sure I've now got to relearn a load of new syntax but I don't reckon the task if you are newly engaging in the hobby is any more difficult than it was for me this time last year, other than the not insignificant fact that the amassed knowledge available here for FS9 and 2k2 was already immense.
The sim itself presently I cannot run due to the 800mhz/Riva TNT equipped machine I'm still using, but every new release of FS has outreached the available (to most mortals) hardware and the same arguments have been levelled at MS since FS went Windows.
I'm gonna truly wet myself laughing if this SDK situation is merely a MS web upgrade issue and they all re-appear in the next coupla weeks.

btw does any one remember BAO Flightshop, blimey I bought a copy of that once and took it straight back to the shop because it looked too complicated!!!  Shocked

Flight Sim is dead, long live Flight Sim.

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 11:28am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Rick_Piper wrote on 10th Mar, 2007 at 7:20am:
Hi Guys

Regards
Rick Wink

So, one person farts in church and you condemn the entire congregation?  Every forum/website/email list has its share of trolls, or those with trollish behaviors.  I just ignore 'em for the most part.  However, from the looks of the "poll" and the entire discussion, it would appear that Hort's initial comment was poorly received - or at least misunderstood.  English is not his native language after all.  Undecided

Most of the folks at fsdeveloper.com are freeware producers... In fact, if you aren't aware of this, fsdeveloper.com is nothing more than an expansion of scenerydesign.org, and is hosted/managed by several of the TOP freeware scenery producers.  Arno G. is the Administrator, and without his and Doc Moriarity's "FREEWARE" tools, most of the really cool free & payware scenery wouldn't be possible... Wink

If anyone uses the Middleman/ModelCommander in their GMax-FS9 modeling path, one-half of that came from Doc Moriarty.  Arno's famous for his animation tools among another dozoen or so must-have programs.  Grin

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 5:35pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Quote:
So, one person farts in church and you condemn the entire congregation?

Surely, if it made you gag it might be an idea to politely leave and make for fresh air awhile.  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 6:20pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

To keep the thread on track, I agree that Andy's idea of a Missions forum room is a good one.  I think its worth a test to see if it gets attention for 30 days and if not, perhaps we can delete it.  (Just a thought).

To now regress and go back to the direction the thread has gone too....

I too had seen how Aces was now working with a key number of payware groups and it seems that perhaps freeware was a slight 'bother'.

It was freeware that made FS what it is today.  Fr. Bill points this out with freeware tools.  I use DXTBmp daily, as well as Model Commander.  (I really need to send Moriarty a donation, and have so to DXTBmp as I am massively grateful for their work).  But, payware was born of people that would invest in teh time to make planes far far more better then even Microsoft 'had' at the time, (their new FSX models are a 'change' to perfection and massively impressive and very much so payware quality now, which makes me proud of them for doing that).

But if we get rid of the small guys that replaced making plastic models with making sim models, (which is evident that that is where the group of very good model makers came from, me being a slight off-shoot of them, making design models), if they are 'eradicated' by making things too difficult by making HIGHLY complex operations for these models as well as making a $3,000.00 program the platform to make them on instead of Gmax or FSDS, then perhaps its time to look for either a new FS or to just camp out and stay with FS9..........

<----  to go even further on the 'biblical' direction, just now reading Hebrews..  Great read.  Never realised the implications of the 'new Covenant'.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 10th Mar, 2007 at 6:37pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

lionheart wrote on 10th Mar, 2007 at 6:20pm:
I too had seen how Aces was now working with a key number of payware groups and it seems that perhaps freeware was a slight 'bother'.

The group of folks invited to "work with ACES" in terms of a closer relationship numbered just over 300. Of that initial group, more than 200 were freeware folks, including all of the "big guns" in the freeware arena, as well as quite a few of the less well-known.

To spin the facts to make it sound like only payware folks were included is more than disengenuous, it is simply wrong...  Shocked

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print