Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
" Dambuster " (Read 23410 times)
Reply #30 - 22nd May, 2007 at 10:06pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

Thanks bill , using a render of the part made mapping those possible to process onto a 256x256 bitmap with room
for the 2 smaller ribs that will go between them and the wing spars going across .
I figure to make the Lancaster the star of the video and bring viewers through what will eventually be a very cramped
space , so tight that the tail gunner used to take off his boots then they slid down into position and put them back on.
Todays bit was a wing and mapping the .bmp prior to chopping the flaps and aileron , 3D modeling is one situation
where you do fly on one wing as one tends to mirror the other side when done.
The texture template is the 10000x6000 pixel .tif i am using for a design drawing , about the only detail that you can't see on them is the cloth covering the ailerons , i'll just have to wing that stretch . Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #31 - 23rd May, 2007 at 5:44pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

No longer flying on one wing , the model now has ailerons , underwing flaps .... and a bit of " TLC"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #32 - 24th May, 2007 at 9:02pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Self indulgent as ever today all i managed was chasing a bit of tail , butt as you get into your late forties ..thats something.

The mapping is so precise it will be like doing a paint by numbers layout , wish i always had drawings like this to work from

IP Logged

Reply #33 - 25th May, 2007 at 9:57pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Silly me still chasing tail at my age , today to the sweet sweet voice of Kate Bush i made it through 3 disks
doing the verticals and rudder assembly . nice way to spend an evening ... now back to the Bush 

IP Logged

Reply #34 - 26th May, 2007 at 9:33pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
I want axis-driven animations
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

That's getting better and better Chuck! I love the inside frames too. Smiley

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #35 - 27th May, 2007 at 9:58am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

With only a few hundred parts left to go i kinda thought to get through a list of priorities first , so now with control
surfaces in place engines and landing gear seem a good choice and the goodies like gun turrets to follow .
Manifolds need to be modeled and the gear bays cut out , i have some great detail pics of the gear but i need to find
some with the engine service panels open so a bit of research is on the menu this afternoon .

IP Logged

Reply #36 - 29th May, 2007 at 6:50am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Over at the AlphaSim forum they have a thread going about a person's ride in a Lancaster. Apparently the fellow that I used to work with got a chance to fly in a Lancaster while it was visiting in his area. He sent photos to a mutual acquantence who posted them on the AlphaSim forum. I thought you'd be interested in seeing the images. Interesting how the thread turned into a big discussion on GPS after people noticed the GPS in the cockpit. There's a comment in the latest post about the production problems facing the Dam Buster movie crew.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 29th May, 2007 at 8:21am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks John , cant have enough background info on this.
Got around to doing the gear bays by detaching the polys and the model as it stands at a hair over 20,000 polys now.
In this plane i am planning on doing some sort of radio navigation set within the navigator station , i got a fair number
of images of the equipment to work from ... lots of ideas,  limited time and poly's , same old story i guess.
I have been sending out emails galore and would like to take a trip this summer sometime to the nearest Lancaster
to me , its up in Shads neck of the woods but unfortunately it will never leave the ground .. Sundog was one lucky dude

IP Logged

Reply #38 - 29th May, 2007 at 9:07am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Actually Sundog just posted the images. It was Ed Walters who got the ride. Ed told me that he's been contacted by one of the 3d modelers working on the Peter Jackson Dambuster movie project. Seems they want to use his model as a template for their movie model. They couldn't agree on terms so nothing came of it.

I'm pretty close to deciding to use re-touched photos for backgrounds in my interior shots. But I really should get a story outlined first so that I'll have a better idea of what I'll really need.

Do you have any software that can mimic someone whistling?

IP Logged

Reply #39 - 29th May, 2007 at 12:59pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Hmmm a Roger Witicker module , nope never seen one , pucker up you will get through it

IP Logged

Reply #40 - 29th May, 2007 at 6:45pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I was contemplating having my character whistle a few notes from the movie theme and then make some remark how it'd never catch on.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #41 - 1st Jun, 2007 at 4:58pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thats a nice touch John , myself i figure to use a news reel voice over with a bunch of old maps and the range charts
i scrounged up for the intro with " Mars Bringer of War " from Holst's the Planets in the background throughout ...
or so i hope , still early in the game and i still have a fair few parts to add to this aircraft .
Been going through the list and got the main gear done and animated with the tail wheel left to go before i get to
the fun bits , the turrets ! and bouncing boomer ... i dangle these in front of my nose like a carrot in front of a donkey
to get through the less interesting parts , strange to say that about landing gear but they are becoming " Old Hat "
Been using photo real textures for the main gear , and need to get the center hub mapped yet and the inside of the
wheel well as well , one thing at a time , take my time ... out of character but i am trying ... looking at these makes
me want to get to some texture work .

IP Logged

Reply #42 - 1st Jun, 2007 at 11:48pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

From North Yorkshire down to Lincolnshire an airfield every 5 miles was putting 2 dozen or so of these or Halifax's up every other night, further south the Mighty 8th doing the same in daylight, the whole east coast constantly droning.  I'm sure you can still hear them now on a still night.

The boys of Bomber Command never even received a campaign medal despite losing nearly half their number because their duties were considered 'unseemly' politically after the event.  Albert Speer even acknowledged their contribution to the end of the 3rd Reich although the British government since still hasn't.

That's a fine looking tribute you have going on there Chuck.

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #43 - 2nd Jun, 2007 at 12:07am

N2056   Offline
I see blue spots...
San Diego, CA USA

I must agree...
The fun part is watching how quickly you've become so good at this! I wish I could be so prolific and maintain a good final product.

As I recall, one of the keys to making the bomb work properly was that it had to be dropped at a precise hieght, and the way they determined it was by using spotlights on the wingtips angled inwards such that when you were at the right altitude the circles from the left & right spotlights were superimposed on each other. I should think this would be a feature that is included...

Looking Good!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&
IP Logged

Reply #44 - 2nd Jun, 2007 at 8:28am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The research for this project has been a reward unto itself , phonecalls to an ever diminishing number of veterans now
in their 80's has been telling , you can hear in their voice the importance they held their part in ending the war.
Churchill had a way of phrasing that captured the moment well , it was their " Finest Hour " .
It has been argued the " Bomber Harris " crossed the line , but he was not alone and had only one choice ... to win .
Collectively the British deserve recognition for having held the line in the face of an enemy who stopped at nothing
to try and defeat an entire populations will to fight for the idea that freedom is worth any price paid . CJ

P.S those spotlights were fore and aft on the fuselage and have been on my mind for a couple of days now , from
a technical standpioint they need to cross at 60 feet but be visible on the ground at 300 and lower as round circles
yet not be visible in profile ... not quite sure yet how to do this and suspect a little XML Kung Fu will be required .

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print