Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Missions in last months Computer Pilot magazine (Read 2301 times)
17th Mar, 2007 at 7:29pm

lionheart   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Phoenix Arizona

Hey guys, and Andy,

There was a good article on Missions in FSX in last months issue of Computer Pilot magazine, (has Mario's plane on the cover).

Shows how you can fly through these huge rectangles that are 3D modelled and you are in a Robertson helo.  Another mission they talk about is the one where you fly out to an oil rig to rescue people before it explodes.

Thought you might like to know.  I believe you can download the issues in PDS format for a small charge at SimFlight.com

Fortunately my bookstore by the house sells both PC Pilot and Computer Pilot magazines...  (Great mags if you've never seen them).  There are a couple more that supposedly are quite good, one out of Germany, and another that is French.

Bill

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 18th Mar, 2007 at 12:08am

andyjohnston.net   Offline
Good Grief

Well...both of those sound like default missions to me.

One of the helicopter training missions is to fly through a series of gates in order and then land, one is to fly to an oil rig and rescue the people.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12th Apr, 2007 at 12:41am

MountainHighAir   Offline
Polygon Twister
What goes up doesn't have
to come down till later.
Lafayette, Colorado (Denver)

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill. I'll have to buy those mags. I haven't even tried any of the missions in FSX yet! I'm slacking. I've kinda done my own just via a regular flight and using my imagination. One was to take the Maule up to Denali Peak and land on a glacier to rescue some climbers, and then there was that 747 I had to intercept because of suspected terrorism. Both situations turned out okay, thank God! The ice in FSX sure is slippery!

Which reminds me - I need to get down to Antarctica sometime soon...

JOHN

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 15th Apr, 2007 at 9:43am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Hey John..

Were you flying with us at Netwings??  If so, what is your call sign?

(In case you arent, we flew to Denali today in Netwings as its Alaska bush weekend.  Several of us landed up on top).

Bill

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 1:10pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Heheh, the Denali idea is a mission in FSX as is the spy chase Wink.

The missions are quite good. Some are spectacular. The Denali one was more boring than exiting though as it was more an excercise in canyon climbing than trecherous landing.

The Idaho rescue however adds an element of severe icing at 7000 feet but a few mountain ridge passes are at 7500... I found the only way over was to fly directly toward the canyon wall gaining as much speed as I could, "popup" up over the ridge at tree top level in a steep climb, then fall over the other side until I get out of the ice cloud and the plane begins to fly again. I made sure I was not flying into a plateau behind the ridge first (I needed a drop to about 6750 to recover).

That was very challenging flying.

FSX missions would seem to be the best kept secret in FS. They really are a fantastic new addition. The voice acting is superb for the most part and makes the sim a bit less "empty" feeling (my main complaint with FS9 was the lack of "life on the ground").

Reading through FSX's docs it seems they have labeled it "living world" so its gratifying to see this was a conscious decision and not just happenstance (though I suspect thats the birds and elephants thy are more talking about, but I also think its the Missions, cars and boats).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 16th Apr, 2007 at 1:34pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

I had suggested to Aces about making a 'person' model that you could walk around airports and scenery.  They thought it was a little silly.  Think about it though.  If you could go into 'person' mode and were up there on Denali in Multiplayer mode, wouldnt it be both cool to see the person on the mountain waving (wingfold command?) and from on the mountain camp, see your friend in multi-player trying to fly up?

Man....

(I know, I have told you guys about this idea too many times....  Sorry to keep reminding you).

The guys at a well known European group/team are now working on high realism 3 dimensional characters for their scenery.  Difficult to do as you know as they can tend to be high in polygons unless you are 'realllllllly' good at making them low poly and map them well enough, which they seem to be doing good at.  

That should bring about some 'life' on the living planet.  

Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 17th Mar, 2008 at 5:10am

robby88   Offline
Polygon Twister
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

With my WW1 biplanes I'd love the ability to have ground crew figures interact with the aircraft - e.g. in rotary engines the mechanic turns the engine to prime it then swings the prop to start. We'd need to have variables that we can share between aircraft and ground crew, but I don't think that's possible at the moment. Yep after all this time I'm starting to get into missions too. It's fun and challenging.

Cheers&&&&Rob&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print