Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Citation Sovereign, a boolean adventure (Read 27545 times)
11th Mar, 2007 at 7:58pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

.... anyone seen a three view for this here Citation  ? , looks ok  over a series of pics and mapped to the mesh
but i need  to double check with a good set of drawings .... Felix , Fr Bill , Membership at large
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The help would be apreciated in bringing this popular model out as a freeware project
« Last Edit: 14th Apr, 2007 at 3:01pm by Chuck Jodry »  

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 11th Mar, 2007 at 8:46pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Checketh thy (FFDS Forum Listed) e-mail.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 11th Mar, 2007 at 11:09pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

That one I dont have. 

But...   I see the owner of the worlds LARGEST collection of 3 views 'does', as always...   

Must be one huge collection of books....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 11th Mar, 2007 at 11:14pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Dang! That's some mighty fine looking mesh there!  Cool

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 12th Mar, 2007 at 4:21am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Many thanks Felix you are indispensable , its funny that i can find 1500 photos of the interior , exterior , 360 degree quicktime panoramic views and not one 3 view showed up in a search ... anyhoo thanks for the " leg up " Gents.
I had been working on another design by Dr Raymer but decided one "concept " aircraft was enough for the moment and poking around showed there were no examples of this particular aircraft available .
I promised myself to take my time with this model after having blown through the last pair in a month it will be good to have some documentation to work from on what should be a popular model if i manage to throw everything
i learned over the last year and a half into its creation  .....shamefully its the passenger that seems to be bearing
the brunt of speculative code with the last XML passing through my mind a conditional display of the day of the week
being readable ... on her undies ,    and on a more plebeian note how to go about getting cabin monitors to display stuff

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 12th Mar, 2007 at 8:11am

JerryG   Offline
Polygon Twister
pushing verticies is theraputic
Seattle, Washington

Chuck,
Might I suggest "Jane's All the world Aircraft". You can usually find it in the reference section of a library. I have a paper copy of the Citation and that's where I got it.  Smiley

Jerry

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 12th Mar, 2007 at 8:57am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Quote:
the brunt of speculative code with the last XML passing through my mind a conditional display of the day of the week being readable ... on her undies

So what would be the 'conditions' (apart from the day of the week) that would make this 'display' become manifest.?

I suppose owning a Citation would help... Grin

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 12th Mar, 2007 at 9:01am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

JerryG wrote on 12th Mar, 2007 at 8:11am:
Chuck,
Might I suggest "Jane's All the world Aircraft". You can usually find it in the reference section of a library. I have a paper copy of the Citation and that's where I got it.  Smiley

Jerry  

Jerry - Stop giving away trade secrets!  Let 'em believe I conjure up these things!

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 12th Mar, 2007 at 9:25am

JerryG   Offline
Polygon Twister
Seattle, Washington

LOL.....Sorry........  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 12th Mar, 2007 at 11:57am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

If i must trade a secret , i figured that crossing and uncrossing her legs would provide conditional dislpay of the text.
we will see what flying inverted does when the time comes

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 12th Mar, 2007 at 1:37pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

LOLOL.......

Get your mind back on Poly's..   not Pollies....

Grin

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 13th Mar, 2007 at 10:19am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Getting my dirty mind  on topic i set about drilling holes

Contrary to most my boolean cuts always get done on editable mesh no exeptions

Interior and exterior fuse were one part and the other a cut out plug was a series of tubes attached together.
Alternate cuts produced the windows with seperate inside/outside and interior frames plus the glass
the doors and door frames and two emergency exits also have framed glass .
The inner and outer frames have been mapped to the exterior fuse bitmap but so as to be able to see them
i shaded them grey , on the aircraft there are an assortment of things to be painted on these depending on position

Mapping the preliminary texture through uvmapper pro to get the bitmap started
the doors and exits needed only to have the  uv fuse mapping copied and pasted into the stack with about a second
apiece and one right mouse click needed to line things up perfectly.

To get enough mesh into the fuse i made a tube of 64 sides and 32 length segments and then cloned it reducing
the sides to 32 , converting to mesh i chopped out the bits of the 64 sided tube that were low rez or had no windows and then chopped the 32 sided tube up into a filler welding the results back together and resetting the X Form
before colapsing the stack and forming the mesh with floor inner walls ,doors and windows all chopped out of a single mesh that gets cloned three times along with the cut plug for a series of 3 boolean operations .. after this stage i always keep a copy of the fuse cutplug handy for trimming off the ends of inside components so they fit the shape perfectly .
At some point i will chop  the fuse up into bits for interior mapping and paste them pack together.
The wings and tail await.....there i go again thinking about tail .... tisk tisk

Welding the post boolean mesh and the least touch of smoothing were added at the subobject level with the results
a perfect chopjob without a single polygon out of order

« Last Edit: 13th Mar, 2007 at 3:14pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 13th Mar, 2007 at 8:26pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Very nice Boolean cut, Chuck.  Came out nice and smooth.

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 14th Mar, 2007 at 3:50pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

After adding the wings i noted how hard it is to see anything on a strait white background and so i tried light blue,
leading to the conclusion  try gold , black and crome for the next test once a tail section is completed.
The wings have had the flaps and ailerons cut out without post boolean artifacts , the crome leading edge is painted
on the texture for the moment with the whole texture having alpha reflections in differing amounts.. i like the shine
but am not leaving this bird blue

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 14th Mar, 2007 at 9:58pm

N2056   Offline
I see blue spots...
San Diego, CA USA

Most Impressive...I'm amazed at how quickly you're putting these projects together!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 15th Mar, 2007 at 7:06pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Due to control problems i added the tail , rudder and elevators ... also noticed a lack of acceleration hence the engines seemed a worthwhile addition.. better get some wheels on this soon so i can land.
The interior will come soon with the center of the front window first on my list , funny what drives a guy nuts but
that element missing does just that

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 15th Mar, 2007 at 7:19pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
I want axis-driven animations
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

That's fast indeed, and result is beautiful!

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 15th Mar, 2007 at 8:09pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Geewhizz i thought i was taking my time and not letting anything substandard get by  , a recent example available as freeware is easy to outclass due to the mangled mesh , the payware Citation X is on the otherhand is a masterwork and going to take some fancy footwork to emulate .
I wanted to produce one of those models that gets used often on low end machines and has a paint kit included
so the VA's have a nice new toy available to those who cant or wont afford themselves the payware version
because of low end machines or a low budget.  

« Last Edit: 15th Mar, 2007 at 10:12pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 16th Mar, 2007 at 1:43am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Nice work Chuck..

For some reason, James Bond comes to mind..     Gold Finger.........  The man with the Goldennnnnnnnnnn plane...

