Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
" Dambuster " (Read 23409 times)
8th May, 2007 at 8:23am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

There is a little contest going on held by Screen Shot Art that on the theme
The Dambusters with a September deadline that looks like something of a
worthy project and this is the start of the research for background images.
Real cool site for drawings , Russain Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 9th May, 2007 at 10:12am by Chuck Jodry »  

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 8th May, 2007 at 11:36am

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

I saw your post on this at SOH.  Looks like its going to be fun!

Would be cool to go into Netwings at the same time as 10 others and screen shot waves at a time passing over the dam, lolol....

I'll bet Henry brings his Mossy though, knowing him!   lol...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 8th May, 2007 at 12:07pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

There were on 14 AC in the raid, in two formations ( of 9 and of 5) going to two separate locations, flown at night, at tree top level, and the dams were attacked by one aircraft at a time.

The challenge is not making an Lancaster...the challenge will be making a bomb that will skip like a rock across the water; finding a way to film at night in the sim that looks semi-decent; and of course lots and lots of flak.

Cheers
Shad

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 8th May, 2007 at 12:10pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Bill you are a bloody genius , i had been wondering how best to do that takeoff , formation , and run up the Ruhr.
The beta test session i generally hold gets filmed this time round , they did this at night so a squadron taking off
in the sunset is about all i need . thanks for the idea ... noted you went for the glider towplane concept so i guess
we are even , Wink

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 8th May, 2007 at 12:13pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Shad getting the bomb to drop and skip is easy , getting it to splash in contact with the water is going to take some thought

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 8th May, 2007 at 1:12pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Getting the splash might be best handled outside of FS. You've got Max and all of it's particle systems to work with.

I watched parts of the movie awhile back and the thing that shocked me the most was the take-off of the bombers. If you had told me that they took off 3 abreast out of a grass field I would have said "not-likely."
But there it is on film.

I've often thought it might be more practicle to look for a different point of view than the traditional one shown in the movie. After all, you only have ten minutes to tell your story. This morning I was toying with the idea of doing a film of a German farmer who lives downstream of the dams. He sees the planes fly over and doesn't think much of it. He thinks, I'm a farmer, what do I have to do with this war? Then the flood waters come... Too bad I don't have any software to simulate flowing water.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 8th May, 2007 at 1:34pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Reading up on this i found it ironic that they managed to kill more pow's than germans during the raid .
As to the story Board  its all mapped out in my head in a manner to detail the story as a " Vignette"
and to make the fullest use possible of 3DS8 and the capability to overlay multiple images at the same time as modeled animations and dialog in one pass during renders .
This program is the cats nethers with more unused potential in its render engine than most are aware of.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 8th May, 2007 at 7:57pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Here's a screenshot of the beta version of a Lancaster that a friend of mine made for FS9

He even got the spotlights in the right position. Seems a lot of artists have gotten that wrong when making paintings of the raid. Back when the contest was first being rumored several months ago I found a website that had a big long list of details that were incorrect in the movie. I'll have to dig the link back up and share it with y'all. One thing is for certain, the planes and the event have a ton of information available on the internet. Instead of hunting for info, the challenge will be sifting through it all.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 8th May, 2007 at 8:20pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks john  came across that site today along with a tonne of others like the one i posted above
where there were the entire series available, like you said its nice to have a project where information is plentiful.
I spent the entire day poking through about 20 or so sites and came across ten that are going to be of some use
for a great number of other aircraft and they are bookmarked in my info folder for the future , as to the Avro
the bases are covered in complete sectionals and parts lists down to the last lightbulb.
The dam's are the next item but i will do a bit of modeling first ... after all the Lancaster is the star of the show.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 8th May, 2007 at 11:48pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Would you care for a copy of the FN50 turret? The same modeler gave me copies when he heard I was working on a model of the Warwick. The Warwick had the same turrets as the Lancaster. They're in old Max file format.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 9th May, 2007 at 5:57am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Nice work , but that looks like the dorsal turret and this version of the Lancaster has had them removed to save weight

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 9th May, 2007 at 7:41am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

oops . you're right.

How about a nice front turret,

Used some parts from the Lancaster model that used to ship with Max 2.5, (gun barrels)  all the framework I did.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 9th May, 2007 at 8:24am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A Kind offer , but that is going to be a high detail location as it will be using my animated fire effects and with a bit of
luck i would like to get the rounds to feed through the 303's
Its bound to make a good location to shoot from done right

I could use a set of flaps Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 9th May, 2007 at 10:10am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Came across a wonderful site for interior photographs should any have an interest  and this thread become
something of a waypoint in the developement of elements for this contest

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 9th May, 2007 at 11:36am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

If I had 'em, I'd share 'em - but no flaps in the library sorry. I do have a big collection of turret photos that might help as reference material. I'll dig them up.

These pictures are from my Dad's scrapbook. It's the rear turret on a Warwick.

