Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Shadow On The Feature Set (Read 4176 times)
25th Nov, 2007 at 9:21am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

Solved !
It’s a competitive world and the consequences of that hit home this morning covering a warm glow with a cold shadow at the conclusion of two weeks of research .

The problem was getting FS9 and standard materials to cast shadows in the same manner as FSX Materials
do on the ground and in the VC  enabling VC shadowing outside of DX10 and do so without having to update
all the model parts and materials to manifold geometry and FSX materials... the solution was so blindingly simple
it took me two weeks to figure out.

And there lies the dilemma , each company has a feature set that distinguishes it from all competing products in some
way besides top class textures and attention to detail ..those are baseline , what makes a sale is the distinctions between
products in a market where less than ten percent of users purchase addons that are tripping over themselves to get market share.

Sales vary greatly but the maximum figures on payware that i am aware of seldom exceed 2000 units and in rare cases over a
products run might hit 5000 units , the potential client base of a strictly FSX/SP1/2/Accell compliant model is therefore highly limited..
although somewhat less so if the products , commissions and updates by your company enable a distinct feature set.

In a business so filled with NDA's i get sick of hearing the acronym i am stuck in the position of feeling ill at heart on the
eve of an epiphany of sorts and knowing from a business perspective all i can do is make the most of '' intellectual property ''
but that offers cold comfort in what was a domain filled with confederates is today one where i am surrounded by the competition .

It’s like being rebaptised as a capitalist swine in need of a haircut, good thing so few drop in this section of FFDS i needed to make a confession this Sunday but would rather it goes unheard     C.J   

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 25th Nov, 2007 at 12:57pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Welcome to the "club," Chuck. I know it's "Cold Comfort,' but now you are in a position to know just how its been for me these past few years...  Undecided

Unlike the vast majority of my fellow commercial developers, I've chosen not to take the "easy way out" by simply remaining silent... always "taking" but never "giving..."

Yet, every time I set fingers to keyboard I skate the razor's edge formed by the desire for sharing knowledge and the numerous NDAs to which I am bound.

It is a source of constant anguish whenever I see those whom I consider to be friends faffing about trying to solve a problem and realizing that I'm not at liberty to provide more than what all too often amounts to merely all-too-subtle "hints" at a solution...  Cry

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 25th Nov, 2007 at 1:32pm

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

Well, the good news these days is the world is about as sick of NDA'a as you. Patents are starting to be overturned and open source continues to rise. In the coming years I suspect we well see business models that reflect alternate revenue schemes and a move away from the traditional retail model.

I suspect that it might be challenging to demonstrate that any particular "invention" or feature actually results in significantly higher sales over other similar models. What can be demonstrated is that a company with consistently high quality models, where a focus on attention to detail and correctness are paramount, will sell more than a company who only releases models with lots of wizbangs.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 25th Nov, 2007 at 1:54pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I suspect none of the above... but think the key is customer service , one whiff of deficiency in that department and your toast

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 25th Nov, 2007 at 4:05pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Back in the late 90's I had an "inspired" idea for a product that couldn't have been made with the then current technology. It was the idea of combining simulation technology with the art tradition of hanging images on a wall to produce what I called living pictures, or images that changed over time.

Well I visited an electronics store yesterday for the first time in a long time and I discovered that what was a dream in 1998 has now become a reality. In the store was what was called digital picture frames. They hang on the wall but they display digital images. When I first had my idea I thought things would come about that people would start hanging their flat panel TV's on the wall and when folks upgraded their displays - the older versions would get assigned the task of being "living pictures" hung in rooms other than the entertainment center.

I said all that to say this - There is another way to make revenue using our modeling skills other than making add-ons for MS flight simulator products and that would be using these computer creations to create content for these digital picture frames. When people go to their media outlets and they buy music and movies they could also pick up a disc designed specifically for their digital picture frames. There's all kinds of content that could be created using the items that we've created for MSFS. It's like we're at the dawn of a new type of medium or media.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 25th Nov, 2007 at 4:10pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

John You Are A Genius .. just three dimentional  objects in slow mutation with the right lighting are striking when onscreen , the lattice modifier tool in 3DS
produces such objects

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 7th Dec, 2007 at 8:24pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Two days from fs9 source and the effects of an effective solution
turned on and off

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 9th Aug, 2011 at 11:20pm

William   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!
florida

I'm very glad to find the site.It's really a good site and I can find so many interesting things and news and see so many good people,of course get so much help from here.It's really a amazing experience.

very good thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------

Do you need a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register bag?I think it's very necessary.A lady Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register will give u good performance.This is a very good Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register,you will like it and this is a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register online store,It's very fashionable in teenagers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print