Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
The Landlords Projects (Read 7405 times)
12th Feb, 2008 at 5:41pm

jonbouy   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Rye, England

The current collection on the pending bench.

The 'Jelly Bean' transport.

On another thread Mario dared someone to do this...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

...so sick puppy that I am, I did.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12th Feb, 2008 at 5:42pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Fairey Hendon

1930's bomber, whilst unsuccessful in itself introduced many 'new' features to be found in the later 'heavies' used in WW2.  The idea for the production of the model was an exercise in learning to do VC's and interior views, development has been hampered by lack of accurate information on the original and other things taking my interest.

Project Status: Stalled.

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12th Feb, 2008 at 5:43pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Jabiru J400

A freeware commission to produce a version of a French Flying Club's latest mount. The model incorporated many techniques outlined by mesh maestro Gerard van der Harst featured in tutorials here.  It also introduced me to gauge development as many of the required instruments were simply not available.  Also, as it is the need of the school for the simulation to fly accurately to the handling notes it has been a great vehicle to learn about the black art of MSFS flight dynamics.

Project Status: Late Beta testing

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 12th Feb, 2008 at 5:45pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Supermarine Spiteful

The idea is to produce a 'full tilt' racer version for FSX Acceleration, but it is hoped to derive a Seafang, late Mark Spitfire and Supermarine Attacker from the project.

Project Status: Early modelling. Start date Feb 1st 2008

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 12th Feb, 2008 at 5:46pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Druine/Rollason D31 Turbulent

Used by the nearby located Tiger Club (see here; Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) for 4 ship flying circus type routines. A VW powered light sport plane.

Project Status: Early modelling. Start date Feb 1st 2008

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 12th Feb, 2008 at 5:47pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

# 6

ATL 98 Carvair Version 2

A major rework of my debut model, which largely due to accurate flight dynamics provided for the aircraft by 'FSAviator' has become a source of many requests from virtual airline flyers and prop-liner devotees for an updated version.

Some technical manuals have become available via an expert authority on the aircraft so an FSX SDK specified version is getting underway.

Although there is access to some good ATL diagrams of the modifications to the tail the bulbous nose and the centre gear the best overall references for the airframe are for the DC4 itself, so the aim is to complete the DC4 airframe first and then do as accurate a conversion as possible from the ATL references and maybe generate an AI DC4 as a by-product.  No point in producing a full-blown DC4 as Jens already has that ground covered nicely. 

Project Status: Early Modelling start date 09 Feb 08

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 13th Feb, 2008 at 10:57pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Amazing work Jonbouy!

Just wondering if possibly you will do the regular airliner as well as the CarVair?  Reason I ask is that the Silver Wings has a huge following and they would probably eat that up in fast order.

I remember Paco was going to do a Convair (I think its called) with 4 turboprops.  Awesome engines he made...   I thought right then that they might be a big hit.

Nice work man!

Smiley

PS:  I like those wingtips on the Carvair!  Nice spline derived constructions!

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 15th Feb, 2008 at 7:44am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
I want axis-driven animations
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Great, Jon! I love any kind of airplanes having more than three and less than five propellers Smiley.

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 15th Feb, 2008 at 10:07am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Bill

Jens BK has a beautiful DC4 already which I actually enjoy immensely and is one of my favourites so I doubt I will progress the Airliner much more than a lean AI version if at all. But I'm toying with the Merlin engined Canadair version (is it an 'Argonaut'? I can't remember presently) in which case that may well be a full blown airliner. (Apparently Chuck has some spare 'Merlins' complete with nacelles lying about in his back yard. Remind me to pay him a visit...  Wink ).

But the 'Carvair' will be in its original passenger configuration with full 21 seat PAX cabin, as well as the stripped out later full cargo version.

I notice that FSAviator has updated the FDE's for the Carvair and DC4's which are available from Tom's Calclassic's site. The notoriously bad ground roll in FS9 has been taken into account in the new dynamics  so unsticking from stationary will be more pleasurable I think, I'm off to try them out.