« Last Edit: 9th May, 2007 at 11:34pm by J_MacKay »  
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 9th May, 2007 at 1:12pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks John an interior shot looking out from the foreword turret posted here or emailed to chuck@westcoastatc.com
would be great and i will put it on the page , ta C.J

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 10th May, 2007 at 12:17am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

No shots looking out just yet. Next best thing. photos of turret with glass removed to better see details.

Tomorrow I'll bundle up my reference photos and send you a winzip courier link.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 10th May, 2007 at 12:31am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Here's a shot looking out from inside the front turret on my friends model. It was a such a cramped space I wonder if you'll find any photos of the real one.

I have a video, "One of Our Planes is Missing" While it's a Wellington, the turrets are the same and there are scenes in the movie showing the crew get in and out of both the front and back turrets.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 10th May, 2007 at 7:14am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Nice restoration work there , like you said the details are evident without the perspex .
The final version of the Sovi with all the docs ,readme and publicity bla bla has been uploaded
to an FTP server in anticipation of tonights public beta and in general the private testing
has taken care of any bugs and or omissions so thats a done deal ,  i plan to spend the day getting the
Lancaster set up in 3DS using a set of plans that were 10,000 pixels wide and so highly detailed the
screw locations are included , a rare treat to work with every part listed and named and i even found
enough photo's of the interior that with luck the inside can be " photo real " .... let the games begin.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 10th May, 2007 at 12:19pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

And so these always begin thus with a set of drawings dead center with the root cord planted at 0,0,0
in this case i added the super high rez drawing as a "floater" while the three others are linked to the boss box located
also at 0,0,0.
The first plane is laid out with to the exact dimensions of the aircraft  and the image then fitted into the space
and the front and side views are cloned from the first and chopped without further scaling then in uvw and using the gizmo the map is positioned to fit the first plane .
The scale of the drawing and the resulting model are the right size from the get go , the work was made even more
pleasing with the sound system surrounding me first with the music i plan to use in the video , from Gustav Holst
" Mars the bringer of war " at 7 minutes the length and cadence are perfect  , then for my own benefit a bit of Slipknot to perk things up with their Subliminal verses  Vol 3 and to finish a superb morning David Ushers " Unholy and Beautiful " , some how fitting for a weapon of war ..  all this with the leaves unfurling across the countryside.. charming ..  

That large map is so detailed parts of it will form the first layer in Photoshop , i think i just might do this one with
an oversized .bmp file in FS... largest i ever saw was 3000 pixels wide and you use Image tool so they dont get resized.

« Last Edit: 10th May, 2007 at 3:09pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 15th May, 2007 at 3:11pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

With the tender embrace of one of my favorite bands Nine Inch Nails for company the fruits of three days modeling
culminates with the Fuselage both inside and out now fitting to perfection the 10,000x6000 tif i am using as a template.
Turns out that the drawing is also ideal for the paint jobs with the.bmp made from them here seen mapped to the fuse and matched to the design drawing , the bitmap is twice as large as the normal 1024's used in flightsim and using image tool they can used in these sizes within the sim .
The extra size and in a 32bit format should allow for resolutions sufficient for rivet counters to discern the total number
and check if it matches the tally sheet .
Now on to the canopy ... one of the best tracks is coming " Lizard Skin " wouldn't want to miss it

"The three most useless things to a pilot are the altitude above you, the runway behind you, and a tenth of a second ago."

« Last Edit: 15th May, 2007 at 7:49pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 19th May, 2007 at 5:07pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

We are a long way from roll out but i can at least see the road , been at this canopy for 3 days of and on and decided
to export the results to see what needs work and was pleasently suprised to find less than expected .
This is a complex assembly and i still need to add the windows that open beside the pilot and copilot , another day or so and i should have the canopy about done with the lessons learned handy for the gun turrets.
Doing a bit more image searching was rewarded with inside views of the turrets looking out with a detailed view
of the bombadeer station and its sights and a super high rez shot of the engines on a mount that will look great
and save scads of poly's yet look real with any luck at all .

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 20th May, 2007 at 6:26pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

While the wife and kid were out to see Spiderman i finished off the canopy and got started on the inside,
plenty left to go in yet with the pics all showing a cramped space leaving the bulk of these frames getting chopped .

« Last Edit: 21st May, 2007 at 7:26am by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 20th May, 2007 at 9:45pm

N2056   Offline
I see blue spots...
San Diego, CA USA

Nice work- I like the canopy framework!