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 16th Mar, 2007 at 6:37am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

An MI6 paint sceme is worth thinking about , although by the time this is fully textured the alpha channel will probably
be toned down a notch or two in order to tone down the reflections to something like one finds in a gold flake paint job.
But i will wait until all of the parts are on the bitmap first so i only need to doctor the alpha once.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 17th Mar, 2007 at 2:48pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

While doing some research on this projest i came across this on the Cessna home page , the rest of the paint sceme and exactly the right shade of gold to use.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 17th Mar, 2007 at 4:17pm

JerryG   Offline
Polygon Twister
Seattle, Washington

Your cessna is comming along great. I like the gold scheme. Is the Cessna on thier homepage really gold or does it just appear that way because it in a sunset????  I have been looking for a decentfreeware Cessna X for awhile. I had gathered paper infor on it but decided I had enough projects on my plate so relegated it to the ToDo list.  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 17th Mar, 2007 at 4:51pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks for looking in , that shot was the first thing i saw here Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register as for website production they have the full package .. worth the time if you got some to spare

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 18th Mar, 2007 at 8:51pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Booleans .... more booleans and still more booleans the gear needed holes to hide in , 
textures are getting to the tone i saw in the photo "sunset gold"  plenty to do yet but the contact points are done
and it has some wheels

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 18th Mar, 2007 at 11:46pm

pcbroken   Offline
Spline Extruder
Trying to move vertices.
Only trying though.
Bogota, Colombia

I'm not so sure about the engines Chuck. They look both too small and quite itchy on the shadowing.

Regards&&Juan Sebastián González
IP Logged

Reply #25 - 19th Mar, 2007 at 12:42pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

You'd be right about that and aside from thrust reversers they were bereft of innerds , so the mesh has been massaged

" prop " disks  installed  a tad of smoothing  for good measure and last but not least a smidge of rotation .
Should have done it sooner but i kept on cutting out the fuse for so long i forgot , then contact points,  color choices
you know how it goes .
Any one else has a idea or concern the time to fix these is now before getting on with the doors and detailed mapping of frames and control surfaces and wiggly bits so let em rip .. thanks in advance CJ

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 19th Mar, 2007 at 9:00pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Well one concern i had was the gold was not going anywhere and sterling had a bit more potential for painting on

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 20th Mar, 2007 at 11:43am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I had a good time with the trio of Photoshop , Paintshop Pro and Max running through the exterior parts list and filling
out one 1024 to about 85% full .
The outside looks about as flashy as i hoped  with room left for some logo on the tail section , also completed were
all the flaps and control surface animations and installing a Spada panel for the 2d means a bit of flight testing was in order.

In the old days this meant the endgame was at hand but for this we can now move on to the VC ! !
The model with cabin walls , floor , doors and windows ready as mesh to be mapped with the extertior more or less complete contains just over 20,000 poly's .

Later Edit after going through my cabin photo selection and sticking one in the model
about where i need to produce those same bits , with this to work from it saves guessing about scale and rendering
the results of the VC panel produces the 2D bitmap as an exact match

« Last Edit: 20th Mar, 2007 at 4:08pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 20th Mar, 2007 at 2:51pm

JerryG   Offline
Polygon Twister
Seattle, Washington

Looking Good Chuck!!!!   Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 21st Mar, 2007 at 12:08pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The first peek inside the window at the drawing of the interior and its texture set now underway was a great moment,
i always was into the interior of any model and this was the first mapped part alond with the drop floor .
At the same time the seat textures were drawn along with all rear cabin furniture elements on a bitmap
256x512 shaped like that so i could tile the repeated lights and wall segments with much better resolution on a tiny
map

IP Logged

Reply #30 - 21st Mar, 2007 at 9:10pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Time to get the bar and other amenities installed in the cabin and little boys room in the back , i also modeled
the little closet in there that they claim to be the size of a travel bag .
The doors open by clicking on them and when the extending tables go in they should also use XML allowing any
of the animations to be operated with a switch in the vc on a panel or popup.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - 22nd Mar, 2007 at 3:29am

pepper   Offline
Polygon Twister
The Netherlands

Looks great!

IP Logged

Reply #32 - 22nd Mar, 2007 at 1:13pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The Bar is open !  ... but its empty .... need booze ...

Kidding aside it was a longish session the front and back fufniture done i still need to make the tables and a few decorative
electronic bits but the main modeling job remaing is the cockpit and a couple of people .

« Last Edit: 22nd Mar, 2007 at 11:09pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #33 - 24th Mar, 2007 at 10:51pm

Brian_Gladden   Offline
Polygon Twister
!
Berlin VT

Beautiful Sovi..... Had one in the hanger a couple of months ago at work. Almost brand new.... less than 200 hours on her. Still had the "new airplane smell" inside. If you wanna throw together the Soverign's little brother the Excel, I can get all the data and 3 views you want on them. We have one in our charter fleet and I have access to the POH and maintnance manuals. (not to mention detailed photos if you need em') I even have an old Flight Safety Excel checklist book in my locker at work that someone "tried" to throw away. I've thought about doing an Excel myself but I don't really have the time to design planes much anymore. I'm sorta working on a Challenger 601 but progress is slow.

Brian

Definition of a complex airplane: landing a taildragger on pavement with a 20 knot quartering crosswind
IP Logged

Reply #34 - 24th Mar, 2007 at 11:49pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

I am in awe of how quickly Chuck can "pull things together" and produce such an outstanding model so quickly.  I only wish I was that talented.  I spend months just getting to the stage Chuck's at now in just over a week!  Cry

Brian, did the XLS you see look anything like this one? Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #35 - 25th Mar, 2007 at 12:42am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

That is a kind offer and i might need your help , at the moment i am doing the cockpit and panel for the VC and some close up photos or documents on the avionics of cessna jets would come in handy.
So far the $VC bitmaps are mapped ,  the panel background done  , and screens have gauges positioned although
the content on them is under developement  and the FMC's are up and running.
There are scads of parts to go in yet but it was the time to get the panelwork underway as it will take a while to get
this one done and it offers a break from max .

The panel itself is rather uncluttered from the photos i have ( exept for 600 screws ) but none have the resolution to
read whats on them and nor have i the chance to see one of these birds and so any info on the avionics will
come in handy .

As to doing another Cessna the Mustang could end up my next project .

