Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
" Dambuster " (Read 24262 times)
Reply #15 - 9th May, 2007 at 1:12pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

Thanks John an interior shot looking out from the foreword turret posted here or emailed to chuck@westcoastatc.com
would be great and i will put it on the page , ta C.J

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 10th May, 2007 at 12:17am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

No shots looking out just yet. Next best thing. photos of turret with glass removed to better see details.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Tomorrow I'll bundle up my reference photos and send you a winzip courier link.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 10th May, 2007 at 12:31am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Here's a shot looking out from inside the front turret on my friends model. It was a such a cramped space I wonder if you'll find any photos of the real one.

I have a video, "One of Our Planes is Missing" While it's a Wellington, the turrets are the same and there are scenes in the movie showing the crew get in and out of both the front and back turrets.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 10th May, 2007 at 7:14am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Nice restoration work there , like you said the details are evident without the perspex .
The final version of the Sovi with all the docs ,readme and publicity bla bla has been uploaded
to an FTP server in anticipation of tonights public beta and in general the private testing
has taken care of any bugs and or omissions so thats a done deal ,  i plan to spend the day getting the
Lancaster set up in 3DS using a set of plans that were 10,000 pixels wide and so highly detailed the
screw locations are included , a rare treat to work with every part listed and named and i even found
enough photo's of the interior that with luck the inside can be " photo real " .... let the games begin.

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 10th May, 2007 at 12:19pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

And so these always begin thus with a set of drawings dead center with the root cord planted at 0,0,0
in this case i added the super high rez drawing as a "floater" while the three others are linked to the boss box located
also at 0,0,0.
The first plane is laid out with to the exact dimensions of the aircraft  and the image then fitted into the space
and the front and side views are cloned from the first and chopped without further scaling then in uvw and using the gizmo the map is positioned to fit the first plane .
The scale of the drawing and the resulting model are the right size from the get go , the work was made even more
pleasing with the sound system surrounding me first with the music i plan to use in the video , from Gustav Holst
" Mars the bringer of war " at 7 minutes the length and cadence are perfect  , then for my own benefit a bit of Slipknot to perk things up with their Subliminal verses  Vol 3 and to finish a superb morning David Ushers " Unholy and Beautiful " , some how fitting for a weapon of war ..  all this with the leaves unfurling across the countryside.. charming ..  

That large map is so detailed parts of it will form the first layer in Photoshop , i think i just might do this one with
an oversized .bmp file in FS... largest i ever saw was 3000 pixels wide and you use Image tool so they dont get resized.

« Last Edit: 10th May, 2007 at 3:09pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 15th May, 2007 at 3:11pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

With the tender embrace of one of my favorite bands Nine Inch Nails for company the fruits of three days modeling
culminates with the Fuselage both inside and out now fitting to perfection the 10,000x6000 tif i am using as a template.
Turns out that the drawing is also ideal for the paint jobs with the.bmp made from them here seen mapped to the fuse and matched to the design drawing , the bitmap is twice as large as the normal 1024's used in flightsim and using image tool they can used in these sizes within the sim .
The extra size and in a 32bit format should allow for resolutions sufficient for rivet counters to discern the total number
and check if it matches the tally sheet .
Now on to the canopy ... one of the best tracks is coming " Lizard Skin " wouldn't want to miss it

"The three most useless things to a pilot are the altitude above you, the runway behind you, and a tenth of a second ago."

« Last Edit: 15th May, 2007 at 7:49pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 19th May, 2007 at 5:07pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

We are a long way from roll out but i can at least see the road , been at this canopy for 3 days of and on and decided
to export the results to see what needs work and was pleasently suprised to find less than expected .
This is a complex assembly and i still need to add the windows that open beside the pilot and copilot , another day or so and i should have the canopy about done with the lessons learned handy for the gun turrets.
Doing a bit more image searching was rewarded with inside views of the turrets looking out with a detailed view
of the bombadeer station and its sights and a super high rez shot of the engines on a mount that will look great
and save scads of poly's yet look real with any luck at all .

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 20th May, 2007 at 6:26pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

While the wife and kid were out to see Spiderman i finished off the canopy and got started on the inside,
plenty left to go in yet with the pics all showing a cramped space leaving the bulk of these frames getting chopped .

« Last Edit: 21st May, 2007 at 7:26am by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 20th May, 2007 at 9:45pm

N2056   Offline
I see blue spots...
San Diego, CA USA

Nice work- I like the canopy framework!

So at the rate you've been going lately this will be out in a week or two, right?  Grin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&
IP Logged

Reply #24 - 21st May, 2007 at 8:01am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

While the date is arbitrary , September sometime is what i am shooting for .
This model will be released with a scenery pack containing the two dams that were breached ,
to liven up the experience they need to explode and have plenty of flak that gets activated by proximity.
While i have developed and coded cannon fire animations for the AT AT walker that modified should make great flak
getting the dams to blow will be a neet trick, admittedly i have given that element some thought and have a couple
of ideas on how to proceed i really won't know if they work until i model the parts , so i am glad i gave myself
lots of time because there is a video to shoot using this game pack for a competition that has a September due date.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 22nd May, 2007 at 11:44am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Great news on the research front with time spent contacting the caretaker of a Lancaster in Nova Scotia
paying off with a series of photos of the interior , for some reason among the thousand i looked at to date
none contained the section where the wing spar went through the interior .
The images were always taken from that point with the photogs back up against the spar  and shooting foreword
and then crawling to the rear and doing the same looking aft , the drawings show a large series of spars but what they
looked like was a mystery .
For this project i hope that " Real " Lancaster personnel take one look and say yup thats what it was like , i will
have to look over this Airwrench program sooner rather than later to get used to developing the flight model ,
with a bit of luck there will be a pilot that flew this aircraft into the 60's who is a simmer .
Funny but this feels like my first " Real " project , puts the fun back into it again with something to win or loose .

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 22nd May, 2007 at 12:17pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Great work so far and it is fantastic to hear you are enjoying it so much.

Cheers
Shad

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #27 - 22nd May, 2007 at 7:21pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I imagine there's a thousand decisions to be made between now and the time the contest is finalized. If the model is just being made for the movie, I'd keep reminding yourself that YouTube washes out a lot of the detail. No point in spending a lot of time in painting every rivet if every rivet isn't going to be seen. But if you also plan to release the model after the movie, then that will probably change how you model things as well.

The days are flying by and I never heard from my former co-worker who built the Lancaster model. I assume that I'm not going to be hearing from him. So I won't have any source files to offer to the team.

I do have a drawing detail of how the special bomb rack was set-up. Would that help you any, or have you already got plans for that?

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 22nd May, 2007 at 8:11pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Hi John , i do have  3 drawings with " The Bomb " but you cant have enough unless they are the same
The series in named    EnglFrancplanes318.tif   , 317 , 319 .  
If not a duplicate please send them to chuck@estrie3d.com , thanks C.J

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 22nd May, 2007 at 8:53pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Wow.........

That interior shot looking down the back of the inside of the fuselage is just awesome, Chuck!  Incredible work.  love the inner ribs with lightning holes. 

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Nice prints!  That should be one superb bird!

Bill

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print