So at the rate you've been going lately this will be out in a week or two, right?  Grin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&
IP Logged

Reply #24 - 21st May, 2007 at 8:01am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

While the date is arbitrary , September sometime is what i am shooting for .
This model will be released with a scenery pack containing the two dams that were breached ,
to liven up the experience they need to explode and have plenty of flak that gets activated by proximity.
While i have developed and coded cannon fire animations for the AT AT walker that modified should make great flak
getting the dams to blow will be a neet trick, admittedly i have given that element some thought and have a couple
of ideas on how to proceed i really won't know if they work until i model the parts , so i am glad i gave myself
lots of time because there is a video to shoot using this game pack for a competition that has a September due date.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 22nd May, 2007 at 11:44am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Great news on the research front with time spent contacting the caretaker of a Lancaster in Nova Scotia
paying off with a series of photos of the interior , for some reason among the thousand i looked at to date
none contained the section where the wing spar went through the interior .
The images were always taken from that point with the photogs back up against the spar  and shooting foreword
and then crawling to the rear and doing the same looking aft , the drawings show a large series of spars but what they
looked like was a mystery .
For this project i hope that " Real " Lancaster personnel take one look and say yup thats what it was like , i will
have to look over this Airwrench program sooner rather than later to get used to developing the flight model ,
with a bit of luck there will be a pilot that flew this aircraft into the 60's who is a simmer .
Funny but this feels like my first " Real " project , puts the fun back into it again with something to win or loose .

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 22nd May, 2007 at 12:17pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Great work so far and it is fantastic to hear you are enjoying it so much.

Cheers
Shad

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #27 - 22nd May, 2007 at 7:21pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I imagine there's a thousand decisions to be made between now and the time the contest is finalized. If the model is just being made for the movie, I'd keep reminding yourself that YouTube washes out a lot of the detail. No point in spending a lot of time in painting every rivet if every rivet isn't going to be seen. But if you also plan to release the model after the movie, then that will probably change how you model things as well.

The days are flying by and I never heard from my former co-worker who built the Lancaster model. I assume that I'm not going to be hearing from him. So I won't have any source files to offer to the team.

I do have a drawing detail of how the special bomb rack was set-up. Would that help you any, or have you already got plans for that?

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 22nd May, 2007 at 8:11pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Hi John , i do have  3 drawings with " The Bomb " but you cant have enough unless they are the same
The series in named    EnglFrancplanes318.tif   , 317 , 319 .  
If not a duplicate please send them to chuck@estrie3d.com , thanks C.J

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 22nd May, 2007 at 8:53pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Wow.........

That interior shot looking down the back of the inside of the fuselage is just awesome, Chuck!  Incredible work.  love the inner ribs with lightning holes. 

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Nice prints!  That should be one superb bird!

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #30 - 22nd May, 2007 at 10:06pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks bill , using a render of the part made mapping those possible to process onto a 256x256 bitmap with room
for the 2 smaller ribs that will go between them and the wing spars going across .
I figure to make the Lancaster the star of the video and bring viewers through what will eventually be a very cramped
space , so tight that the tail gunner used to take off his boots then they slid down into position and put them back on.
Todays bit was a wing and mapping the .bmp prior to chopping the flaps and aileron , 3D modeling is one situation
where you do fly on one wing as one tends to mirror the other side when done.
The texture template is the 10000x6000 pixel .tif i am using for a design drawing , about the only detail that you can't see on them is the cloth covering the ailerons , i'll just have to wing that stretch . Wink

IP Logged

Reply #31 - 23rd May, 2007 at 5:44pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

No longer flying on one wing , the model now has ailerons , underwing flaps .... and a bit of " TLC"

IP Logged

Reply #32 - 24th May, 2007 at 9:02pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Self indulgent as ever today all i managed was chasing a bit of tail , butt as you get into your late forties ..thats something.

The mapping is so precise it will be like doing a paint by numbers layout , wish i always had drawings like this to work from

IP Logged

Reply #33 - 25th May, 2007 at 9:57pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Silly me still chasing tail at my age , today to the sweet sweet voice of Kate Bush i made it through 3 disks
doing the verticals and rudder assembly . nice way to spend an evening ... now back to the Bush 

IP Logged

Reply #34 - 26th May, 2007 at 9:33pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
I want axis-driven animations
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

That's getting better and better Chuck! I love the inside frames too. Smiley

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #35 - 27th May, 2007 at 9:58am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

With only a few hundred parts left to go i kinda thought to get through a list of priorities first , so now with control
surfaces in place engines and landing gear seem a good choice and the goodies like gun turrets to follow .
Manifolds need to be modeled and the gear bays cut out , i have some great detail pics of the gear but i need to find
some with the engine service panels open so a bit of research is on the menu this afternoon .

IP Logged

Reply #36 - 29th May, 2007 at 6:50am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Over at the AlphaSim forum they have a thread going about a person's ride in a Lancaster. Apparently the fellow that I used to work with got a chance to fly in a Lancaster while it was visiting in his area. He sent photos to a mutual acquantence who posted them on the AlphaSim forum. I thought you'd be interested in seeing the images. Interesting how the thread turned into a big discussion on GPS after people noticed the GPS in the cockpit. There's a comment in the latest post about the production problems facing the Dam Buster movie crew.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 29th May, 2007 at 8:21am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks John , cant have enough background info on this.
Got around to doing the gear bays by detaching the polys and the model as it stands at a hair over 20,000 polys now.
In this plane i am planning on doing some sort of radio navigation set within the navigator station , i got a fair number
of images of the equipment to work from ... lots of ideas,  limited time and poly's , same old story i guess.
I have been sending out emails galore and would like to take a trip this summer sometime to the nearest Lancaster
to me , its up in Shads neck of the woods but unfortunately it will never leave the ground .. Sundog was one lucky dude

IP Logged

Reply #38 - 29th May, 2007 at 9:07am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Actually Sundog just posted the images. It was Ed Walters who got the ride. Ed told me that he's been contacted by one of the 3d modelers working on the Peter Jackson Dambuster movie project. Seems they want to use his model as a template for their movie model. They couldn't agree on terms so nothing came of it.

