Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
The Show us yer WIP's (Read 4523 times)
7th Feb, 2008 at 3:44pm

jonbouy   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Rye, England

This thread started life as a show case for my personal Works In Progress and if you read through you will see it became a discussion on how best to post working progress of your projects here on FFDS without interfering with the flow of the rest of the forum. And the 'Pub' was considered as a good place to put them up.

So the guidelines for posting freely your works of art without fear of them being 'hi-jacked' by someone else's WIP, have been discussed. They are, as I understand them presently;

1/ Do NOT post images in someone else's WIP, feel free to discuss what's going on in the thread, but the poster of the work in progress is sharing his work for YOUR benefit so don't swamp the thread with what you are doing.

2/ Identify your Work in Progress thread clearly in the title i.e; WIP-Paco's B17 or WIP-Mario's Projects. This will help making sure that if someone didn't understand the first guideline we can get Felix to clear out the offending post(s).

3/ Try to keep a particular emphasis on how you solve particular problems during the course of development in order to benefit the community at large in your WIP thread.  Its is far more useful to others to remove the 'stumbling stone' rather than proudly declare "I did that too!" when you watch the next person fall ass over tit in the same place.

4/ EVERYBODY here is good enough.  Encourage the positives, rather than destroy someone else's confidence. Also don't be shy as to whether your contribution should go up, you may just have the key that stops somebody else's hair being pulled out in frustration.

5/ Be as lavish as you like with your illustrations, but bear in mind that most sane folk will give up if your thread takes half-hour to load. Also bear in mind images that are to0 big may break the forum view for some folk trying to have a look on lesser monitors than your prized 'Cinemascope Immersion Experience 16000 X 9000 magapixel' screen.

Edit: NEW WIP AREA

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 12th Feb, 2008 at 5:40pm by jonbouy »  

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 7th Feb, 2008 at 3:50pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Will you have Japanese animae babes as passengers and penquins looking like Opus as the pilot and co pilot?

Cheesy   Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 7th Feb, 2008 at 4:33pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

lionheart wrote on 7th Feb, 2008 at 3:50pm:
Will you have Japanese animae babes as passengers and penquins looking like Opus as the pilot and co pilot?

Cheesy   Wink

... and a chocolate egg style hangar... Wink

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 7th Feb, 2008 at 9:46pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Thats alot of work you are facing.  At least you can skip from project to project when that project is burning you out.

I hope to do 12 this year..    but man.  So hard to get anything done...!   arrghh..

The Jabi should be pretty popular.  Alot of people in Europe like those birds.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 8th Feb, 2008 at 4:37am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

lionheart wrote on 7th Feb, 2008 at 9:46pm:
Thats alot of work you are facing.  At least you can skip from project to project when that project is burning you out.

I hope to do 12 this year..    but man.  So hard to get anything done...!   arrghh..

The Jabi should be pretty popular.  Alot of people in Europe like those birds.

There seems to be a stage in every project where I just don't want to look at it anymore I hope having a few in the 'hangar' at various stages will be more productive long term for the reason you have given.

12!!! Man that's one a month...  Shocked  That would make me start going..... aaaaarrrrgggghhh

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 9th Feb, 2008 at 12:15pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

The big bird is underway....YAY. (see #6 above)

The plan is to start off modelling the complete DC-4 and then using all the original conversion drawings making the exact same amendments to the original airframe as were made in the original conversion. Namely the big bulbous nose the front gear and tail fin.

This ain't no Jelly Bean 'cause if the references don't add up they go in the bin, this has been in the planning for ages I hope I end up doing it justice this time.

The original one was released within 3 months of me firing up gMax, and it shows, despite that it has had over 10,000 downloads to date... Cool

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 10th Feb, 2008 at 8:37am

mariopilot   Offline
Fly to Live, Live to Fly
Carasco, Italy, Genova

BigBeautifulBeast ATL-98!

Well, the "PiaggioMan" confirms its identity: WIP Piaggio PD-808, RM version below...

Just the plane...

and the same but in "totally dirty configuartion"

virtual cabin underway... will be very spartan in this "Radio Misure" verions, that served to calibrate NAVAids...

gears, spoilers and co.  Cool

The one-piece elevator and its surroundings...

Nose gear detail...

Project Status: After a shocking fast start, it's nearly stalled due to university and real-world stuff...  Roll Eyes
...But will be back and going at a normal speed once exams are over and lessons start again... (I Hope...)

Mariopilot
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10th Feb, 2008 at 4:07pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Man, that is alot of progress youve done on that bird Mario!  Nice!   Looks like you only have to do textures now.

Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 10th Feb, 2008 at 8:56pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Cool

Mario,

There's a lot of work in there. It's gonna be fun just watching the gear retract. There some lovely mesh on there too, for example, the tailfin to fuse join is immaculate.

Did you get a handle on the 'chute braking yet?

I just spent the whole day doing the DC4 tail it's driven me nuts, I wouldn't mind but the vertical stabilizer is gonna change anyways... Still, I've hived off the mesh so far for an AI version later.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 11th Feb, 2008 at 3:11am

mariopilot   Offline
Fly to Live, Live to Fly
Carasco, Italy, Genova

Hello all...
Thanks for the comments...
Yup I worked on the chute already... it is supposed to have a very low poly desigfn and use alpha transparency instead...
it works by popping out first a  diametrally sqeezed and enlongated version, then depending on reverse nozzle position it jumps to more "open" meshes ... all XML controlled. There is a XML animation that orients it according to fuselage angle,  similar to AoA... and checks if speed is high enoug to deploy the chute. if speed drops, the chute disappears, so it will not retract back inside as it is supposed to be left behind after landing.. a couple of  contra-rotating tick18 animations give the chute some oscillation... 