IP Logged

Reply #36 - 25th Mar, 2007 at 6:54am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Kind of you to say so Bill , i suspect your talents and experience are such that you could fly through the production
phase as quickly as i do and for the same reason ,, few mistakes to fix and a familiarity with the production tools that limits guesswork but your " seasoned " now and methodical in your progression ... a trait i am trying to follow with limited success as you can see .
It was interesting to see the XLS post and look over the pics both there and at Eaglesofts website for comparison of your past models , current projects and its easy to tell the influence a top class team can make in the outcome of any
production where one notes the texture work is what makes a good bit of mesh great.
The conclusion i reached is that the greatest improvement in my work seems possible by spending more time learning to use photoshop to its fullest potential and that program is about as complex as Gmax/3DS to learn , i hope it take less time to master than did the basic of modeling in max where i can spew out a bit of mesh in no time flat.
Good thing Lionheart is such a prolific poster on the subject of photoshop , although he would horrified to learn that i tend to use a wireless laptop
and read through posts during my morning abolutions in much the same way others take a newspaper along .
For some reason they seem to improve peristolis

« Last Edit: 25th Mar, 2007 at 7:59am by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 25th Mar, 2007 at 11:23am

Brian_Gladden   Offline
Polygon Twister
!
Berlin VT

Grin I saw the XLS Bill..... I've been eagerly awaiting it for some time. I was saying that if Chuck wanted to throw together a quick XL/XLS I could help him out with info. We have three jets at work one of which is an 1989 Citation XL N884B. I'd send a pic of it but it's so busy, it's almost never at home, and when it is I never have my camera at work. Which also shows it's reliability, the plane almost never breaks and the only time she seems to spend any signifigant time in the shop is when it's in for regualar inspections. We also have a Challenger 601 (there's a nice pic of it on airliners.net, just search N79AN) and a Citation Encore along with four King Air C-90's. All of which I have to clean inside and out Shocked I do like the XLS' Primus 21 avionics better than the Pro Lines in the XL. We had a nice XLS from Netjets in the shop a few weeks ago and with the screens all powered up it was real nice.

Brian

Definition of a complex airplane: landing a taildragger on pavement with a 20 knot quartering crosswind
IP Logged

Reply #38 - 25th Mar, 2007 at 11:49am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
Good thing Lionheart is such a prolific poster on the subject of photoshop , although he would horrified to learn that i tend to use a wireless laptop
and read through posts during my morning abolutions in much the same way others take a newspaper along .
For some reason they seem to improve peristolis

Grin  I had thought about setting up a wireless extension to my home LAN, but decided against it in the end... I spend 14+ hours/day in front of a computer screen as it is, so need to draw the line somewhere!  Shocked

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #39 - 25th Mar, 2007 at 9:20pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Quote:
and read through posts during my morning abolutions in much the same way others take a newspaper along .  For some reason they seem to improve peristolis

Thanks Chuck,

I often wonder if people ever read my posts, lol.  I do like to teach but dont want to be bothersome.

I check the forums here and at Sim Outhouse in the mornings and evenings before bed like a newspaper also.  Kind of puts me into the mood in the mornings though there have been times when it takes me an hour to get through only two websites and check emails.  That is a very long and valuable bit of time.

If I had a wireless laptop that was powerful enough, I could see going to the coffeeshop/bookstore to check emails and post at forums.  Would be a good change of pace.

Your jet is coming along very well!  I know how hard they can be to make.  Folding the gear and not having it come through the carpet is very difficult.  Another difficult thing for me to do was the door, making it flush.  I ended up having the sides of the door animate away from the edge of the skin about 2 scaled inches in animation when the door became flush to keep an 'edge' from illuminating.  Stressful.  The best part though when it was finished was the soft glow illumination (light maps) inside the jet.  That was a really nice feeling to see them running properly.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - 26th Mar, 2007 at 2:28pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The night textures were what i was playing with for the last while as it happens to get what effect i can from XML
lighting conditions and textures at night , including transparencies like the wineglass that appears on the table when it is extended .
It can take time to get it right and just as long to get it wrong some days with at least 3 hours spent on the roof line back lighting until they got near passable .
The computer screens and crapper  will go in soon but  i was spreading the load between textures and modeling the panel while waiting to finding out just what is on the panel in this bird hoping for a few side views in the cockpit and elsewhere to fill in the blanks.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - 27th Mar, 2007 at 3:58am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

How can you do it so fast Chuck? And so good! Do you sleep at night, or keep modelling instead? Grin

Looking great!

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #42 - 27th Mar, 2007 at 4:37am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I found a fast forward button in the 3DS tools rollout.... Cool

IP Logged

Reply #43 - 27th Mar, 2007 at 10:56am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Say Chuck, I notice that the Soverign and the Citation X have the same cabin height of 68" (5' 7") as measured from the recessed center well to the ceiling.

Here is a scan from a marketing brochure I have showing the proportion of seat/cabin interior a bit better:

The scanned image is actually 1275x1753 pixels at 150pix/inch resolution.  Contact me directly at n4gix@comcast.net if you'd like all the pictures in the brochure, including a double-page, hi-res photo of the cockpit's main panel.

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #44 - 27th Mar, 2007 at 11:01am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Ta Fr.Bill i will do just that and a bit of scaling with the chairs , i did not make them recliners (yet) so there won't be  many complications i hope

Productive session spent figuring out how holographic wineglasses and etched glass were done and taking care of the
last bits of night lighting in the cabin mean its modeling time again .... lets see what we can do about a computer.

IP Logged

Reply #45 - 27th Mar, 2007 at 11:16am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Here's a composited picture of the double-page spread of the full cabin width.  I've resized this to 1024 width to remain within the limits of Imageshack. I had adjusted the color curves on the right side, but forgot to apply the same curve profile to the left half  Embarrassed

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #46 - 27th Mar, 2007 at 4:53pm

NWarty   Offline
Spline Extruder
"Pushing Polys in Iraq"
Oly, WA

Beautiful work Chuck!  Wink

Blake Melancon&&Scaled Composites Pond Racer N221BP&&
IP Logged

Reply #47 - 28th Mar, 2007 at 2:38pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Going with the flow today installing the Flushing toilet and sink with running water , 9 animations and a conditional
display node went through the compiler's like they were using  Exlax.
Also on the mornings list was the computer now up and running it deploys from the wall and displays a moving
topographical map or 4 pages of data , 2 more animations there also went through during the same compile
bringing the total to 11 new animations in one shot without an error code .. getting lucky or getting good at this .

IP Logged

Reply #48 - 28th Mar, 2007 at 4:01pm

JerryG   Offline
Polygon Twister
Seattle, Washington

Cool Astounding Chuck. It's looking great!!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #49 - 28th Mar, 2007 at 10:16pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The project is moving at M.92 and i need to start getting the cockpit finished off , one of my preferred methods is
taking a flight or two to gain some perspective and start the process of bug hunting and fault finding .
There is a scratch pad with notes on my desk that has a few findings in need of attention but it is much shorter
than i have normally delt with at this stage.

