Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
[WIP] Do-328 (Read 20367 times)
Reply #60 - 25th Mar, 2010 at 12:53pm

Southwest   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Real nice work Bjorn, good to see you got it in sim now.

IP Logged

Reply #61 - 30th Apr, 2010 at 12:14am

Eduardo Fadul   Offline
Spline Extruder
Live to Fly, Fly to Live
Bogotá, Colombia

wow great work i want to fly this bird with the Satena's scheme, if u need help for this liveries just told me  Grin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Regards

Aeronautical Engineer
MSc (c) Mechanical Engineer}
Aeronautical technician

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #62 - 30th Apr, 2010 at 11:58am

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Quote:
wow great work i want to fly this bird with the Satena's scheme, if u need help for this liveries just told me  Grin

A (user friendly) paint kit will be provided, so paint away. Wink

I'm more a friend of the european and (ex-)US users of the 328, yet I'm still not sure if I want to paint her at all. Maybe just the "lazy man's" liveries, like Piedmont (US Airways Express) and Cirrus airways.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #63 - 15th Jun, 2010 at 1:05pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Recent pics:

Showing off the decals (a clone of the polies in the area with a transparent texture (except for what's drawn on it) - see number, rivets, excape hatch)

I've still got problems with the rudder spring tab 'though. It just won't center if there's no rudder input.

Here's the XML code:
Code:
<PartInfo>
        <Name>rudder_spring_tab</Name>
        <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
        <Animation>
            <Parameter>
               <Code>                    
                  (A:AIRSPEED TRUE, knots) 160 &lt;
                 if{ (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) } els{ 50 }
               </Code>
            </Parameter>
        </Animation>
</PartInfo> 

Other than that, I'm nearly done with the exterior.  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #64 - 15th Jun, 2010 at 7:36pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

The tab will only center if you are flying FASTER than 160 kias...

Isn't that backwards?

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #65 - 16th Jun, 2010 at 1:14am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

That looks great Bjorn!

Be happy! Life's too short not to be!

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #66 - 16th Jun, 2010 at 7:52am

Southwest   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Simply stunning!

IP Logged

Reply #67 - 16th Jun, 2010 at 10:20am

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Quote:
The tab will only center if you are flying FASTER than 160 kias...

Isn't that backwards?

Well, it's supposed to ONLY WORK BELOW 160 KIAS and stay centered otherwise.

IP Logged

Reply #68 - 18th Jun, 2010 at 4:03am

Willem   Offline
LDV Engineer
Gmax... can't live with
it, can't live without
it.
Netherlands

As far as i know a spring tab is there to assist the pilot in moving the control surface when the aerodynamic forces are getting higher (ie flying faster) and the surface is getting harder to move. This is especially true with mechanical control systems, with cables, pulleys and rods only.

On hydraulic control systems this is not an issue because there you don't move the surfaces themselves but rather a servo valve which in turn operates a hydraulic actuator and that moves the surface, during normal hydraulic operation of course. In fact in hydraulic flight control systems many times you will find some form of bungee system which is used to give the pilots artifical feel.
But this has nothing to do with spring tabs...so back on topic  Roll Eyes

So that means that at lower speeds the tab should stay centered and at higher speeds it should deflect - in the opposite direction of the main control surface (this causes aerodynamic forces to operate on the control surface and help push it in the right direction).
Also it is a proportional deflection, in other words the harder the main surface can be moved, the more deflection the tab will give (up to a certain maximum of course).

This is the way it works on an F27 and Fokker 50 anyway, by means of a torsion bar which is located in the root of the aileron.
On ground when you move the ailerons on these aircraft, they deflect normally and the spring tabs remain in line with the ailerons. If one holds the aileron in position and another person would move the control wheel, you are already able to see the deflection of the spring tab.

So maybe you can take this into consideration.

Otherwise, a very nice piece of work!

grt
Willem.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - 18th Jun, 2010 at 4:46pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

The tab on the 328 doesn't work that way. It moves below 160 KIAS and stays locked above to prevent any potential overstressing of the rudder assembly by excessive deflection. See Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for an example of how wrong application of rudder can lead to disaster.

