Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dambuster V2.0 (Read 7543 times)
Reply #15 - 21st Nov, 2007 at 5:58pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

After thinking over interior shadows i decided to build another fuse using manifold geometry
and to paint the windows on the bitmap along with using it for transparency.
This time round i used a tube and stack of modifiers to produce what had been lofted off cross sections
the other thing was a custom environment map for the glass reflections and a bit of tinkering with the materials editor
and parts houskeeping where all the unused glass and old fuse get filed under G

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 22nd Nov, 2007 at 2:27pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

You remodeled the fuse? And you did this when? Man you work fast. Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 22nd Nov, 2007 at 3:59pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I converted most of the DC3 from 3ds-> Gmax by lunch and did that in the afternoon , along with
a couple of others to sort through the effects that resulted .
There are advantages to using splines for shapes but the normals seem to behave better on those
standard primitives and there are many fuselage shapes that lend themselves well to using tubes.

Still whatever the form producing the raw mesh with the location of the holes lined up with the vertex is key
to closing the mesh quickly afterwards using select edge - select open edges - extrude or shift drag those highlighted edges
and weld the resulting new verts together - then scale them back to the start point , and a perfect chamfer edge results
about 15 seconds work on a orderly bit of mesh and it is faster than trying to fix a piece of older mesh that has been optimized.

Interestingly at least with the DC3 done by Aces they seem to have gotten around this Manifold geometry by
having the entire wing ,fuse, flaps all the engines and what have you as part of the bone structure and as such
on a separate material that has allow shadows unchecked, and one draw call of the GPU .

The self shadowing interior is dependent on using manifold geometry , it’s not likely to be included as part
of many freeware products and the pay ware boys are probably re-evaluating production methods some..

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 23rd Nov, 2007 at 10:46am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The new parts imported into the interior model to see what it looks like

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

one from the spot view with some shifting of the layers in photo shop needed

i am moving on to remap the tail section
then come the bones to weld all these parts except prop disks into one part and one draw call or so the theory goes
« Last Edit: 23rd Nov, 2007 at 3:38pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 25th Nov, 2007 at 6:20pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Post tail remap the model takes on a photo like quality even before the texture work is done

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 26th Nov, 2007 at 2:40pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Normal map , Fresnal Ramp ( tweaked ) , Reflections ( overdone for fun ),what FSX is all about

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 26th Nov, 2007 at 7:26pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I can make out the shadows on the wheels and the engine nacelles (sp?) - just barely. All those fantastic features done on a plane painted black...It looks great.

Are you still planning to make a movie of your own or is this just going to be put on the market for other movie makers to work with? I'm kinda hopeing you're still going to make the one you originally planned because if I understand your earlier posts, then you laid the foundation for making something special.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 26th Nov, 2007 at 8:36pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

There are likely to be three paints with one deep blue and a  daytime camo with the light belly, different loadouts ,, yada yada yada, you know the drill.
Scenery with this and a bunch of missions will also take time to do , but much time was spent figuring out what happened with sp2 and trying to catch a shadow..
not wasted effort as there are so many ways of cooking up a texture sheet now its a bit like making stew.
Mixed in for some spice are updates,  FS9 GA models in need of sp2 animation tags , remapping and texture sets , these were all 3DS jobs but i noted there
was a tonne of models done in Gmax needing the same treatment so i worked on streamlining the process in that platform with the somewhat limited toolset , no baked bitmaps , no normal modifier..no turbo smooth .. sniff  

Dont think i am going to get a chance to do more than a promo video, but the recordings of the vets are not likely to go to waste .
About ten years ago i produced a series of 5,  2 minute radio spots for the Department Of Canadian Heritage where i recorded authors and historians doing a reading of some text over an appropriate soundscape with a lead in and close acknowledging the contributions of the Department  , $11,000  for ten minutes on a mini disk Wink    

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 28th Nov, 2007 at 9:27pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Today was devoted to the props and necelles, the lines layer and its resulting normal map will be done at the
end after adding the wheels to the ground shadows.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 29th Nov, 2007 at 1:21pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Shadow mapping pretty much done there are one or two dodads left to put on the main bitmap , there is
one 1024 in action that i use for the renders of  gauges and faked panel parts that are used for the cockpit and it has a lightmap , these
comprise material number 2
All the fuselage , tail , engine cowlings , in short every component that will become part of the boned mesh is on the main texture sheet

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 2nd Dec, 2007 at 1:53pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

These pilot figures can be troublesome , further they have access to far more system resources than in FX9 , no sooner
had i booted flightsim up than a tool tip popup is on screen saying the props simply won't do.. i cant prove it but this is new with Acceleration

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 4th Dec, 2007 at 5:41pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

The new props are what were on later models and animating them for pitch  turned out to be more fun than planned, when i installed 3DS on a new machine after much pain and suffering i forgot to set the controllers and that caused a few unexpected turns and took a couple hours and a shower
to figure out... it was in the shower in fact that i realized what was amiss .. proving once again the value of a break to clean up your thoughts .

« Last Edit: 18th Dec, 2007 at 9:16pm by Chuck Jodry »  

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 18th Dec, 2007 at 9:11pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Yep, some of my best thoughts have come in the shower Smiley

Looking good mon ami.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print