IP Logged

Reply #50 - 29th Mar, 2007 at 11:27am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

IP Logged

Reply #51 - 29th Mar, 2007 at 10:14pm

Brian_Gladden   Offline
Polygon Twister
!
Berlin VT

Red button is the Autopilot disconnect... the two piece oblong switch is the electric pitch trim and as far as I know the leftmost button is either the mike button or the transponder ident button.

Brian

IP Logged

Reply #52 - 30th Mar, 2007 at 6:46am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks ! ,, that is good news being easy to get functional.
Timing could not be better as i spent the better part of a modeling session getting those parts done last night and
now i have some idea what to do with them.

IP Logged

Reply #53 - 30th Mar, 2007 at 12:05pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Chuck, take note that the "switch/button" cluster is on the port "leg" of the pilot's yoke, but on the starboard "leg" of the copilot's yoke.  Cool

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #54 - 30th Mar, 2007 at 6:48pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks for the tidbit Fr.Bill the pics you sent showed that and now that there are two yolks i mirrored and moved them into positioned , plus all the animations and buttons work  .. keep those tidbits coming .

IP Logged

Reply #55 - 30th Mar, 2007 at 8:23pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

While you're at it, you may as well add a mousepoint somewhere on the pilot's and copilot's sidewalls to hide/unhide the yokes as desired... Wink

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #56 - 31st Mar, 2007 at 8:11am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

That i could see doing with pilot figures in a vc but as regards the yolks there are as yet no real visibility
problems  mind you there are a number of elements that remain to be added , do you suggest this as an aid to clear the field of view or is there an improvement in framerates to be had as a result ?
If the latter would producing a clickspot that removes the bulk of the VC , IE everything behind the users field of view
be a viable option for use in high density scenery during take off and landing.

IP Logged

Reply #57 - 31st Mar, 2007 at 11:51am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
If the latter would producing a clickspot that removes the bulk of the VC , IE everything behind the users field of view
be a viable option for use in high density scenery during take off and landing.

Absolutely!  It could be as simple as having an animated, sliding door which, when closed, would "hide" everything on the other side... Wink

My practice is to keep all parts hidden and/or absent entirely that cannot be seen from the cockpit from any angle a normal sized head might be positioned during flight... meaning, no "sticking your head out the window! Wink

To determine what to include, I move my eyepoint in the sim and look in every possible direction taking noites on "What would I see from this angle?"

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #58 - 31st Mar, 2007 at 12:25pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Then its settled , when the door to the passenger cabin is closed its contents will vanish.

IP Logged

Reply #59 - 31st Mar, 2007 at 12:40pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Man, you guys..   You are taking away cool elements on the plane.

When I created the LearFan, I loved to imagine myself sitting in the back while the pilot flew the plane, (Auto..   Auto the pilot, lol).  But still, I could sit in the rear, look at Nantucket passing below, and click the Open Cabin Door several times to see up front and just look around.

I guess it would really help on frame rates, but making it all disappear seems like a shame.  However, I 'do' this with the engine under the cowling, (endcap_wing_fold) so the frame rates keep up there.  

I too did a 'hide yoke' on a couple of my planes.  They really needed it though.  I think my LearFan didnt as your view was steep and went over the top, if I recall correctly.  If it does hide stuff, I strongly agree to this.

Too bad there isnt a way to click and 'stay' at a position in the rear cabin compartment.  I remember that Bill Lyons had a way of doing this but cant remember how.  Was pretty ingenious.

Oh well, just thought I would share some input.  My humble two cents worth...  

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #60 - 31st Mar, 2007 at 1:49pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I agree totally about the pleasure of placing yourself in the back of the plane and do it all the time , there is going
to be a problem if someone clicks on the cabin door from the back as the entire cabin will vanish from under him
unless i stick a transparent plane over the door to prevent that from happening.
None the less there is plenty of stuff to play with in the back , one can even take a virtual dump and wash up afterwards plus  this solution allows me to automaticly install a pilot in the seat as one leaves the cockpit .
The model is starting to get fairly large and some measures are going to be needed to keep it usable on low end
machines that are still a common problem "ahem" cough .
By the time i have all the aircraft components are installed along with passengers and crew this thing will hit 65.000 per leaving little choice other than hiding bits or flying it from the 2d panel to keep things moving along nicely.

IP Logged

Reply #61 - 31st Mar, 2007 at 1:49pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Well, with FSX's new "camera system" where we can easily set up "pax seat views" I may have to do some serious "rethink" on some of this.

For example, if the current view is "Pax Seat #3" and "Cockpit Door Closed" then "Hide Cockpit parts."

However, there currently is no code in place in FSX to determine which of the "VC Views" is active... Maybe someday I'll think of some way around this impasse.

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #62 - 2nd Apr, 2007 at 7:57pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

After spending a pleasant weekend visiting a number of our local " Sugar Shacks " and eating way more than is
good for me its time to get back in the pilots seat as it were , apart from doing the preliminary bitmaps for the electrical panel i did not even boot up Max for two whole days so we both are suffering from withdrawal symptoms..
at least max ain't hypoglycemic  

So without further hyperbole the following

if the big one is as i suspect the spoilers where are they on the wings ?

IP Logged

Reply #63 - 4th Apr, 2007 at 9:52pm

Brian_Gladden   Offline
Polygon Twister
!
Berlin VT

the left one is the spoiler handle and the right is the flap handle

As for the spoilers themselves... it looks like in this picture that they are the panels just forward of the flaps in this pic from the Cessna website

Brian

IP Logged

Reply #64 - 4th Apr, 2007 at 10:02pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks Brian , the spoilers are hard to see on the wings in any of the pics i have including this one
i was wondering if this aircraft even had any

IP Logged

Reply #65 - 4th Apr, 2007 at 10:18pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:

That is the "flaps indexer." It is a mechanically driven pointer to display the index of the flap position. In FS, I use the flaps_percent_key as the animation driver.  The flap lever is in a protected "cage" as shown in the diagram below:

This should help you locate the spoilers:

...and scale the seats appropriately:

5. WING
The Citation Sovereign utilizes an advanced, moderately
swept wing selected for its low aerodynamic drag and
favorable approach and landing characteristics.
A three-spar design gives the wing both structural
integrity and high internal volume for its integral fuel
tanks. It is designed to be damage tolerant and incorporates
bonding and riveting techniques with doublers to
provide increased skin thickness in highly loaded areas.
A shallow drop in the center wing section permits attachment
of the fuselage without interruption of the cabin
cross-section. Composite fairings blend the wing and
fuselage for minimum drag.