Paco;

Yep, I love the sound of a quartet too but I'd forgotten about adding detail in the engine area has such big consequences to the poly count as everything gets multiplied by 4...  Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 15th Feb, 2008 at 10:21am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Yup, but remember if you're modelling for FSX that the poly count isn't that important anymore according to the valuable info posted by Fr. Bill among others. Draw calls seem to be the resource to save on.

In other words: if I understood well, one detailed radial will cause same framerate drop as four, as long as they are exact clones (including geometry, texture and mapping).

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 15th Feb, 2008 at 4:04pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Merlins , i like the sound of that .. Paco is right about those pretty poly's being something worth splurging on, in fact
for FSX i have more faces made up as screwheads than i used to use on an object the size of a fuselage ... and they dont get welded by the compiler into limp lifeless vestiges of their erect form , all together a standup situation .
So go ahead blow your wad all over those little details...

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 20th Feb, 2008 at 12:41am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Yeah, I read the info, but I don't think I understood the full implications, apart from the draw calls. So what your saying if I spend 10k triangles on the just one radial engine for FSX the rest will be cloned ? Is there something I should do to make that happen, like in naming the parts like lav_dump_valve_00, lav_dump_valve_01....etc, etc?

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 20th Feb, 2008 at 4:02am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

John, theoretically (if I understood well), if all four engines are exact clones, they should have the same framerate impact as being only one. But also remember that in FSX you can make extensive use of the new texture tecnhiques to make the engines look like ultra-detailed (now you have bump-mapping that can very accurately depict cooling fins without the need of modelling them, for example; same as every other nut and bolt. You also have a specular map to differentiate between parts of the engine made up of different materials -metallic, painted-).

If you choose to go for a detailed mapping, then what I'd do is to model just one engine, texture it, and once you're fully satisfied, clone the other three (cloning before texturing will not work, unless you compy/paste the UVW unwarp modifier from the first to the other three).

What I've done for the B-17 is to build one detailed engine in max, render it and then use this bitmap for texturing the four radials which are rather simple. It works if not seen from very, very close; but normally when getting that close the engines are already out of the viewable area.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 20th Feb, 2008 at 6:40am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Naming conventions no longer count for much more than a way to keep track of what a part is, in your case the cowl flaps, three prop nodes and the prop pitch nodes all can be animated but as all animation manager assignments are different for each engine the parts should only be tagged after they are cloned .

The Advantage in following the "old" naming convention to the letter is if you plan to build a model for passage through
makemodel with standard materials for FS9 release as well, but i admit to not bothering with names anymore and  end up with a number of lines , boxes , mesh and objects and make more use of selection lists than i used to.....Piss on FS9Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 20th Feb, 2008 at 9:05am

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Cool, so just cloning the textured duplicate part is the way to go, which is what I do for FS9 anyways, the engines, cowlings and prop assemblies ARE identical, Cowl Flaps forward, on all four engines, and then the nacelles are just two pairs, inner and outer (Mirrored).  So really making an individual cylinder / push-rod cover assembly texturing that and cloning them radially via arrays is gonna have the same cloned instance effect in the sim... Cool

I've got to grips with the freedom of naming and just use conventional part names for backward compatibility, but its great being able to name a part now actually that means something to Me, like 'discombobulater_00', 'discombobulater_01' or even 'discombobulater_w_lav_dump_valve ---  Wink

I can't wait to apply all the Mats' as I've even got diagrams showing all the skin panels (rivet counters beware!!!), and doing the DC3 Max > gMax conversion has given me an intimate closeness with the procedures, and I can actually bake some 'Ambient Occlusion' now, without it taking 3 days, only to find I have to adjust the settings!!!