I'm pretty close to deciding to use re-touched photos for backgrounds in my interior shots. But I really should get a story outlined first so that I'll have a better idea of what I'll really need.

Do you have any software that can mimic someone whistling?

IP Logged

Reply #39 - 29th May, 2007 at 12:59pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Hmmm a Roger Witicker module , nope never seen one , pucker up you will get through it

IP Logged

Reply #40 - 29th May, 2007 at 6:45pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I was contemplating having my character whistle a few notes from the movie theme and then make some remark how it'd never catch on.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #41 - 1st Jun, 2007 at 4:58pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thats a nice touch John , myself i figure to use a news reel voice over with a bunch of old maps and the range charts
i scrounged up for the intro with " Mars Bringer of War " from Holst's the Planets in the background throughout ...
or so i hope , still early in the game and i still have a fair few parts to add to this aircraft .
Been going through the list and got the main gear done and animated with the tail wheel left to go before i get to
the fun bits , the turrets ! and bouncing boomer ... i dangle these in front of my nose like a carrot in front of a donkey
to get through the less interesting parts , strange to say that about landing gear but they are becoming " Old Hat "
Been using photo real textures for the main gear , and need to get the center hub mapped yet and the inside of the
wheel well as well , one thing at a time , take my time ... out of character but i am trying ... looking at these makes
me want to get to some texture work .

IP Logged

Reply #42 - 1st Jun, 2007 at 11:48pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

From North Yorkshire down to Lincolnshire an airfield every 5 miles was putting 2 dozen or so of these or Halifax's up every other night, further south the Mighty 8th doing the same in daylight, the whole east coast constantly droning.  I'm sure you can still hear them now on a still night.

The boys of Bomber Command never even received a campaign medal despite losing nearly half their number because their duties were considered 'unseemly' politically after the event.  Albert Speer even acknowledged their contribution to the end of the 3rd Reich although the British government since still hasn't.

That's a fine looking tribute you have going on there Chuck.

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #43 - 2nd Jun, 2007 at 12:07am

N2056   Offline
I see blue spots...
San Diego, CA USA

I must agree...
The fun part is watching how quickly you've become so good at this! I wish I could be so prolific and maintain a good final product.

As I recall, one of the keys to making the bomb work properly was that it had to be dropped at a precise hieght, and the way they determined it was by using spotlights on the wingtips angled inwards such that when you were at the right altitude the circles from the left & right spotlights were superimposed on each other. I should think this would be a feature that is included...

Looking Good!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&
IP Logged

Reply #44 - 2nd Jun, 2007 at 8:28am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The research for this project has been a reward unto itself , phonecalls to an ever diminishing number of veterans now
in their 80's has been telling , you can hear in their voice the importance they held their part in ending the war.
Churchill had a way of phrasing that captured the moment well , it was their " Finest Hour " .
It has been argued the " Bomber Harris " crossed the line , but he was not alone and had only one choice ... to win .
Collectively the British deserve recognition for having held the line in the face of an enemy who stopped at nothing
to try and defeat an entire populations will to fight for the idea that freedom is worth any price paid . CJ

P.S those spotlights were fore and aft on the fuselage and have been on my mind for a couple of days now , from
a technical standpioint they need to cross at 60 feet but be visible on the ground at 300 and lower as round circles
yet not be visible in profile ... not quite sure yet how to do this and suspect a little XML Kung Fu will be required .

IP Logged

Reply #45 - 2nd Jun, 2007 at 2:53pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Quote:
The research for this project has been a reward unto itself , phonecalls to an ever diminishing number of veterans now
in their 80's has been telling , you can hear in their voice the importance they held their part in ending the war.
Churchill had a way of phrasing that captured the moment well , it was their " Finest Hour " .
It has been argued the " Bomber Harris " crossed the line , but he was not alone and had only one choice ... to win .
Collectively the British deserve recognition for having held the line in the face of an enemy who stopped at nothing
to try and defeat an entire populations will to fight for the idea that freedom is worth any price paid . CJ

I'll bet the research has been great, I did a social history project on the impact of the stations on the local communities in East Yorks (4 Group Bomber Command, Halifaxes), it was one of the most enlightening things I've ever done. 
I was at the Yorks Aviation Museum with my daughters around that time and being young and frivolous, and much to my chagrin, they decided to 'burn up' the grass in front of the memorial there.  Having scolded them and hauled them in this smiling old gent came up to me, having witnessed this scene, he said "That's why we went. To see them enjoying their freedom 50 years on is worth more than any honour".
He was a Canadian (as were many of 4 Group) vet from 102 Squadron, we sat, and he went on to recount many of his experiences as the girls played on.
Magic moments.