Electrically driven aluminum fowler flaps, arranged in
three sections on each wing, and hydraulically driven
spoilers, five sections per wing, are utilized for lift, drag,
and roll control. Conventional ailerons are installed near
the wing tips. The wing leading edges are anti-iced using
engine bleed air. The wing tips include navigation and
anti-collision strobe lights and static wicks.

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #66 - 4th Apr, 2007 at 10:32pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Most Kind of you thanks , this may take some doing  Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #67 - 4th Apr, 2007 at 10:34pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
Most Kind of you thanks , this may take some doing  Shocked

Keep checking.. I've added more pics to the post... Wink

BTW, reading the notes, there are five spoiler sections on each wing...

BTW Part #2... I just realized that I had the specs booklet here in my archives... I wish I'd found it sooner!  Embarrassed

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #68 - 4th Apr, 2007 at 10:44pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #69 - 4th Apr, 2007 at 10:55pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Smiley Thanks again for these , after looking over the 3View i get the impression that some of the spoiler segments
get rigged as spoilerons .

IP Logged

Reply #70 - 5th Apr, 2007 at 11:54am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
Smiley Thanks again for these , after looking over the 3View i get the impression that some of the spoiler segments
get rigged as spoilerons .

Well, the "text" description certainly points that way:

"hydraulically driven spoilers, five sections per wing, are utilized for lift, drag, and roll control."

drag = speed brake
lift = spoilers
roll = spoilerons

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #71 - 5th Apr, 2007 at 2:57pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Remember that you can use doubled up nodes for dual controls of the spoilers.  If you work them right, you can 'also' do them as to appear when they are needed, and other wise hide invisible with only your graphics being a hint that they are there.  This way, you can just model some basic polygons and retain the smoothness of your wing.  

Use of spoilerwell causes the parts to be invisible until they are used, appearing to be very flush until they animate outward, (if you do the graphics right).

Just an idea.

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #72 - 5th Apr, 2007 at 6:06pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks "Lionheart" ( great handle that ) i had forgotten about the link to spoilerwell trick , i am getting to dependant
on XML's to do what could be taken care of by less  programatic methods .
I was thinking along the same lines as you suggested using graphics to outline the position pending deployment as
there are sure to be artifacts should i chop out sections from the wings ... dont know about you but i find yhat you get away with one big boolean chop job on a part but never two , so i was going to fake it ... but that is for tomorrow.
Today was spent making new chairs and redoing the cabin layout a little closer to spec , there were wallls to move
the entire crapper came foreward , tables to rescale , lights to move , nearly the whole cabin in fact was shuffled with the following results

IP Logged

Reply #73 - 5th Apr, 2007 at 7:01pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
Thanks "Lionheart" ( great handle that ) i had forgotten about the link to spoilerwell trick , i am getting to dependant
on XML's to do what could be taken care of by less  programatic methods .

Today was spent making new chairs and redoing the cabin layout a little closer to spec , there were wallls to move the entire crapper came foreward , tables to rescale , lights to move , nearly the whole cabin in fact was shuffled with the following results

Actually Chuck, using XML is a "good habit" to get into, since all animations, visibility, etc. are XML driven moving forward.

As for the "spoilers," I think I'd draw a rectangular spline object, and use Shape Merge to make the "cut the Edges" into the top of the wing's mesh.

Then, I'd detach it to Element, make a few clones and proceed to perform an inwards Extrude to form the spoiler well.  The polys of the spoilerwell could then be Detached, re-mapped/textured, and Linked to a control node to hide/unhide it.

I could then take one of the copies and Extrude downwards to provide the spoileron's 'thickness.'

But, I'm sure I'm trying to teach Grandma how to suck eggs, so I'll quit before I get said eggs on my face!  Grin

The rebuilt cabin looks much, much better!

When I first saw the 'previous version,' I was reminded of a segment from a recent movie where they showed canned video of a Lear 25 in flight, but had a GV's interior for the "inside shots!!!!!"  Yeah, right!

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #74 - 5th Apr, 2007 at 7:27pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The textures on the chairs bug me somewhat as i look at them but the cut and paste of "real " chairs is likely on the
menu at some point soon , almost did it today but decided not to get bogged down yet with nitpicking and just Fix
what was on the to do list .
Started the day with the XML's i overwrote by accident when i updated my desktop folder with my copy from Gmax
like a twitt , fortunatly as time goes by you realize they are all patterned on the same code and only the names change.
As to the spoilers that is getting to be childsplay with about an hours work needed to come up with the whole
sheebang given enough coffee and donuts .
Time stands as the element on my side as by and large until i see the front lawn i cant do much with my trees
and another foot of snow fell overnight , four more inches today and the forcast calling for flurries the rest of the week
up in the white mountains where i have the good/bad fortune to be " Holed Up "

PS Gentlemen all the advice given is welcome and encouraged as its sure i am not the only one reading this thread
and furthermore if i knew everything there was to know about this stuff it wouldnt be fun anymore , its the challenge
of learning that is the buzz and there is plenty to learn yet  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #75 - 5th Apr, 2007 at 9:24pm

Brian_Gladden   Offline
Polygon Twister
!
Berlin VT

Quote:
Time stands as the element on my side as by and large until i see the front lawn i cant do much with my trees
and another foot of snow fell overnight , four more inches today and the forcast calling for flurries the rest of the week
up in the white mountains where i have the good/bad fortune to be " Holed Up " 

Jeeeze, Chuck.... We're practicaly neighbors. I'm across the river (Connecticut river that is) in the Green Mountains (well they're kinda white at the moment  Grin ) of Vermont. I got 8 inches of the white stuff yesterday and another 2 today. I live at a fairly low altitude so I didn't get the amount of snow you did.

Brian

IP Logged

Reply #76 - 6th Apr, 2007 at 12:04pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Goodness....   Send me some of that cool weather!!!

Here we have the air conditioner running in sunny Phoenix.  Was hoping to get some rain from that storm that came up from the Baja penninsula.

wow..    real snow.......!