<---- One Happy Bunny... Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 20th Feb, 2008 at 7:48pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Quote:
.....Piss on FS9[img]

Huh

Naughy naughty Chuck....    FS9 used to be a good friend of yours, didnt it?  Taught you alot....  Get that grimmace off your face...!

Also..   If we name parts on an engine things such as 'cylinder 128' for sparkplug 7, or cylinder 44 for flywheel, box 143 is of course a carburetor, then when we go to edit parts, it will be much more 'fun' to try to remember which cylinder, box, and spline/line is what.  (Names are always a good thing, especially if on a team and someone else takes the ball for mapping textures, etc).

Note on cloning an entire engine assembly.  Link all of its parts to the engine block or crankshalft.  Then you can move them all in one faile swoop, (what ever that means).  Also, if you clone them via Edit/Clone (on top 'worded' toolbar), then the parts of the engine maintain all their centers and Gizmo locations and angles.  If though you select all of your engine and hold Shift down and with mouse, 'slide' a copy out of that one, then all Gizmos will relocate to the 'mass center' of the cluster, making it difficult for future editing of parts.

And of course, linking..   I think linking is still a good thing.  Why not.  Such as with engines, keeps it easy to locate parts on an assembly.  Not everything has to be linked now, thank goodness, but somethings are good to be linked...   (pilot parts, so you can hide all of him, panel and its face parts, so you can hide that, move it, etc).

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 21st Feb, 2008 at 5:39am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

... Thats a "Smirk" FYI ... FS9 had been officially depreciated by MS .....i am following company policy Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register... and using Grolsch to do it...

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 21st Feb, 2008 at 12:18pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

That's great news! The more that other's abandon FS9 development, the more I make!  Cool

Thank God Ron & Eaglesoft didn't abandon FS9 completely, as I just received a check 3x more than usual for last month's sales, most of which came from my Citation II Expansion Pack for the original FS9 release...  Grin

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 21st Feb, 2008 at 2:55pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I operate with complete abandon

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 21st Feb, 2008 at 3:58pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Jodry, you're barred...  Grin

But hang on one minute aren't you overlooking one important thing? .... FSX is PANTS!!!  Roll Eyes

I fly around my locality and it looks like the Sahara, rather than the Garden of England, it flickers, jerks, crashes, by the time it's finished loading, I'm bored and go off and do something else anyway, autogen is so random it's unusable which is a bonus really as it also slows everything down to treacle running through a hose pipe and the pilots may blink but nothing flies any better.

But......... the visuals are stunning.

I'll put my tuppence in the charity box on the way out...  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 21st Feb, 2008 at 5:46pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

jonbouy wrote on 21st Feb, 2008 at 3:58pm:
Jodry, you're barred...  Grin

But hang on one minute aren't you overlooking one important thing? .... FSX is PANTS!!!  Roll Eyes

I fly around my locality and it looks like the Sahara, rather than the Garden of England, it flickers, jerks, crashes, by the time it's finished loading, I'm bored and go off and do something else anyway, autogen is so random it's unusable which is a bonus really as it also slows everything down to treacle running through a hose pipe and the pilots may blink but nothing flies any better.

But......... the visuals are stunning.

I'll put my tuppence in the charity box on the way out...  Wink

I must admist that the scenery (which is a major component to simming) is just not there in FSX.  When I got FS9, the scenery that came with it was amazing.  I remember flying for a week in the Cessna Caravan over the rockies, then another month in Alaska.  Why?  Just looking at the amazing mountains.  They were stunning.....    In FSX, its like some have a stripe over them with grass, and to each side is desert.  (Check the mountain at my home airport, just west of KDVT.  It has a golf course going over the top of it.  When I saw that in my flight after installing my newest graphics card, I shut of FSX and booted up FS9.  Truth).

But.....   The beauty of freedom is freedom of choice.  I happen to like FS9 more then FSX.  But thats me and I am glad that others are quite happy with FSX.  I will continue to support FS9 for a while. 