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #46 - 4th Jun, 2007 at 5:22pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Finally getting to the fun bits ! my first machine guns photo textures .. so tight in the turret i cant shoot a camera

IP Logged

Reply #47 - 4th Jun, 2007 at 7:08pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

You must not have the perspective turned on for your screenshot. Notice how the vertical stabilizer further away from the camera  is exactly the same size as the VS closer to the camera.

I'm in awe that you even thought of giving the veterans a phone call.  I'm actually surprised that there are any left to call.

Salute.

IP Logged

Reply #48 - 4th Jun, 2007 at 8:15pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Right you are about that being a user view and one cant see much in it so i did it again close up, still have a few parts
to add yet but the main elements are there with all the control nodes .
As to calling vets there was only so much i can get from drawings and i had a few questions about the suspension
i needed to know before animating the main gear .. also they deserve a bit of attention and are happy to talk about
some of their stories , call it background chatter from the past and good for context .

IP Logged

Reply #49 - 6th Jun, 2007 at 8:55pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A four banger resides in the rear , this is where the model splits into different parts with much of the interior model being  modeled and the exterior will get a photo of the inner parts rendered  on a plane . a couple of support tubes are needed yet but they are no brainers .. next the " Upkeep " or bouncing boom and the last of the fuse chop job
before the texture is mapped one last time .

IP Logged

Reply #50 - 6th Jun, 2007 at 10:43pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

I forgot to mention the Museum I was referring to earlier actually houses the 'Barnes Wallis' collection today.

They are prolly worth an email, I've always found them incredibly helpful as far as digging through their archive goes.

IP Logged

Reply #51 - 7th Jun, 2007 at 6:02am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Thanks , first time i came across a turret collection

IP Logged

Reply #52 - 7th Jun, 2007 at 12:54pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I haven't quite figured how to work it into my script - but Barnes Wallis has had an impact on everyday life that still lasts to this day. From what I've been told, while doing research on what shape to make the "bouncing bomb", Wallis discovered that by putting dimples on a sphere, it would go straighter when going through the air. Everytime a golfer hits a golf ball he should thank Mr. Wallis for his discovery.

IP Logged

Reply #53 - 7th Jun, 2007 at 2:44pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

While true the dimples only found their way onto a few of the sphere prototypes , the final version was smooth .
Still Barnes Wallis was an inventive fellow , he also must have been convincing to have gotten some of his ideas off
the drafting table and into production , you should look over Johnbouy link Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  .
BW was productive along with being possesed of a good noodler.
With dimples he discovered that turbulence can reduce drag leading to a flatter trajectory, these days this has been applied to underwater machinery with bubbles being released from the nose of torpedoes leading to speeds over 200 mph .

IP Logged

Reply #54 - 7th Jun, 2007 at 4:26pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Forgot to add the days results with some more structure added to the turrets

IP Logged

Reply #55 - 8th Jun, 2007 at 12:08am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Knowing how fast you make things - you're probably past the point where you could use these photos of the back turret, but I thought you might enjoy seeing them any way. I found them on the web a few years ago.

I don't know why I bother toying with ideas for my own video. If you recorded any of your phone calls with the veterans, you've got all the makings of a smashing video that goes beyond being just another flight sim video, it'll be documentary quality stuff.

Bravo Chuck

IP Logged

Reply #56 - 8th Jun, 2007 at 8:02am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Imagine for a moment how the gunner would feel "shoehorned" into a space of that size for 8 hours ... incapable of
moving much more than his frozen fingers .... waiting ...forever waiting for the ME109 to arrive with ill intent, they
know exactly how the fish in the bucket feel as the shadow overhead opens fire ....  the sound of 80 rounds a second
spewing forth from the 4 Brownings ... there is no life like it , or perhaps for half of them no death like it .

The Avatars had better not be claustrophobic
« Last Edit: 8th Jun, 2007 at 9:13am by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #57 - 8th Jun, 2007 at 3:48pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I got tired of looking at the " Nude " mapping and decided to do some preliminary texture work for grins. ... it makes it look more like a Lancester and is sure going to help add the last few exterior parts by making it seem like i am getting somewhere ... like on to the interior model

IP Logged

Reply #58 - 9th Jun, 2007 at 2:39pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Those photos remind me a lot od my Mechano set. Remember those? I had a military one and you often ended up building similar looking carriages for the turrets on what ever model you were building.

IP Logged

Reply #59 - 9th Jun, 2007 at 2:49pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Looking good Chuck!  Love the well shaped engine nacelles and cool undercarriage.  Nice texture mapping on the tires.  Looks like they have real knobbies.

