Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
[WIP] Do-328 (Read 20600 times)
26th Mar, 2008 at 6:13pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Hi everyone!

I am Björn and I like to push innocent vertices around...

And this is what I'm working on:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I thought I could feel confident after having finally finished the basic exterior stuff, but you guys make me question my abilities by presenting all your excellent and skillful work.  Embarrassed Tongue Cheesy

Sorry for the frakked up normals, must have happend while joining all the parts together with the attach tool.

Anyways, what you can see here will (someday) be a FSX Do-328, featuring a VC and all the usual FSX texture features.
Once the prop version is finished, I'm going to do the 328JET (which fortunately won't be that much work).

Still, I'm quite proud of myself already for having made it this far!  Cheesy

Björn

P.S: Hi, Felix and hi, Lionheart! Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 26th Mar, 2008 at 7:25pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Oh, nice work so far!  I'm glad you're doing the DO328T, 'cause I've been working on the DO328J for several years now... Wink

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 27th Mar, 2008 at 1:11pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Thanks, Bill!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 22nd May, 2008 at 8:33pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

*Bump*

Not much progress on the first look, but I've spent a good amount of hours (after a long pause due to a move and uni related work) refining the exterior and reworking some areas.

Next up before mirroring: Cutting out flaps, ailerons, spoilers, elevators, the main gear doors and adding some details.

She's coming along...surely but nicely.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 23rd May, 2008 at 4:31am

mariopilot   Offline
Fly to Live, Live to Fly
Carasco, Italy, Genova

woo-hooo!
good craftmanship mate!
it looks awesome! Shocked

Mariopilot
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 23rd May, 2008 at 6:56am

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Thanks, Mario! Very much appreciated!  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 20th Jul, 2008 at 9:53pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

*Bump*

Didn't have time for Donnie the last two months, but it's summer break now and I hope to get some big chunks of work done on her/him/it.
I've spent the last three days doing the control surfaces.

The angles are purely hypothetical, since I couldn't find any data on the maximum angles of the 328's control surfaces.
(Do you have some information on that, Fr.Bill? And I need some more information regarding the 328, more specifically about the spoilers. Can I drop you an e-mail in the next few days?)

Also, I've improved the wings a bit and moved and stretched the engine to better correspond with reference photographs.

Next up is the main gear and gearbay.

- Edit: Sorry for the blocky appearance. 3DS Max likes to mess up normals when you attach one object to another.

- Edit #2: I can't believe you can actually do some modeling on a 14.1" notebook screen.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 20th Jul, 2008 at 11:17pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Hint: Remove all smoothing before Attaching new parts. Then add back smoothing if desired.

My sources give me 60º for the main speedbrakes, and 50º max deflection for the outboard spoilerons.

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 21st Jul, 2008 at 2:29am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Quote:
Hint: Remove all smoothing before Attaching new parts. Then add back smoothing if desired.

I know this isn't really the place to ask, Bill. But. Why?

SORRY  BJOERN!

Be happy! Life's too short not to be!

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 21st Jul, 2008 at 2:49am

mariopilot   Offline
Fly to Live, Live to Fly
Carasco, Italy, Genova

Still no control surface angles here, but it may prove useful (data type certificates always proved useful for me)

Cheesy

Mariopilot
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 21st Jul, 2008 at 2:43pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Bill: Does unifying normals count as smoothing? And I second mark on that "Why?".

Mark: No problem.

Mario: Thanks for the link. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 21st Jul, 2008 at 4:46pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Mark958 wrote on 21st Jul, 2008 at 2:29am:
Quote:

I know this isn't really the place to ask, Bill. But. Why?

SORRY  BJOERN!

Removing the Smoothing Groups prior to Attaching will allow the newly Attached object to "inherit" the normal orientation of the parent part.

Then, when you add Smoothing Groups back to the combined mesh, the normals be be properly smoothed again (fewer potential "shadow problems")...  Cool

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 21st Jul, 2008 at 4:47pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Björn wrote on 21st Jul, 2008 at 2:43pm:
Bill: Does unifying normals count as smoothing? And I second mark on that "Why?".

Mark: No problem.

Mario: Thanks for the link. Smiley

No. I'm referring ONLY to "Smoothing Groups"... The purpose of which is explained in my previous reply above. It will allow attached mesh to inherit the normal orientation of the parent.

BTW, if you haven't already looked, here are some WIP's of our DO328J in the sim:

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 23rd Jul, 2008 at 1:25pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Quote:
BTW, if you haven't already looked, here are some WIP's of our DO328J in the sim:

Nice "Please Log In" screen. Wink

Sorry, Bill. I'm not much of a fan of forum accounts only serving to view pictures, so I'll pass on that one.  Lips Sealed Smiley
Are those pictures brand new ones or did you already post them in another thread right here?
And I'm sure everything on that -300 looks way better than anything on mine. Grin

Thanks for the smoothing explanations. I've never worked with smoothing groups before though, so I'll need to experiment a bit.

Mario, that document is very helpful. I finally found out that the maximum flap angle is 32° and that I won't need to do a -100, just a -110 to -130.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 24th Jul, 2008 at 12:16pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Björn wrote on 23rd Jul, 2008 at 1:25pm:
Nice "Please Log In" screen. Wink

Sorry, Bill. I'm not much of a fan of forum accounts only serving to view pictures, so I'll pass on that one.  Lips Sealed Smiley
Are those pictures brand new ones or did you already post them in another thread right here?
And I'm sure everything on that -300 looks way better than anything on mine. Grin

Sorry. I had tried to edit the post to provide direct links, but the forum's hosting service suddenly went into stealth mode and I lost my edits...

Yes, they are the same as previously posted, so you didn't miss anything. I've got the project on hold until the gauge coding is completed. I cannot finish the VC until all the gauges are completed.  Shocked

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print