HEY! why don't we add a "WIP forum" under the news section?

Mariopilot
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 11th Feb, 2008 at 8:42am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

mariopilot wrote on 11th Feb, 2008 at 3:11am:

HEY! why don't we add a "WIP forum" under the news section?

Felix issues the 'Pub' licenses so he's yer man.

Meanwhile you could start a 'Mario's Wip's' thread here in the bar, it's a service I'll extend to all my regulars, give it more of a 'local pub' feel and make the place look lived in and spare the rest of the forum from all the ME, ME, ME type posts, which is prolly the reason why I got thrown in here in the first place... Wink

There is a thread in the News section that everyone posts on which has got massively out of hand and slow to load therefore difficult to read.  So in an attempt to make good use of the 'Real Estate' I've been given, if anyone want's to start their own WIP thread in here, the etiquette will be that you can reply to the creators thread but the only images allowed will be of that creators, creations.....

...will that work?

The idea is working for me already in that I only have to update the linked image in order to reflect the current state of progress and don't have to host countless pics of the same project and the thread doesn't (in theory) get too long and cumbersome.  Sooooo.....

....Give it a go, Mario,
or anyone that wants to show,
Start a thread and let it flow
And let them all know,
About yer Piag-gio... Cool

(c) Gangsta Bill Shakespeare, 2008

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 11th Feb, 2008 at 10:03am

mariopilot   Offline
Fly to Live, Live to Fly
Carasco, Italy, Genova

Hello!
well, really, was not a "selfish myself" idea of a WIP section! It  will just be great to know what everyone is working on... but right there is already this "chatter section"  here... Cheesy
I'm not a very selfish person as I feel I'm just the youg apprendice here...  what you see is just what I learnt from all the massively talented people like you that just happen to be part of this very friendly comunity..
KUDOS to all!  Cool

Mariopilot
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 11th Feb, 2008 at 10:32am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

mariopilot wrote on 11th Feb, 2008 at 10:03am:
Hello!
well, really, was not a "selfish myself" idea of a WIP section! It  will just be great to know what everyone is working on... but right there is already this "chatter section"  here... Cheesy
I'm not a very selfish person as I feel I'm just the youg apprendice here...  what you see is just what I learnt from all the massively talented people like you that just happen to be part of this very friendly comunity..
KUDOS to all!  Cool

Excuse my warped sense of humour, because I'm so used to it by now I forget that others may not be... Cheesy

Please do not misunderstand, I wasn't implying selfishness on the part of anyone apart from ME!!!

I think what you are saying is a great idea and I love seeing how others workaround their problems, I wouldn't have the few clues I do have about any of this otherwise.

So I think a dedicated WIP place is important.  The reasons I don't think they have worked to well so far are outlined in my previous post and if we can get the ball rolling on our own PERSONAL, WIP threads I think we can encourage many others to do the same.  And benefit more from each others experience.

So I'd love to see everyone's WIP thread and being as WE now have this lovely little 'pub' it seems a good place away from the main workings of the rest of the site.

So fire away, start a new thread, so if folk wan't to see what Bill, Bill, Felix, Joanvalley, Mario, Jonbouy, Nextlevel, Paco, Stephen, jgoldman, jimslost, Dennis S, Gerard H (WHEN he comes back) ... etc,etc,etc,etc, are up to without having to wade through a 20 page thread WE will only have to click on their OWN WIP thread... Cool

...It sounds simple.... but will it work?

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 11th Feb, 2008 at 11:11am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

IT will work - IFF we take a solemn vow not to insert our own WIPs into other's threads!

Basically, my idea of a WIP area is not merely to showcase someone's "work", but rather to see how that project goes from conception to release, and how a modeller faces a problem and solves it.

That was the main reasoning behind the Pietenpol Camper board.   We could see how the model progressed, the details that went into it, etc.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 11th Feb, 2008 at 11:27am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Quote:
IT will work - IFF we take a solemn vow not to insert our own WIPs into other's threads!

Basically, my idea of a WIP area is not merely to showcase someone's "work", but rather to see how that project goes from conception to release, and how a modeller faces a problem and solves it.

That was the main reasoning behind the Pietenpol Camper board.   We could see how the model progressed, the details that went into it, etc.

Good points, well made...

And I'm sure there will be as many ingenious ways of presenting a WIP thread to be helpful and informative as there are in making a nose wheel assembly. Some of which, of course, we will not have seen yet... Cool

I've taken the oath. And will incorporate those ideas into my WIP's, except when I have to resort to a 'kludge' of course.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 12th Feb, 2008 at 8:33am

mariopilot   Offline
Fly to Live, Live to Fly
Carasco, Italy, Genova

Just exactly what I menat... the focus point seems to be the same as adopted in AVSim screenies forum.. no images on follow-up posts to avoid clogging people's PC... Grin expecially if you live in Italy and the internet service is clogged by its own... Cry

Mariopilot
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 12th Feb, 2008 at 12:55pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Cool

Yay, I'll kick-off by re-doing my thread following those guidelines, and renaming this one. I've also updated the first post of this thread to incorporate the guidlines.

After all as the British comedian Al Murray a.k.a. as 'The Pub Landord' says;

Q: "Where would we be without any rules?......."

A: "France".... Grin
« Last Edit: 12th Feb, 2008 at 2:12pm by jonbouy »  

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 12th Feb, 2008 at 5:36pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Cool

Felix now has a dedicated area put up for them... Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print