Smiley

Coming along quite well sir!

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #60 - 9th Jun, 2007 at 5:57pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Military Mechano.... nope had lots and still do with the youngin about but he is into wheels more than anything else.
Does screwing pixels count ? ... at least it has guns , massive explosive devices and scenery at some point .
For the moment it will do fine , and there is no limit to what can be produced in 3DS , plus it never leaves bits in the carpet hooverd up

IP Logged

Reply #61 - 11th Jun, 2007 at 6:46am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

One stupid question Chuck... what's that huge roller in the bomb bay? Shocked

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #62 - 11th Jun, 2007 at 7:17am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Why Paco i am glad you asked , it was a five ton bomb that when dropped at 60' would bounce
across the water and strike the damm then its backspin of 500 revolutions per minute would keep it in contact with
the wall until it sank to a depth of 30 feet and it would blow a ruddy big hole in the wall .
That is when all went well , should the release be late it would skip right over the damm and blow the plane out of the air .. the other thing they were good for was paving airfields and really big pie crusts .

IP Logged

Reply #63 - 12th Jun, 2007 at 12:39pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

It had been some 200 parts ago that i had exported this model to flight sim and it was prudent to ship it off to make
model for a look at if it went through and what was buggerd up in flight sim ... i got off lucky and had time to do the
contact points and some cfg stuff so as to make the model fly the bulk of the parts are in and the cockpit underway
with a total of 42.000 poly's to date with 272 parts .
At this point after one months work i can start to vary my modeling diet between textures , gauges  and air/cfg mods
along with doing the animations and code for the custom stuff  . its feels good to get out of a stedy diet of Max at last

IP Logged

Reply #64 - 12th Jun, 2007 at 9:56pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The voyage home , after a little flight test

IP Logged

Reply #65 - 13th Jun, 2007 at 3:28am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Nice!

(So... that thing wasn't a King-kong-sized toilet paper dispenser  Roll Eyes)

IP Logged

Reply #66 - 15th Jun, 2007 at 6:14pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

A few days work has passed since my last post due to doing one of those long jobs the panel, i have been doing some
flight testing but it feels strange without a panel and so into the breech i went with emails sent to a lancaster caretaker
in Nova Scotia for some close ups of the panel and a bunch of new parts to paste them on .. nowhere near done
but lest the members think i am copulating with a K9 i decided a screenshot was in order of the progress .

IP Logged

Reply #67 - 15th Jun, 2007 at 7:44pm

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Awesome!  Smiley
To my taste, it will look even nicer if the interior textures have no specularity at all... FS specular shine, for some strange reason, seems to display nicely on exterior parts but not on interior ones (in my opinion).

IP Logged

Reply #68 - 15th Jun, 2007 at 8:33pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

You may well be right about that , the specularity of the glass faces and that they remove the ability of tool tips
to display over the gauges made me remove them for this export, and by the time i am finished modeling all the parts and pasting labels and such , in all probability just use a render of the whole thing and save a ton of poly's
for other stuff , and get the 2D and exterior model panel display in the bargain ... still early in the game .
+ 3DS does such a wonderful job of shadows with raytracer and other effects that you almost dont need to touch things up in photoshop.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - 17th Jun, 2007 at 10:53am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The results of having modeled more of the panel bits and another screen test
you can still see the layout lines in the base layer , stlill got to add the bump layer and rivits on there
Some crud and paint chips on the panel perhaps with perhaps a littlt shadow  ... it looks too new
there are 2 black 2d gauge bitmas to be modeled yet and are sized clones of the pic on plane i used lay out the panel

IP Logged

Reply #70 - 17th Jun, 2007 at 3:50pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Wouldn't the planes used in the raid have been new? They had to be modified to carry the bomb. Wouldn't it have been easier to modify planes coming from the factory than pulling planes from operational squadrons? I know people like to see their cockpits all scratched up, but a lot of these planes didn't last long enough to suffer such wear and tear. I imagine this is more an art director decision than one of historical accuracy.

Just thinking outloud again.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #71 - 17th Jun, 2007 at 6:43pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

You raise a valid point , even if this model was used the MkIII followed the release of the "pure British " versions
now sporting US engines  they they would first have seen service in 43 , same year of the raids in May..... still
a pic of Garbo would add some personality.
The other factor is all the pics i look over are highly used airplanes in fair to poor condition and took a beating in service ... and survived

IP Logged

Reply #72 - 17th Jun, 2007 at 11:47pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

A picture of Garbo would be good. Vera Lynn was a popular singer of the time and would be a good alternative as well. Maybe our UK forumites would have some suggestions.

FYI - I went looking for RAF uniforms for Poser the other day and found a half-way decent RAF WW2 service uniform for enlisted and officers. About $12 for each. ( My officer cap is better - I'll give you a copy if you need it) I didn't find any bomber command gear yet.  Using Poser for figure animations is a key part of my plans for my video, and if I've got to build an outfit from scratch, I might just drop out, as the AT6 is still using up all my spare time.