Shocked    Huh

IP Logged

Reply #77 - 6th Apr, 2007 at 6:41pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The White Mountains ....... how very apt a name ...... Cry...... poor Robins gotta shovel so they can find dinner.
Turns out the name of this thread is appropriate as well insofar as i have drilled the tenth hole in each wing brining
the pair to 20 + windows + doors + all the interior parts that get trimmed to size with the " raw " fuselage kept
handy for the job + a fair few doing the furnishings + the gear ..... you get the idea , i lost count .
Anyhoo 574 parts later and 52,000 unoptimized polygon's there are a few protuberances to be stuck on the outside
and but 3 knobs to be added to the cockpit proper comprising another day or so of modeling and then i will go through
and remove the unnecessary poly's where i can find them .
That gets us to the point of working on textures and finding out how many verticies i have left to spend on " Her "
and what kind of fun i can get up to encoding her every mood   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #78 - 6th Apr, 2007 at 8:21pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

I gather you're going to "cheat" and simply paint the spoilerons to make 'em look like five sections? Wink

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #79 - 6th Apr, 2007 at 8:27pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Not a bit of that thay have 5 nodes and 5 spoilers each with an under layer that is painted with the screws and such
that hovers over the wing to simulate the inside , and the spoilerons work.

IP Logged

Reply #80 - 6th Apr, 2007 at 10:34pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Had do do something with the chairs

IP Logged

Reply #81 - 6th Apr, 2007 at 10:38pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Oh, I see. From the small size of the first pic they appear as one piece.

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #82 - 7th Apr, 2007 at 9:34am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Night textures update

IP Logged

Reply #83 - 7th Apr, 2007 at 12:22pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

The seat size and textures are much improved, Chuck.  Very nicely done.  Now, when you get some carpeting on the floor, it'll make 'em look even nicer!  Cool

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #84 - 7th Apr, 2007 at 9:38pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Hey Chuck,

On carpet, here is a tip.  I use this on panels as well.  Apply a small swatch of carpet texture to your floor.  Then hide all but it, and in Max, do a screenshot.  Apply the screenshot in your bitmap art and delete all around it so its just 'that' area, then go in and map that onto the floor.  This way, your carpet is 'shaded' inside the Gmax view system (Max in your case) and it is applied/used in this.  Then later, add a layer above it (in Photoshop) and call it carpet shading and put some shading around the chairs where they meat the carpet at.  Really adds a nice touch.

Just some humble advice for your already nice creation.

Man Fr. Bill, this guy has come pretty darn far in just several months....   

Pretty impressive.

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #85 - 7th Apr, 2007 at 11:23pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Hanging with the right croud

Good advice , but i am not sure how to follow it in this case because the carpets are sunken into a floorwell.
I got around to adding the remaining bits on the fuse and flying the VJPL logo on the tail , i had been wondering
what to put there and it was under my nose the whole time ( and on all the files i upload to Avsim )

IP Logged

Reply #86 - 9th Apr, 2007 at 11:14pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Some bits are more important than others , listening to people at WestCoastATC i have found that simmers get their
jollies looking at the wheels and the door with the latter finally getting finished up one month into the project.
The telescoping tubes are a tough one to animate but look cool in operation from inside or out , hope the " users "
are happy with the work being one of the longer sections to extend my parts list and taking with the rest of the stairs
about 4 hours to get looking like the real thing . ( wonder what they look like on one of Fr.Bills birds )

IP Logged

Reply #87 - 10th Apr, 2007 at 11:25am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Nice stairway Chuck!  Those are very difficult to make.

Cheers,

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #88 - 10th Apr, 2007 at 11:41am

NWarty   Offline
Spline Extruder
"Pushing Polys in Iraq"
Oly, WA

That interior keeps blowing me away. Awesome work Chuck!  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #89 - 10th Apr, 2007 at 2:46pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I thank you for the encouragement gents , it helps a great deal as have the dimentional drawings from the Good Friar.
The cockpit looks even better but you will note i never post picks of it for some reason .... suprise perhaps ?

IP Logged

Reply #90 - 10th Apr, 2007 at 5:16pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Quote:
I thank you for the encouragement gents , it helps a great deal as have the dimentional drawings from the Good Friar.
The cockpit looks even better but you will note i never post picks of it for some reason .... suprise perhaps ?

Hmmmm - you've found a place for the beer cooler?

IP Logged

Reply #91 - 10th Apr, 2007 at 7:37pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
wonder what they look like on one of Fr.Bills birds )

Wow! Nice stairs, Chuck!  A bit o'nice texture and they'll be fabulous... Wink

Here's the stairs on the XLS in FSX:

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #92 - 10th Apr, 2007 at 8:39pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Felix that would not be needed the cabin's bar is fully stocked and for what its worth i only drink a single malt
by the name of "the Macallan" that i pick up in New York because they don't have the overproof classic matured in sherry casks in Quebec  , they do have the oak aged version but its not every thing i look for in a wee dramm....
anyway it provides a great reason to drive through New Hampshire once in a while
( off to the cabinet he goes )

Back to the Citation (hic), thanks for the Lil'looksee Fr.Bill i can see a bit of shading is in order as you noted Wink

Today's task was to add  taxi , logo and landing lights with the rest of them on tap for tomorrow .
The exterior texture work is about the last stage of this operation , i found a corner of the exterior. bmp where
i could fit in the stairs and finishing those will provide a perfect diversion from the gauges .

IP Logged

Reply #93 - 12th Apr, 2007 at 12:00am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The above space represents what one gets when the Lite switch gets pushed , an instant  20,000 poly reduction
with most of the decorative bits going  " POOF" .
Dealt with the problems associated with model complexity and framerates in short order for those low end computers.
The other details like lights and staircase textures also complete i am sure itching to get some people in the picture
so the next part will have boobs  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #94 - 12th Apr, 2007 at 9:33am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The virgin mesh wears a Mona Lisa smile  Kiss

IP Logged

Reply #95 - 12th Apr, 2007 at 1:38pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The same girl with a bit of makeup , 1100 poly's of polly

IP Logged

Reply #96 - 12th Apr, 2007 at 4:31pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

That's really good for only 1100 polys. A wise modelling indeed!

IP Logged

Reply #97 - 12th Apr, 2007 at 7:32pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Shocked New Digs  Smiley thanks Felix , nice of you and unexpected.

IP Logged

Reply #98 - 12th Apr, 2007 at 7:56pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Time for a night flight to pleasure myself , pushed enough polly for the moment  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #99 - 12th Apr, 2007 at 11:29pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Very nice work on your lady Chuck!

I know how difficult they can be getting those to have low poly counts.  You really have to flip them around while reducing the poly structure complexities, as they can have bad shadows from certain angles.  My German pilot got some odd wrinkles in his pants 'after' the Optimization.  (Didnt notice 'during' the process).

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #100 - 13th Apr, 2007 at 6:03am

JerryG   Offline
Polygon Twister
Seattle, Washington

I was wondering how long we were going to have to make this thread before you got your own forum  Grin Nice work Chuck Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #101 - 14th Apr, 2007 at 5:29pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A gent can break a real sweat pushing polly's but in the end its a mans work after all .... Roll Eyes
Now that she is fully dressed i can think of a few more animating ideas for the dear girl.
I managed to get the entire load on one 512 X 512 bitmap and the final count was a passable 3500 polly's , not bad for a figure of that complexity.