I don't know if this accident had anything to do with it and how Dornier implemented it exactly but I know that the -130 version of the 328 features a mechanism that makes moving the rudder at higher speeds harder.

So all I really want is that effin' tab to move below 160 KIAS and doing nothing at any higher speed.

P.S: For easing roll movements, the 328 has roll spoilers.

IP Logged

Reply #70 - 19th Jun, 2010 at 4:14am

Willem   Offline
LDV Engineer
Gmax... can't live with
it, can't live without
it.
Netherlands

Okay.
Code:
<Code>                    
               </Code> 

It says here that the animation must be (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) if the airspeed is less than 160 knots in other words it deflects with the same value as (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) in that case, and if the airspeed is not less than 160 the value is 50.
So that is the other way around from what you want.
Changing the &lt; into &gt; should fix this.

You should also check what value range (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) returns. if it is between 0-100 (percent) and you have animated the tab accordingly, it should work. But i read somewhere that these variables sometimes also return a value between 0-1, in which case your tab would be virtually stuck to one side if animated between 0-100 keyframes.

Hope this helps.

grt
Willem.

ps your system is something in the line of a so-called rudder limiter, which limits the travel of the rudder above certain speeds. This to prevent overstressing the airframe...
i guess the Airbus showed that even that is not a guarantee that a pilot can't wreck the aircraft when it gets abused.

IP Logged

Reply #71 - 19th Jun, 2010 at 11:49am

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Willem wrote on 19th Jun, 2010 at 4:14am:
Okay.
Code:
<Code>                    
               </Code> 

It says here that the animation must be (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) if the airspeed is less than 160 knots in other words it deflects with the same value as (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) in that case, and if the airspeed is not less than 160 the value is 50.
So that is the other way around from what you want.
Changing the &lt; into &gt; should fix this.

Aha. Doesn't make any sense to me (could it be that XML has the most illogical code syntax ever conceived?) but okay, I'll try that.

Quote:
You should also check what value range (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) returns. if it is between 0-100 (percent) and you have animated the tab accordingly, it should work. But i read somewhere that these variables sometimes also return a value between 0-1, in which case your tab would be virtually stuck to one side if animated between 0-100 keyframes.

Bill Leaming posted instructions for a "aircraft variable readout" gauge to put into panels over at FSDeveloper. I'll give that a try to determine the output range of "Rudder Deflection Pct".

Quote:
ps your system is something in the line of a so-called rudder limiter, which limits the travel of the rudder above certain speeds. This to prevent overstressing the airframe...
i guess the Airbus showed that even that is not a guarantee that a pilot can't wreck the aircraft when it gets abused.

Yeah. Technology doesn't necessarily always raise safety.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - 19th Jun, 2010 at 2:26pm

Mathias   Offline
Spline Extruder
Jau!
Germany

That code will do nothing because you have an A:Variable (which is read-only) in the if-statement  but no L: or K: that would trigger a command of sorts.
The if statement is also missing the value. The els statement doesn't make sense either, 50 what?
So without reading through the complete post, you want to let the springtab move when airspeed is below 160knots and rudder deflection is at 50 percent or higher? Is that correct?

Mathias&&
IP Logged

Reply #73 - 19th Jun, 2010 at 4:01pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

Mathias wrote on 19th Jun, 2010 at 2:26pm:
So without reading through the complete post, you want to let the springtab move when airspeed is below 160knots and rudder deflection is at 50 percent or higher? Is that correct?

Nooooo!

If [ (TAS) < 160 KIAS ] then [spring tab moving with rudder input] else [centered]

As I said: XML does not make any sense syntax-wise! It's like bavarian!  Sad

IP Logged

Reply #74 - 19th Jun, 2010 at 4:39pm

Mathias   Offline
Spline Extruder
Jau!
Germany

Ah ok, that simple.
Do you want the tab to actually "trim" the aircraft or do you just want the visuals?

Mathias&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print