Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GMax Tutorials and Exercises for the Beginning Mod (Read 8097 times)
1st Jul, 2008 at 7:34am

Chuck Jodry   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
visible in range

Milton Shupe consolidated a "How To" thread into an essay on the fine art of model production using a C162,
done with the novice in mind its a comprehensive tutorial done with Uncle Miltons legendary attention to detail and just the right level of complexity to get the message across without sensory overload resulting in reduced brain fps due to confusion.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Kudo's to all involved , and most especially to Materfamilias Milton for his guidance and commitment .

New Tutuorial: 2008-07-20
Here is another tutorial that addresses attaching wings to the fuselage for better smoothing and light effects.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

-------------------------------------------------------
Edit: 2008-07-20  
- Title change to first post/thread subject (to match the SOH thread)
- Added (ok, plagiarized the text from Milton's SOH post) reference/link to wings tutorial.

Edit: 2008-07-23 FJR
- Corrected  wing tutorial link

« Last Edit: 24th Jul, 2008 at 12:14am by Felix/FFDS »  

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 2nd Jul, 2008 at 12:45am

Milton   Offline
Props forever!

Thanks Chuck for the kind words.  I run into a lot of comments from guys who wish they could design, tried it but were overwhelmed with gmax, got started but then frustrated, soon quit.

The objective was to do this in the simplest possible terms, use lots of screenshots for the very basics, and get them to overcome the frustrations while showing a few basic techniques to complete a model.

Several said it helped them tremendously to finally overcome the obstacles, and they were moving forward now with confidence.

While most here might criticize the basic techniques used as too cumbersome or slow, when just starting the learning curve the basics are very important to gain confidence and expose them simple processes that can yield success.  The other methods and tools then can come more easily with an open mind.

All the things we take for granted today we once struggled with and going back to those crude basics can be the answer for many getting started.  And even at that level, we tend to forget they are struggling with basic differences and nomenclature of sub-object types.

As a retiring designer, I wanted to ensure that there was at least one person I could get started to fill the place I left open.  I hope that a few can benefit from it.

Milton Shupe&&Dash 7, Aero Commanders, Howard 500, D18S, Spartan 7W, A-26B/C,  XA38 Grizzly, DH-80A, AT-11, 427 Pinto Stock Car, The "Grumman Seven", Avia 51, 156, 56, 57
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 2nd Jul, 2008 at 2:15am

joanvalley   Offline
Spline Extruder
Mexicali, B. C., Mexico

Badly needed and so very welcome, THANKS Milton!

After this, I may start playing with "dreadful" gmax again...

Thanks for the tip Chuck,

Jose.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 9th Jul, 2008 at 9:33am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

A great gmax tutorial!
Something I have been looking for and needing for a long time. The information in it has showed me some things about making a model in gmax that I have been puzzling over for a very long time.  Cheesy

Thanks to all who put it together.

Mark

THANK YOU!

Be happy! Life's too short not to be!

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 9th Jul, 2008 at 1:07pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Milton wrote on 2nd Jul, 2008 at 12:45am:
As a retiring designer, I wanted to ensure that there was at least one person I could get started to fill the place I left open.  I hope that a few can benefit from it.

Milton - you may be "retiring" from active designing, but we all realize that what overshadows the models you have been involved with is the fact that you are willing to share your knowledge, and even more so, can share the knowlegde in such a manner that beginners (and let's admit it, quite a few 'seasoned' modellers) to the hobby can understand, learn and go forth.

I will say that over the years, this hobby has been graced by a number of people that not only are good modellers, but are even better teachers.

If there were to be a "best teacher" list, I'm quite sure that your name would be right up there ... (and of my top five, all of them frequent (or lurk) at FFDS   (okay, and most of the other major design forums ....)

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 11th Jul, 2008 at 10:54pm

Milton   Offline
Props forever!

Thank you Felix; that's very nice of you to say.