IP Logged

Reply #102 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 11:56am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

One down and the copilot to go i decided that a reading a book would be fitting to a middle aged VIP .
The animations have her turning the page once the book is lowered with her eyes scanning the text  and a brief
glance up at the pilot after turning her head towards the cabin .

6 Tick18's did the job and brought the .MDL to over 5 meg's

IP Logged

Reply #103 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 1:41pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Does she also start to laugh uncontrolled after the third glass of wine?  Grin

I't amazing what you're doing, Chuck!

IP Logged

Reply #104 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 2:06pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

No bling?

Sacre bleu! Est-ce que elle n'avait pas des bijoux?
« Last Edit: 16th Apr, 2007 at 5:11pm by Felix/FFDS »  

IP Logged

Reply #105 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 2:43pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Felix , i always wondered what that word meant could you enlighten me please ... its not used in Quebec

IP Logged

Reply #106 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 3:42pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
Felix , i always wondered what that word meant could you enlighten me please ... its not used in Quebec  

Hip-Hop cultural slang for "flashy jewlery" and also to a lifestyle built around excess spending and ostentation.  Cool

The word "bling" was coined by the rap family Cash Money Millionaires in the late 1990s

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #107 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 7:07pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Ah... i see that i have been on this mountain for two long and that  .wikipedia.org is something i should bookmark.
That said a necklace would not be out of place although a set of rails is outta the question . Thanks Fr.Bill good to know that amoung your other traits i can include being " hip " ... or is the term so outdated people think its a body part . CJ

IP Logged

Reply #108 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 8:25pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

A nice pearl necklace, perhaps a charm bracelet, and a ring would be appropriate.

Please though, no piercings, no nose ring, no nose "diamond stud" and for heaven's sake no lip piercing!  Shocked

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #109 - 17th Apr, 2007 at 9:37pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A pearl of wisdom bears fruit ,  threw in a ring and some buttons for good measure

IP Logged

Reply #110 - 17th Apr, 2007 at 9:54pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Very elegant! Wink

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #111 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 10:21am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Chuck, I liked the wine glass... (hicks!) where did it go? (hicks!)... One more boddle, blease!... (hicks!)

The necklace is a good addition, but so it was the wine Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #112 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 11:18am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Fear not Paco the wine is there when the table is fully extended , and roll out day is getting near ... just a few more gauges to go .

The first coat of paint has gone on the primer layer , i had looked at hundreds of lines , stripes , decals and went
with the Citation paint sceme that i would have on my own " Livery " and why not after all these are the colors
of the Flight Lab that have graced a number of repaints done over the years under the name of " Hellfire " like the office says 67C Hellfire Air  , clean , simple ,  devilishly chick ... should look real fine with the red engine covers

IP Logged

Reply #113 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 12:03pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

The lady deserved a special wine... here's a decal if you need one:

But I'm sorry I can't personally recommend it, this is a cheap 1989 Vega Sicilia ($333). If milady wishes something more exclusive, I can try to seek for a 1960 bottle (at the modest price of $2000)

(By the way, this is the wine which Winston Churcill used to choose, not that year of course).

IP Logged

Reply #114 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 12:13pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

To honor your input over the many projects people have gained from i shall add a bottle to the table .

IP Logged

Reply #115 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 1:50pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #116 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 4:39pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

What a honour! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #117 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 7:00pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Salut ! a votre sante Paco  Kiss

IP Logged

Reply #118 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 11:43pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

More panel work to finish the day and off for a test flight into Katmandu , the weather turned foul and the landing
was a little rough due to the crosswinds but i heard no screaming from the back .. i think she was corked
having finished the bottle over the hour long flight .

IP Logged

Reply #119 - 19th Apr, 2007 at 11:11pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

May i present the copilot , he has moved up having gained his rating after many hours spent training.
His first flight in one of my productions was in the NeXT and he has been " reanimated " in order to operate a yolk
instead of a stick , doing this is something that takes time ,  practice and a few tricks of the trade .
The main thing to know is that one need not do all the keyframes on any given part at one time but in stages ,
i like do do the series of the 4 fore and aft rotations in secession and in stages going from 0 to 50 then the left and
right rotators up to 50 and repeat the series from 51 through 100 with the same 8 control nodes that are in the arms.
The other trick i use is to link the hands to the yolk through another rotation node that is also linked to a condition node linked to the main battery so he is not there when all the power is off , he is also linked to the Light Mode switch for running this aircraft with a minimum of parts for frame rate savings in heavy scenery .
Fairly complex this element of the aircraft took about 6 hours of work excluding the " dude "  

IP Logged

Reply #120 - 20th Apr, 2007 at 12:57am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Looking really sharp Chuck..  If you keep going, refining and touching up, adding bits..  You just may get the monthly Designers award at Flightsim.com....

Really looks great!

So..  Where is the cooler in the XLS model and can it accomodate proper LaBatts Beer bottles, eh?

Cool

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #121 - 20th Apr, 2007 at 6:18am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Those figures and details give the model that touch that makes a master piece be it...  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #122 - 20th Apr, 2007 at 11:48am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

On the subject of 747s... why not the ABL (Airborne Laser) anti-missile plane?

IP Logged

Reply #123 - 20th Apr, 2007 at 1:40pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Quote:
... there were a number of unexplored ideas that i would like to further develop.  Cool

Me too. Smiley

Though that laser cannon idea is a cool one Felix. I think that needs to be made for the next installment of "Close Encounter". Grin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #124 - 21st Apr, 2007 at 11:16pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Last parts are added to the exterior are the engine covers and a few things that are there in light mode after installing
a photo of the inside visible through the windows  , modeling is finished and textures are nearing completion ... another
project nears the alpha tests with a date near the end of the month for release  Smiley

« Last Edit: 22nd Apr, 2007 at 5:59am by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #125 - 22nd Apr, 2007 at 5:55pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The best part of this work is doing the final testing , this morning was passed installing a render of the panel
from the interior model ( 3DS does that well ) getting the gauge set in place and off to a bit of flight time on the server

IP Logged

Reply #126 - 22nd Apr, 2007 at 8:48pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Chuck,

Those intake covers are awesome!  You must have found a great photo of one.  Nice work!

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #127 - 23rd Apr, 2007 at 4:04pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Textures on final , the alpha layer reapplied , fasteners, lines , decals and night textures complete .