Fr. Bill, I am only supporting FS9 presently and 'officially'.  Sales are quite good, (thank the Lord).  I dont think its wise 'yet' to abandon FS9 projects.  If you can easily flip a model from one to the other, you have two complete markets instead of one.

......................and no.  I do not hate FSX.  I dont care for its terrain nor high use of resources.  I love;
*  Car traffic and ship traffic
*  The Compiler
*  The 'look around feature'
*  Head Latency
*  Extreme real time rendering of materials such as reflections, chrome, and the oceans waves
*  The lower limit of Vertice distances for smaller parts making in the VC

But the terrain isnt finished and I see that the team have already abandoned updates, so I guess its done...   

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 21st Feb, 2008 at 6:41pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I dont remember being blown away with FS9 "RTM" once i had replaced my ground textures , clouds , Airport Environment and autogen  textures, envronment map , sun and moon corona , sundown and sun up sky textures...
oh ya my nordic tree collection .... Git My Drift ?

So far my complaints were limited to the ground textures , they are all replaced ... every other scenery element
is an improvement... and if i dont like it ...well i can get it to vaporise leaving a smoldering rubble ... a few clicks in the missions editor and switch to the Lancaster MKIII and load an Earthquake bomb ... poof end of story

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 21st Feb, 2008 at 9:33pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Grin Grin Grin

...tis true.

It's only since I add VFR photo scenery England and Wales and VFR Terrain mesh that home started to look like home, before then believe it or not it looked like ...erm... the Sahara.

However when I unwrapped '98 I went... Oh WOW!, 2000 Oh WOW!, 2k2 Oh WOW!, FS9 Oh WOW!

Unwrapping FSX I went.....Oh... Lips Sealed

I do love the SDK though... Cool

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 21st Feb, 2008 at 10:20pm

lionheart   Offline
Phoenix Arizona

Quote:
... and if i dont like it ...well i can get it to vaporise leaving a smoldering rubble ... a few clicks in the missions editor and switch to the Lancaster MKIII and load an Earthquake bomb ... poof end of story

Chuck

lololol....   Grin

What you need with that is a scenery bomb crater mesh that appears where the bomb goes off and it stays there for 6 months then 'auto-disappears'.

Wink

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 22nd Feb, 2008 at 9:04am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

lionheart wrote on 21st Feb, 2008 at 10:20pm:
Quote:
... and if i dont like it ...well i can get it to vaporise leaving a smoldering rubble ... a few clicks in the missions editor and switch to the Lancaster MKIII and load an Earthquake bomb ... poof end of story

Chuck

lololol....   Grin

What you need with that is a scenery bomb crater mesh that appears where the bomb goes off and it stays there for 6 months then 'auto-disappears'.

Wink

<groan>  There you go again, giving Chuck more ideas!

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #25 - 22nd Feb, 2008 at 4:01pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Quote:
<groan>  There you go again, giving Chuck more ideas!

You just know its happening right now, even if you couldn't hear the hammering and sawing coming from 'Le Crottoire'... Wink

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 22nd Feb, 2008 at 4:22pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

You must have ESP....

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 22nd Feb, 2008 at 5:23pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

jonbouy wrote on 22nd Feb, 2008 at 4:01pm:

You just know its happening right now, even if you couldn't hear the hammering and sawing coming from 'Le Crottoire'... Wink
[/quote]

errr.... in the "Crottoire" those aren't "hammering and sawing" sounds....   (Chuck - do you remember what you ate last night?)

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #28 - 22nd Feb, 2008 at 5:31pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

I seem to be getting a bum rap...

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 22nd Feb, 2008 at 7:33pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

I guess that means you're down in the dumps now?

IP Logged

Reply #30 - 22nd Feb, 2008 at 11:42pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
I seem to be getting a bum rap...

All that time in "Le Crottoire," that would be a raw bum...  Grin

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print