Three months to go and the clock is ticking louder.

IP Logged

Reply #73 - 18th Jun, 2007 at 6:50am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I still have a copy of that hat ..35000 poly's , and the tailgunner i installed had 350 polygons ..
I think i will end up modeling a bomber jacket and dropping that on one of my dudes for the actor playing Guy Gibson , i still have a saved 3DS scene i did for shad with an animated talking head dressed in a wool RAF jacket
shot in a closeup it will permit me to shoot a background in the model and installed behind the avatar to simulate
any location in minutes .. a quick change of lights and camera angle and hit record  select avi , resolution ... go for a swim .. i should post a pic of the lake , its so private that suits are a rare delay when on hot days i get back from trimming trees throw myself in " degrunge " and trapse up the house ... whats the expression , to much information.

oh the 350 poly tail gunner i have to render the legs , arms and aiming assembly and install it on a blob of mesh

IP Logged

Reply #74 - 18th Jun, 2007 at 10:16pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Todays passel of parts were mostly gauges for the engineers station and the flaps , gear lever some trim wheels
and for my simming comfort the chair , there are 2 sub panels to go ...  yag

IP Logged

Reply #75 - 19th Jun, 2007 at 5:57pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Getting tuned in and the engineers panel

IP Logged

Reply #76 - 20th Jun, 2007 at 4:23pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

« Last Edit: 20th Jun, 2007 at 11:15pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #77 - 21st Jun, 2007 at 8:25pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The bombsight took an hour to do , and about 20 minutes to figure out how to do it without transparent bitmaps
and a thousand poly's yet be photo real ... something new in modeling and will come in handy for all sorts of things
any guesses ?

IP Logged

Reply #78 - 22nd Jun, 2007 at 6:38am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

My guess - you first map the photo of the bombsight onto a poly the size ratio of the photo. Then using that as a template you create a polygon that's just the shape of the bombsite. Then you use the UVW tool that lets you take the uvw values from one object and assign it to another. You should end up with a polygon that's textured with the photo of the bombsight and you don't use any transparencies.

IP Logged

Reply #79 - 22nd Jun, 2007 at 6:55am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Mapped the pic to a plane , converted to editable patch and boolean with shaped boxes using cut remove inside
as the setting until there was only the sight left ... i did not want to have any of those strange effects fsx has with
transparent bitmaps behind clouds or smoke

IP Logged

Reply #80 - 25th Jun, 2007 at 8:41pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

We had the Fete du Quebec over weekend with any number of distractions to keep me away from Max until today
when i chucked a few more parts into the interior , the last of the frame work , spars and bulkheads are done and
what remains to be modeled are oxegen bottles , ammo tracks and more wires .. fun, fun, fun !

IP Logged

Reply #81 - 27th Jun, 2007 at 11:56pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

May i present Wing commander Guy Penrose Gibson . VC, DFC, DSO , leader of the mission and pilot of this Lancaster

The head is a low poly model  with minor alterations and repaints should allow for me to crew the model, the only trick
i built in so far is he blinks ... should be kinda spooky in the sim when crew members do that

This is a pic of WC Gibson
« Last Edit: 29th Jun, 2007 at 8:49pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #82 - 28th Jun, 2007 at 11:16pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Now fully dressed and with the rest of his parts i can get to animating the steering colum and arm movements,
i don't bother animating the legs and feet anymore because i won't put the pilots in the vc due to viewpoint problems with the eyepoint ending up inside the head and i loose the ability to click on stuff

IP Logged

Reply #83 - 29th Jun, 2007 at 5:11pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Doing a bit o bitmappin , and another screentest 50 feet above the sea.. looks real and that is what i want for this video

IP Logged

Reply #84 - 29th Jun, 2007 at 6:46pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Some might complain that your pilot doesn't look like Richard Todd  Smiley But I won't be one of them. Good work as usual.

I just did a quick search on Todd to make sure I spelled the name right and had the proper actor. What an interesting career he's had. He did in real life the part he played in the movie, The Longest Day. Incredible. According to Wikkiepedia - He's still living somewhere in England. Who knows, he might get to see your movie.

IP Logged

Reply #85 - 3rd Jul, 2007 at 8:04pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

After rendering all of the panels and pasting the results in place of the modeled parts and chopping out the unseen elements from inside this is my first look at the exterior model in the sim , again lucky with a clean and trouble free export after piling on the parts , it looks identical to the above shot that was done in 3DS with a sea and sky i produced in Bryce

IP Logged

Reply #86 - 3rd Jul, 2007 at 10:25pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

remarkable

IP Logged

Reply #87 - 10th Jul, 2007 at 1:50pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Not beyond a bit of work on the cockpit and flight testing, about the only addition to the exterior model was the prop animation for the controls in the cockpit .

