Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
[WIP] Do-328 (Read 20611 times)
Reply #30 - 5th May, 2009 at 10:43am

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
I slowly but surely start hating this "UVW Unwrap" stuff.  Lips Sealed

Without any question whatever, you are definitely not using UVW Unwrap correctly... Shocked

When in the UVW Unwrap Editor, you should NOT be adjusting individual vertex points. The only thing you should be doing there is adjusting entire sets of vertices for their position on the template.

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #31 - 5th May, 2009 at 6:06pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Except for any stray edges, I'm just using the Freeform modifier to adjust the entire

Select the Polys I want to map, put in a "UVW map" modifier, select "Mapping: Face" there, then put in "UVW Unwrap", load the bitmap in the editor, "Normal map" (left/right) the polys to get rid of that garbled mess, fix any loose edges and freeform all the polys/vertices/edges (as one big selection) on the texture.

I don't know what went wrong with the rudder though. It's basically symmetrical (in terms of polys) and still gives me two differently "distorted" groups of polygons, which are awfully hard to fit perfectly.

- Edit: The non-fitting squares are due to the texture. This is just a test texture to see if two sides of a symmetrical object are mapped well (perfect fit), NOT to check the whole model!

- Edit²: Never mind the rudder. Simply mirrored one mapped side and moved the freshly mirrored map to its new place. Perfect seams now.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #32 - 5th May, 2009 at 7:45pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Fixed rudder with one uniform map.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #33 - 5th May, 2009 at 7:59pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Looking better.  What I do is (re)attach the rudder, doors, etc. to the fuselage, UVW Map/UnWrap/Edit the mesh...

...then Select by Element the rudder, doors, etc. and Detach to their original names...

Then, and only then do I animate them...  Cool

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #34 - 6th May, 2009 at 8:24pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Thanks, you had me scared there a bit! Shocked  Cheesy

That attaching/reattaching thing is darn clever, this might save me a lot of work when mapping the wings (ailerons, flaps, spoilerons, speed brakes...). Thanks for the hint!

By the way: Can I leave some invisible parts of the mesh unmapped/untextured? Or is FSX going to complain about this?

IP Logged

Reply #35 - 7th May, 2009 at 12:23pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Well, if they are truly "invisible," why have them at all? OTOH, if there's a chance they might be seen from some angle, then they should have a texture assignment.

The exporter will b*tch and moan about untextured polygons.  The best thing is to Map & Texture every stinking polygon...

Hint: one thing you can do is give every polygon that you don't want to "paint in detail" a unique MatID number such as 99. You can then Select all polys with a MatID of 99 (Select by Material ID), add a single UVW Map, a UVW Unwrap modifier, and then use the UVW Editor to scale/place all the unwrapped mesh to one corner of your assigned texture sheet where you've placed a 20x20 pixel block of color, such as "aviation green primer" or such...  Grin

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #36 - 8th May, 2009 at 2:58pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Thanks for the "attach - deattach" hint, Bill!

I redid the fuselage and all doors yesterday (but forgot the rudder...but well, looked quite good anyways) and it worked like a charm! Well, except for destroying preexisting animations, of course. But thanks to backups, the keys could be restored (almost) a jiffy. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 8th May, 2009 at 6:50pm

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

The way I've found to preserve animations/axis of rotation when I need to map or remap is to select the part, detach ALL the polygons and then attach the polygons to the fuselage or whatever I'm mapping.  After mapping, select the polys and then detach as as some object, then select the original part using the "Select by Name" window.  Reattach the polys and voila!  You have preserved both the animations as well as the rotational axis.

&&
My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma
IP Logged

Reply #38 - 8th May, 2009 at 7:54pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

That technique does work quite well for re-mapping... Thanks for mentioning in here as I'm sure it will be useful in the future.  Cool

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #39 - 9th May, 2009 at 2:07pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Thanks, Travis! This makes that technique even better!  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #40 - 27th Nov, 2009 at 3:02pm

Southwest   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Some impressive work there Björn, have been long awaiting a model of a Do328 for some time.  Please let me know if you need any last minute images of the bird (real life) - I certainly have a fair few !
« Last Edit: 27th Nov, 2009 at 5:17pm by Southwest »  
IP Logged

Reply #41 - 30th Nov, 2009 at 7:34pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Southwest wrote on 27th Nov, 2009 at 3:02pm:
Please let me know if you need any last minute images of the bird (real life) - I certainly have a fair few !

I'll get back to that, should the need arise. Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #42 - 12th Dec, 2009 at 8:03am

Southwest   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Have you had anymore success with the textures Bjorn ?

IP Logged

Reply #43 - 12th Dec, 2009 at 2:18pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Haven't spent a single second on the model ever since.

Lacking the motivation to go on at the moment.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - 13th Dec, 2009 at 6:35am

Southwest   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Shame to hear that Bjorn, was looking forward to your model !  Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print