Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
" Dambuster " (Read 23528 times)
Reply #45 - 2nd Jun, 2007 at 2:53pm

jonbouy   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Rye, England

Quote:
The research for this project has been a reward unto itself , phonecalls to an ever diminishing number of veterans now
in their 80's has been telling , you can hear in their voice the importance they held their part in ending the war.
Churchill had a way of phrasing that captured the moment well , it was their " Finest Hour " .
It has been argued the " Bomber Harris " crossed the line , but he was not alone and had only one choice ... to win .
Collectively the British deserve recognition for having held the line in the face of an enemy who stopped at nothing
to try and defeat an entire populations will to fight for the idea that freedom is worth any price paid . CJ

I'll bet the research has been great, I did a social history project on the impact of the stations on the local communities in East Yorks (4 Group Bomber Command, Halifaxes), it was one of the most enlightening things I've ever done. 
I was at the Yorks Aviation Museum with my daughters around that time and being young and frivolous, and much to my chagrin, they decided to 'burn up' the grass in front of the memorial there.  Having scolded them and hauled them in this smiling old gent came up to me, having witnessed this scene, he said "That's why we went. To see them enjoying their freedom 50 years on is worth more than any honour".
He was a Canadian (as were many of 4 Group) vet from 102 Squadron, we sat, and he went on to recount many of his experiences as the girls played on.
Magic moments.

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #46 - 4th Jun, 2007 at 5:22pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Finally getting to the fun bits ! my first machine guns photo textures .. so tight in the turret i cant shoot a camera

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #47 - 4th Jun, 2007 at 7:08pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

You must not have the perspective turned on for your screenshot. Notice how the vertical stabilizer further away from the camera  is exactly the same size as the VS closer to the camera.

I'm in awe that you even thought of giving the veterans a phone call.  I'm actually surprised that there are any left to call.

Salute.

IP Logged

Reply #48 - 4th Jun, 2007 at 8:15pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Right you are about that being a user view and one cant see much in it so i did it again close up, still have a few parts
to add yet but the main elements are there with all the control nodes .
As to calling vets there was only so much i can get from drawings and i had a few questions about the suspension
i needed to know before animating the main gear .. also they deserve a bit of attention and are happy to talk about
some of their stories , call it background chatter from the past and good for context .

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #49 - 6th Jun, 2007 at 8:55pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A four banger resides in the rear , this is where the model splits into different parts with much of the interior model being  modeled and the exterior will get a photo of the inner parts rendered  on a plane . a couple of support tubes are needed yet but they are no brainers .. next the " Upkeep " or bouncing boom and the last of the fuse chop job
before the texture is mapped one last time .

IP Logged

Reply #50 - 6th Jun, 2007 at 10:43pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

I forgot to mention the Museum I was referring to earlier actually houses the 'Barnes Wallis' collection today.

They are prolly worth an email, I've always found them incredibly helpful as far as digging through their archive goes.

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #51 - 7th Jun, 2007 at 6:02am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks , first time i came across a turret collection

IP Logged

Reply #52 - 7th Jun, 2007 at 12:54pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I haven't quite figured how to work it into my script - but Barnes Wallis has had an impact on everyday life that still lasts to this day. From what I've been told, while doing research on what shape to make the "bouncing bomb", Wallis discovered that by putting dimples on a sphere, it would go straighter when going through the air. Everytime a golfer hits a golf ball he should thank Mr. Wallis for his discovery.

IP Logged

Reply #53 - 7th Jun, 2007 at 2:44pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

While true the dimples only found their way onto a few of the sphere prototypes , the final version was smooth .
Still Barnes Wallis was an inventive fellow , he also must have been convincing to have gotten some of his ideas off
the drafting table and into production , you should look over Johnbouy link Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  .
BW was productive along with being possesed of a good noodler.
With dimples he discovered that turbulence can reduce drag leading to a flatter trajectory, these days this has been applied to underwater machinery with bubbles being released from the nose of torpedoes leading to speeds over 200 mph .

IP Logged

Reply #54 - 7th Jun, 2007 at 4:26pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Forgot to add the days results with some more structure added to the turrets

IP Logged

Reply #55 - 8th Jun, 2007 at 12:08am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Knowing how fast you make things - you're probably past the point where you could use these photos of the back turret, but I thought you might enjoy seeing them any way. I found them on the web a few years ago.

I don't know why I bother toying with ideas for my own video. If you recorded any of your phone calls with the veterans, you've got all the makings of a smashing video that goes beyond being just another flight sim video, it'll be documentary quality stuff.

Bravo Chuck

IP Logged

Reply #56 - 8th Jun, 2007 at 8:02am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Imagine for a moment how the gunner would feel "shoehorned" into a space of that size for 8 hours ... incapable of
moving much more than his frozen fingers .... waiting ...forever waiting for the ME109 to arrive with ill intent, they
know exactly how the fish in the bucket feel as the shadow overhead opens fire ....  the sound of 80 rounds a second
spewing forth from the 4 Brownings ... there is no life like it , or perhaps for half of them no death like it .

The Avatars had better not be claustrophobic
« Last Edit: 8th Jun, 2007 at 9:13am by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #57 - 8th Jun, 2007 at 3:48pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I got tired of looking at the " Nude " mapping and decided to do some preliminary texture work for grins. ... it makes it look more like a Lancester and is sure going to help add the last few exterior parts by making it seem like i am getting somewhere ... like on to the interior model

IP Logged

Reply #58 - 9th Jun, 2007 at 2:39pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Those photos remind me a lot od my Mechano set. Remember those? I had a military one and you often ended up building similar looking carriages for the turrets on what ever model you were building.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #59 - 9th Jun, 2007 at 2:49pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Looking good Chuck!  Love the well shaped engine nacelles and cool undercarriage.  Nice texture mapping on the tires.  Looks like they have real knobbies.

Smiley

Coming along quite well sir!

Bill

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print