Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
" Dambuster " (Read 24335 times)
8th May, 2007 at 8:23am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

There is a little contest going on held by Screen Shot Art that on the theme
The Dambusters with a September deadline that looks like something of a
worthy project and this is the start of the research for background images.
Real cool site for drawings , Russain Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 9th May, 2007 at 10:12am by Chuck Jodry »  

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 8th May, 2007 at 11:36am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

I saw your post on this at SOH.  Looks like its going to be fun!

Would be cool to go into Netwings at the same time as 10 others and screen shot waves at a time passing over the dam, lolol....

I'll bet Henry brings his Mossy though, knowing him!   lol...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 8th May, 2007 at 12:07pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

There were on 14 AC in the raid, in two formations ( of 9 and of 5) going to two separate locations, flown at night, at tree top level, and the dams were attacked by one aircraft at a time.

The challenge is not making an Lancaster...the challenge will be making a bomb that will skip like a rock across the water; finding a way to film at night in the sim that looks semi-decent; and of course lots and lots of flak.

Cheers
Shad

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 8th May, 2007 at 12:10pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Bill you are a bloody genius , i had been wondering how best to do that takeoff , formation , and run up the Ruhr.
The beta test session i generally hold gets filmed this time round , they did this at night so a squadron taking off
in the sunset is about all i need . thanks for the idea ... noted you went for the glider towplane concept so i guess
we are even , Wink

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 8th May, 2007 at 12:13pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Shad getting the bomb to drop and skip is easy , getting it to splash in contact with the water is going to take some thought

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 8th May, 2007 at 1:12pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Getting the splash might be best handled outside of FS. You've got Max and all of it's particle systems to work with.

I watched parts of the movie awhile back and the thing that shocked me the most was the take-off of the bombers. If you had told me that they took off 3 abreast out of a grass field I would have said "not-likely."
But there it is on film.

I've often thought it might be more practicle to look for a different point of view than the traditional one shown in the movie. After all, you only have ten minutes to tell your story. This morning I was toying with the idea of doing a film of a German farmer who lives downstream of the dams. He sees the planes fly over and doesn't think much of it. He thinks, I'm a farmer, what do I have to do with this war? Then the flood waters come... Too bad I don't have any software to simulate flowing water.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 8th May, 2007 at 1:34pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Reading up on this i found it ironic that they managed to kill more pow's than germans during the raid .
As to the story Board  its all mapped out in my head in a manner to detail the story as a " Vignette"
and to make the fullest use possible of 3DS8 and the capability to overlay multiple images at the same time as modeled animations and dialog in one pass during renders .
This program is the cats nethers with more unused potential in its render engine than most are aware of.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 8th May, 2007 at 7:57pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Here's a screenshot of the beta version of a Lancaster that a friend of mine made for FS9

He even got the spotlights in the right position. Seems a lot of artists have gotten that wrong when making paintings of the raid. Back when the contest was first being rumored several months ago I found a website that had a big long list of details that were incorrect in the movie. I'll have to dig the link back up and share it with y'all. One thing is for certain, the planes and the event have a ton of information available on the internet. Instead of hunting for info, the challenge will be sifting through it all.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 8th May, 2007 at 8:20pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks john  came across that site today along with a tonne of others like the one i posted above
where there were the entire series available, like you said its nice to have a project where information is plentiful.
I spent the entire day poking through about 20 or so sites and came across ten that are going to be of some use
for a great number of other aircraft and they are bookmarked in my info folder for the future , as to the Avro
the bases are covered in complete sectionals and parts lists down to the last lightbulb.
The dam's are the next item but i will do a bit of modeling first ... after all the Lancaster is the star of the show.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 8th May, 2007 at 11:48pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Would you care for a copy of the FN50 turret? The same modeler gave me copies when he heard I was working on a model of the Warwick. The Warwick had the same turrets as the Lancaster. They're in old Max file format.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 9th May, 2007 at 5:57am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Nice work , but that looks like the dorsal turret and this version of the Lancaster has had them removed to save weight

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 9th May, 2007 at 7:41am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

oops . you're right.

How about a nice front turret,

Used some parts from the Lancaster model that used to ship with Max 2.5, (gun barrels)  all the framework I did.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 9th May, 2007 at 8:24am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A Kind offer , but that is going to be a high detail location as it will be using my animated fire effects and with a bit of
luck i would like to get the rounds to feed through the 303's
Its bound to make a good location to shoot from done right

I could use a set of flaps Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 9th May, 2007 at 10:10am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Came across a wonderful site for interior photographs should any have an interest  and this thread become
something of a waypoint in the developement of elements for this contest

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 9th May, 2007 at 11:36am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

If I had 'em, I'd share 'em - but no flaps in the library sorry. I do have a big collection of turret photos that might help as reference material. I'll dig them up.

These pictures are from my Dad's scrapbook. It's the rear turret on a Warwick.

« Last Edit: 9th May, 2007 at 11:34pm by J_MacKay »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print