Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
" Dambuster " (Read 23525 times)
Reply #60 - 9th Jun, 2007 at 5:57pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

Military Mechano.... nope had lots and still do with the youngin about but he is into wheels more than anything else.
Does screwing pixels count ? ... at least it has guns , massive explosive devices and scenery at some point .
For the moment it will do fine , and there is no limit to what can be produced in 3DS , plus it never leaves bits in the carpet hooverd up

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #61 - 11th Jun, 2007 at 6:46am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
I want axis-driven animations
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

One stupid question Chuck... what's that huge roller in the bomb bay? Shocked

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #62 - 11th Jun, 2007 at 7:17am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Why Paco i am glad you asked , it was a five ton bomb that when dropped at 60' would bounce
across the water and strike the damm then its backspin of 500 revolutions per minute would keep it in contact with
the wall until it sank to a depth of 30 feet and it would blow a ruddy big hole in the wall .
That is when all went well , should the release be late it would skip right over the damm and blow the plane out of the air .. the other thing they were good for was paving airfields and really big pie crusts .

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #63 - 12th Jun, 2007 at 12:39pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

It had been some 200 parts ago that i had exported this model to flight sim and it was prudent to ship it off to make
model for a look at if it went through and what was buggerd up in flight sim ... i got off lucky and had time to do the
contact points and some cfg stuff so as to make the model fly the bulk of the parts are in and the cockpit underway
with a total of 42.000 poly's to date with 272 parts .
At this point after one months work i can start to vary my modeling diet between textures , gauges  and air/cfg mods
along with doing the animations and code for the custom stuff  . its feels good to get out of a stedy diet of Max at last

IP Logged

Reply #64 - 12th Jun, 2007 at 9:56pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The voyage home , after a little flight test

IP Logged

Reply #65 - 13th Jun, 2007 at 3:28am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Nice!

(So... that thing wasn't a King-kong-sized toilet paper dispenser  Roll Eyes)

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #66 - 15th Jun, 2007 at 6:14pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A few days work has passed since my last post due to doing one of those long jobs the panel, i have been doing some
flight testing but it feels strange without a panel and so into the breech i went with emails sent to a lancaster caretaker
in Nova Scotia for some close ups of the panel and a bunch of new parts to paste them on .. nowhere near done
but lest the members think i am copulating with a K9 i decided a screenshot was in order of the progress .

IP Logged

Reply #67 - 15th Jun, 2007 at 7:44pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Awesome!  Smiley
To my taste, it will look even nicer if the interior textures have no specularity at all... FS specular shine, for some strange reason, seems to display nicely on exterior parts but not on interior ones (in my opinion).

IP Logged

Reply #68 - 15th Jun, 2007 at 8:33pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

You may well be right about that , the specularity of the glass faces and that they remove the ability of tool tips
to display over the gauges made me remove them for this export, and by the time i am finished modeling all the parts and pasting labels and such , in all probability just use a render of the whole thing and save a ton of poly's
for other stuff , and get the 2D and exterior model panel display in the bargain ... still early in the game .
+ 3DS does such a wonderful job of shadows with raytracer and other effects that you almost dont need to touch things up in photoshop.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - 17th Jun, 2007 at 10:53am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The results of having modeled more of the panel bits and another screen test
you can still see the layout lines in the base layer , stlill got to add the bump layer and rivits on there
Some crud and paint chips on the panel perhaps with perhaps a littlt shadow ... it looks too new
there are 2 black 2d gauge bitmas to be modeled yet and are sized clones of the pic on plane i used lay out the panel

IP Logged

Reply #70 - 17th Jun, 2007 at 3:50pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Wouldn't the planes used in the raid have been new? They had to be modified to carry the bomb. Wouldn't it have been easier to modify planes coming from the factory than pulling planes from operational squadrons? I know people like to see their cockpits all scratched up, but a lot of these planes didn't last long enough to suffer such wear and tear. I imagine this is more an art director decision than one of historical accuracy.

Just thinking outloud again.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #71 - 17th Jun, 2007 at 6:43pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

You raise a valid point , even if this model was used the MkIII followed the release of the "pure British " versions
now sporting US engines  they they would first have seen service in 43 , same year of the raids in May..... still
a pic of Garbo would add some personality.
The other factor is all the pics i look over are highly used airplanes in fair to poor condition and took a beating in service ... and survived

IP Logged

Reply #72 - 17th Jun, 2007 at 11:47pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

A picture of Garbo would be good. Vera Lynn was a popular singer of the time and would be a good alternative as well. Maybe our UK forumites would have some suggestions.

FYI - I went looking for RAF uniforms for Poser the other day and found a half-way decent RAF WW2 service uniform for enlisted and officers. About $12 for each. ( My officer cap is better - I'll give you a copy if you need it) I didn't find any bomber command gear yet.  Using Poser for figure animations is a key part of my plans for my video, and if I've got to build an outfit from scratch, I might just drop out, as the AT6 is still using up all my spare time.

Three months to go and the clock is ticking louder.

IP Logged

Reply #73 - 18th Jun, 2007 at 6:50am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I still have a copy of that hat ..35000 poly's , and the tailgunner i installed had 350 polygons ..
I think i will end up modeling a bomber jacket and dropping that on one of my dudes for the actor playing Guy Gibson , i still have a saved 3DS scene i did for shad with an animated talking head dressed in a wool RAF jacket
shot in a closeup it will permit me to shoot a background in the model and installed behind the avatar to simulate
any location in minutes .. a quick change of lights and camera angle and hit record  select avi , resolution ... go for a swim .. i should post a pic of the lake , its so private that suits are a rare delay when on hot days i get back from trimming trees throw myself in " degrunge " and trapse up the house ... whats the expression , to much information.

oh the 350 poly tail gunner i have to render the legs , arms and aiming assembly and install it on a blob of mesh

IP Logged

Reply #74 - 18th Jun, 2007 at 10:16pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Todays passel of parts were mostly gauges for the engineers station and the flaps , gear lever some trim wheels
and for my simming comfort the chair , there are 2 sub panels to go ...  yag

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print