Today, I look up to, admire and appreciate the frequent contributors here helping to move the younger designers forward in the nuances of FSX ways.  You have always helped and encouraged others to contribute and share and that, sir, is very commendable.

Thanks to everyone here for keeping the design flame burning especially through these tough FSX iterations.

EDIT:  I am also curious if anyone has given thought to using Netmeeting or like tool for some online, interactive training sessions.  Seems like a quick way to get new designers up to speed on things like animation tools and mapping.

Milton Shupe&&Dash 7, Aero Commanders, Howard 500, D18S, Spartan 7W, A-26B/C,  XA38 Grizzly, DH-80A, AT-11, 427 Pinto Stock Car, The "Grumman Seven", Avia 51, 156, 56, 57
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 22nd Jul, 2008 at 9:52am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.

Quote:
New Tutuorial: 2008-07-20
Here is another tutorial that addresses attaching wings to the fuselage for better smoothing and light effects.

Hi Chuck.

I get a 404 Error on that link to the new tutorial for attaching wings. Sad

Can you please check that the link is correct/ok or not?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 23rd Jul, 2008 at 10:17pm

Milton   Offline
Props forever!

Try this one:

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 24th Jul, 2008 at 5:37am

Paco Sanchez   Offline
I want axis-driven animations
back NOW!!!
Vigo, Spain

Thanks again Milton!

It's nice to see how different methods for doing the same task are in the end based on very similar techniques... I do almost like you, but usually start from a wing without the fairing area, then do a clone of it enlarged and deformed to intersect the fuselage, do the boolean with this one; then build the fairing between the wing and these points created by the boolean cut. Same concept, different order.

Superb tutorial!

Paco.&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 27th Jul, 2008 at 3:52am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.

Thanks again. Milton.

A great tutorial!

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 27th Jul, 2008 at 2:04pm

Milton   Offline
Props forever!

Thanks guys ... I have just updated the main link to add basic mapping for beginning modelers shown at the bottom of the list.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 4th Aug, 2008 at 9:37am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.

Hi Milton.

Two things.

Firstly. I just wanted to tell you this. I had struggled so much with FSDS and had switched to gmax as I have found that some things are so much easier to do. A number of things had alluded me in gmax and this wonderful set of tutorials has allowed me to progress now.  Grin

Secondly. Textures will be a huge challenge as I a can't seem to get my head around it. I know that I will get there in the end though. I have downloaded the file c162basicmap.zip four or five times now, each time taking about an hour, and the result is always the same. I can't view the video (c162basicmap.avi) within. All the programs I have used to run it have not shown any content at all. No sound, no video. One time it even caused my computer to crash.  Cry
Can I ask you to check it out for me please? Or perhaps to tell me what program you use to view it?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 4th Aug, 2008 at 2:36pm

Milton   Offline
Props forever!

Mark,

I use Windows Media Player version 11 to view it.  There are no special plugins that I am aware of.  The video is an .avi file.  Ensure that you have set Media Player to open .avi files.

I do have the option to convert it to a .swf file for Shockwave if you cannot view it.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 4th Aug, 2008 at 7:16pm

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.

Milton wrote on 4th Aug, 2008 at 2:36pm:
I use Windows Media Player version 11 to view it.  There are no special plugins that I am aware of.  The video is an .avi file.  Ensure that you have set Media Player to open .avi files.

Milton.

I did have Windows Media Player 11 as the default program for opening .avi files. I was, however, getting some extra icons showing in the task bar (a red one with FFA, a blue one with FFE & one other one I can't remember) that had something to do with the K-Lite Codec Pack that I had installed on my computer. After removing the K-Lite Codec Pack I can now see the video perfectly.   Smiley

I must have changed some settings that made things worse instead of better.  Undecided

Thanks again.

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 4th Aug, 2008 at 7:33pm

Milton   Offline
Props forever!

That is great to hear Mark.  Let me know how it goes, please.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print