IP Logged

Reply #88 - 11th Jul, 2007 at 9:07pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

IP Logged

Reply #89 - 12th Jul, 2007 at 4:44pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Todays contribution brings it down to one gauge and a switch to go on the panel , but it flies well enough without

IP Logged

Reply #90 - 14th Jul, 2007 at 10:53am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Animated the turrets and gunfire effect , in the first pick you can just make out the tracer  these can be aimed
and go where the guns are pointed.
The guns & turret are operated from the cockpit or the turret by dragging with the mouse and in spot plane mode with your keyboard,  gunfire is rigged to the brakes and fires above 20 feet . no gauges or lighting effects busses are used

IP Logged

Reply #91 - 14th Jul, 2007 at 6:45pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

It's a given that you're very good at rigging effects.

What stunned me this time around was the textures that you had on the guns in the turret. Incredible. 

May I make a slight suggestion.

Consider putting a black or dark gray layer over the gun textures and putting the transparency at 30 percent. That way you can still see all the detail but it won't look like there's a spot light shining in the turret.

Excellent work

IP Logged

Reply #92 - 16th Jul, 2007 at 6:49pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The bouncing bomb bounces, the missed shot falls to the surface with a splat.. now to figure out a splash effect

IP Logged

Reply #93 - 17th Jul, 2007 at 8:53am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

! Smiley!

IP Logged

Reply #94 - 24th Jul, 2007 at 2:59pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I know that it don't look like much but the aiming lights required some thought to set up and have work in all views
including the 2d , varie the beam at different altitudes and make it go away in the day.
At any rate the lights were about the last part on the exterior model for this version.

IP Logged

Reply #95 - 27th Jul, 2007 at 1:49pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

As a sign of the exterior parts being completed for this version a stop in photo shop for the 9 layer of engine grime
and on the decal level the final safety warnings and the fasteners are added

IP Logged

Reply #96 - 27th Jul, 2007 at 4:25pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Looking very sharp, Chuck!  Cool

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #97 - 7th Sep, 2007 at 6:19am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I looked on the SSA website and there's no mention of the Dam Buster video contest except one post back in May announcing the contest. With all the activity of moving you and your family to Montreal - were you able to get an entry finished ?

IP Logged

Reply #98 - 7th Sep, 2007 at 7:30am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Malgre tout non , I got so wrapped up with moving i have not booted 3DS for three weeks.
The time will soon come when all the setup is done and i will get back into the beat , but i sill have finish
configuring / loading software onto a new pair of machines but its getting there with FS9/FSX having been loaded last night , all the updates up and running .

I had not expected to see my old place/life to have " rolled over " fast as it did , and so adapting to a new routine will take some time ... i cant say for the moment when i will get this finished but being that its about the only job i have i really should get back to work ... its been a month of distractions.

IP Logged

Reply #99 - 21st Sep, 2007 at 7:09pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The “Interlude “of real world preoccupations have become manageable and allow the virtual to again hold sway,
Had a flight or two on the servers using both FS9 and FSX with tile proxy and have finally got all of the software
used to build these models running in harmony with Vista in their new home a HP m8120n.
The plane had gotten to the three quarter point and much of what was left falls under the heading of scatology
and gauge work that i relish equally but the project must get finished to justify the work already done .
None the less there are a couple of versions with the " special " loads this particular Lancaster used to deliver
to spice up the diet and when i was doing the code for the bouncing bomb i also did the high altitude drop
animations.
Back to work Wink

IP Logged

Reply #100 - 22nd Sep, 2007 at 8:14pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Did you happen to notice the post that I put over in the SSA video forum - asking about the video contests?

I got the same old answer about the announcement of the winner of the second contest - "I'm busy with other things - I'll get to it soon."

About the music video contest - no entries

About the Dam Buster video contest - no entries. Interesting was the comment that the head guy knows someone who works with Peter Jackson and he was hoping to use that contact to ask Peter Jackson if he might judge the contest entries, since he's working on a re-make of the Dam Buster movie.  Nothing came of it.

But there is a promise that there will be more video contests in the future - with broader themes.

I hope you finish your movie, as I'd very much like to see it. You mentioned long ago that you called veterns on the phone to get their input. I hope you were able to record the calls. Anything that incorporates what they have to say would be of a value far greater than any machinima video yet made.

After having struggled with aircraft animations the last few days I'm even more impressed with what you've been able to do with the Lancaster. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your labors.

IP Logged

Reply #101 - 22nd Sep, 2007 at 10:26pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Good to hear from you John and as to SSA i have not logged on to the site in some time , doing something with the
collected material is going to take some thought having missed the deadline the motivations are different.
Strange sort of thrill getting back into the saddle again , getting around the problems and limits of the platform seems to be part of the reward ... and it a good thing because it looks tough to make a buck doing this so it must be for love ..

IP Logged

Reply #102 - 23rd Sep, 2007 at 12:03am

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Well it seems other aviation video sites are popping up all over. It seems avsim and simviation each have their own video sections now. Even the folks at airshowbuzz are having a video contest with a SUV as the grand prize. So your potential audience is growing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print