IP Logged

Reply #128 - 23rd Apr, 2007 at 4:15pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

There's lint on that first passenger seat!!!

IP Logged

Reply #129 - 23rd Apr, 2007 at 7:08pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Spec sheet said the plane comes with a cleaning kit , and 6 umbrellas.......gotta love it when the company takes care of the little details

IP Logged

Reply #130 - 23rd Apr, 2007 at 8:03pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

We are having WAAAY too much fun!

IP Logged

Reply #131 - 24th Apr, 2007 at 8:19pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Final Burn !!! , did a bit of mapping rework on the nosecone ( a bit fuzzy ) and added some wardrobe to the closet
Flight time and cfg tweaking are all that stands left to complete this model .. one and a half months work , twice as long as most i have done and i am already looking into the next one a  " Spooky "

IP Logged

Reply #132 - 25th Apr, 2007 at 4:49am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Beautiful looking bird Chuck!  

That is alot of work and you got here swiftly.  Thats why I wonder where you will be in 2 or 3 years.  If you came this far this quick, imagine 3 years from now....

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #133 - 25th Apr, 2007 at 6:59am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Well, he got sidetracked for a couple of minutes cleaning up the lint from the seats.....  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #134 - 28th Apr, 2007 at 4:32pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

You are really moving along quickly. Amzing progress. Looking good. Smiley

Cheers
Shad

IP Logged

Reply #135 - 7th May, 2007 at 10:45pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The private tests went well with a few selected friends and a public beta session is posted for Thursday 1900 hrs est
At Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register with details about teamspeak and joining multiplayer available on the website listed under
" how to connect " all are welcome and there are two versions one for FS9 and FSX with the servers hosting both.

IP Logged

Reply #136 - 10th May, 2007 at 8:26pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A good time was had by all with no fatalities , should be up on Avsim by the weekend

IP Logged

Reply #137 - 11th May, 2007 at 11:50am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Chuck,

Are you launching your lady this weekend?

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #138 - 11th May, 2007 at 3:00pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Both versions available at Avsim ,  enter Chuck Jodry in the Library search engine for the complete selection
of VJPL productions .

IP Logged

Reply #139 - 11th May, 2007 at 5:19pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Congrats Chuck!

Thats awesome.  I'll download it and take a nice flight out to California later tonight.  Been looking forward to flying it.

I saw that over at SOH.  Dont let the rough comments get to you.  Laugh it off.  I do.  I have had rough comments from many people and if it gets bad enough, I get out 'Call of Duty' and load up my machine gun and play for 2 hours strait till I am exhausted and feel bad that I killed everyone, lololol.....

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #140 - 11th May, 2007 at 5:32pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

My solution , at this moment has the strains being relieved by a band called "Slipknot" running at 123.6 decibles
through 35g's of sound system , its rare i light up the 18" subs hardly needed with 15" mains but i felt in need of a bit of low end ... think i will play a bit of Cradle of Filth next .... Danny Filth has such a way with words . sonic catharsis ...

IP Logged

Reply #141 - 11th May, 2007 at 6:50pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

The FSX version installed just fine, although I did add two new entries to the aircraft.cfg section to make it 100% compliant with the new selection menus:

ui_typerole="Twin Engine Jet"
ui_createdby="JPL Labs"

Aside from two missing lightmap files from the texture folder:

EYE_L.BMP
CITBAR_L.BMP

and one file apparently no longer used, but still being called for by the .mdl file:

$CIT_5.BMP

everything else seems just fine... Cool

I can see the above because of some new "diagnostic flags" we can put in our fsx.cfg file that will report "missing stuff..." Smiley

I also know that no matter how carefully we check stuff, something's always left out by oversight.  Take for example the CJ1 release recently where "we" forgot to include the bitmap used by the strobe lights .fx file...

...with the result in FSX that some early purchasers had "flashing white squares" in the sim...  Embarrassed Embarrassed

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #142 - 11th May, 2007 at 7:17pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Ta, I need to study up on this diagnostic kit sounds handy,
As evening comes the playlist has moved on to Avro Part and his Te Deum , the Magnificat being superb
and i am torn between Pergolesi and his Sabat Mater or the Mass in C by Mozart ... both would be to much
but ZaZa Gabor once said a little excess is Divine .. we will see
« Last Edit: 11th May, 2007 at 9:28pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #143 - 11th May, 2007 at 9:06pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Of all the Magnificats ever composed, my very favorite is Pergolesi's...

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #144 - 11th May, 2007 at 9:45pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Lo frate 'nnammorato

IP Logged

Reply #145 - 13th May, 2007 at 11:17pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Teach me not to check the 'specialist' forums regularly.  I missed the release of this puppy.

I just took the time to go back through this entire thread.  Absolutely awe inspiring the amount of work that has gone in to this beasty.  I know you have put a lot of groundwork into learning a myriad of tools and techniques in the last year on top of that too, because you have inspired me to do the same.

This thread is a real testament to the modellers art.  Well done Chuck!!!

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #146 - 14th May, 2007 at 7:00am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks John , learning is the most rewarding aspect but i have a ways to go and like us all each model brings
new challenges to overcome and rewards when complete
I have always had a shortcoming with patience , one of the seven deadly virtues and its not listed in the sdk
or help menu but must be mastered none the less , modeling is as good a platform as one could ask to task ones patience .. leading its hoped to an incremental improvement in the single most important element a modeler must learn  C.J

IP Logged

Reply #147 - 14th May, 2007 at 4:12pm

NWarty   Offline
Spline Extruder
"Pushing Polys in Iraq"
Oly, WA

Hey Chuck,
Wow, how did I miss her release???  Tongue Will download tonight. Thanks very much for putting this together, she looks absolutely stunning and a big congrats to you sir.

Blake

IP Logged

Reply #148 - 14th May, 2007 at 5:56pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thank you Blake , enjoy your flight you will find a fair few buzzing about on different servers and i sent out the
paint kit today to allow some VA's to add some liveries , a number of panel artists have been working and there
should be some of those showing up at Avsim . CJ

IP Logged

Reply #149 - 1st Jun, 2010 at 3:40am

awolcott   Offline
Point Pusher
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Quote:
So without further hyperbole the following
[img]

Actually the one of the right is a throttle friction adjustment.. I still gotta go back and read the rest of the posts to ensure that no one else has corrected this. It is not a flap indexer. The flap index is part of the avionics.

IP Logged

Reply #150 - 1st Jun, 2010 at 10:17am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Its been three years and one hell of a lot of air under the wings of this early freeware release , i am not quite sure how many have been downloaded anymore,
somewhere over 45,000  , in any case my thanks for the bit of info and for bringing back some memories.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print