Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is there a perfect 3View??? (Read 1397 times)
15th Apr, 2008 at 12:43pm

lionheart   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Phoenix Arizona

Hey guys,

Dang..   Another one..  

Hours of hunting down 3 Views and photos..   Find 2 3-Views online..   One is brilliant.  I set it its canvass size to pure square (not changing its art height and width, just adding area 'around' it to make the outer dimension pure square overall).  I set up my dimensions box, and the thing doesnt have one thing that matches the other, lol.....

With Left view being my base dimension, the front view is too short and the top view too wide and short...  

AKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

Shocked    Undecided

When I was a draftsman back in the days when we used pens, pencils, powered erasors, vellum, rulers....      we would actually measured things out.  But in the past several years, I have found only a couple of 3-Views that literally lined up properly.  Its like artists are doing this things and just go by what they think looks right.  (Ruler...   oh, the straight thingie for making lines..   why do they put all those numbers on it??)

Grin

ok..  venting over.    Wink

Bill

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 15th Apr, 2008 at 12:54pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

I have a second verse for your lament over skills lost...

typesetting.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 15th Apr, 2008 at 2:53pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

That's why they're not "3-views" anymore - just "General Arrangement" drawings..  Smiley

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 15th Apr, 2008 at 5:57pm

jonbouy   Offline
Rye, England

Ain't it great that there's a place we can go and vent... Cool

I think part of the problems is to do with aspect ratios inherent in bitmap files and that pixels are not usually square. It's the only thing that I can think of that could be the cause of so much 'bad' drawing.

When I learned fundamental technical drawing at school you just carried the width and heights up and across each of the orthographic views so you couldn't go wrong. And I'm sure something must be amiss for there to be so many bad examples.

I have taken to getting hold of Autocad .dxf drawings where available which do seem to suffer less but even Jaap's lovely DC4 reference that I'm using currently suffers some inconsistencies probably from the references he used. Hell even some of the actual technical repair manual scans I'm using seem to be approximations so much so I'm a bit worried now when a plane passes overhead that something is gonna come flying off because it didn't butt up properly... Shocked

And as for John's lament sadly we have Desktop Publishing to thank for that and typefaces that were carefully refined by artists over centuries to create the most legibility and impact all of a sudden could be stretched, condensed, flattened, skewed and curved, not only that any aesthetically challenged hoon could undertake to fit 99 different fonts into one sheet of A4. Gone were the days when you had to serve a lengthy apprenticeship before you could merely bring the tea urn into the setting room.  Fortunately in that area it does seems that good taste is actually making something of a slow comeback.

Jonbouy&&Pro. Loudmouth - Amateur Spline Bender&&&&Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+, 1024Mb 667mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150se onboard nForce 430, 160mb SATA Total, XP Pro SP2
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 16th Apr, 2008 at 4:12am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
I want axis-driven animations
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

I once made this test: draw a circle in PSP, then take a ruler and measure it on screen in the vertical and horizontal directions. In none of my CRT monitors they matched. Only in one of the LCD monitors they do. That might also be a reason

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print