Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
A-37B DragonFly __ T-37B/C Tweet (Read 15213 times)
27th Aug, 2008 at 10:23pm

Eduardo Fadul   Offline
Spline Extruder
Live to Fly, Fly to Live
Bogotá, Colombia

Hi all

Now i'm working in the cessna A-37B DragonFly, this is like the 5 of 6 time that i try to make this plane, but this one will be the last one. This plane is my nemesis, i love this plane, that is why i never be happy with the progres so far and i deleted it  Tongue

I have a question that i would like to make.

* What is/are the difference between the A-37 and the T-37???? i mean with their shapes, no internal like engine Wink

Can some one give a hand with the FD????  Grin I can make the model, panel and textures, but the FD  Undecided

I want that this plane will be just perfect, the gem of the crown

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best Regards

Eduardo Fadul

Aeronautical Engineer
MSc (c) Mechanical Engineer}
Aeronautical technician

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 28th Aug, 2008 at 1:07am

jimslost   Offline
LDV Engineer
The more I learn, the
less I know

Ah, yes, the 6,500# dog whistle .... Smiley  As I recall, the biggest and most obvious external differences between the T-37 and the A-37 is that the latter had very large tip tanks and three or four hard points on each wing for external fuel tanks and ordinance.  I believe there was a pair of guns mounted in the nose as well.  I think googling the two types will bring more than enough pictures for you to get a good idea of what you need as both versions served for decades.

Except for the fact that they are jet powered (and I haven't done any work on jets myself), I would think the flight dynamics would be pretty straight forward as the plane didn't go fast enough to get into things like mach tuck or even compressability.  As you may already know, the T-37 was powered by a pair of centrifugal flow Continental engines which, when back at idle, took forever to spool up.  To prevent the student from killing himself by having no power response on approach, all landing approaches were flown with the speed brakes out.  As I recall (I'm digging back more than 36 years here), if the speed brakes were deployed and the gear was down, thrust attenuators also deployed into the exhaust stream of the engines reducing effective thrust.  All this extra drag and attenuated thrust required the pilot to carry about 70% rpm on the engines on approach which meant that if a go-around was required, thrust response would be quick and positive enough to keep the pilot from digging a permanent hole in the ground.  That means you get to build and animate the speedbrakes (no problem) and build and animate the thrust attenuators, which will probably require a custom made xml. 

One other FD note - the plane had "quirky" spin characteristics.  Spins tended to be relatively flat; to recover the pilot identified the direction of the spin, applied full opposite rudder, counted to three, then SLAMMED the stick to the forward stop and brought it back to approximately neutral.  This usually brought the plane out in perhaps half a turn.  However, a classmate on a dual ride made two unsuccessful attempts to recover from a spin, after which the instructor took the airplane and made his own unsuccessful attempt.  The IP ordered the student to bail out, but when the canopy blew that changed the airflow enough to pitch the nose down for a recovery.  They elected to fly back to base with the student on an armed ejection seat.  Scary stuff.

You will probably need expert help duplicating this spin, if you chose to do so.  Conventional spins elude me.

It looks as though you're off to a great start and I look forward to following your progress.

jim

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 11:06am

Eduardo Fadul   Offline
Spline Extruder
Live to Fly, Fly to Live
Bogotá, Colombia

Hi Jim

Thanks for your words. The stall was something that sometime a lot of time ago my cousin told me, he says that this plane is really capricious and hard to recover. I'm trying to find a A-37 and T-37 pilot to check the plane before i release it.

I'll have your note really present at the moment of try a FD  Wink

The plane now have its empennage and mustache Tongue

Best Regards

Aeronautical Engineer
Aeronautical technician

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 12:30pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Eduardo - don't forget the one-off BizJet version!!!

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 1:01pm

Eduardo Fadul   Offline
Spline Extruder
Live to Fly, Fly to Live
Bogotá, Colombia

Quote:
Eduardo - don't forget the one-off BizJet version!!!

BizJet  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh which one was that?????

Aeronautical Engineer
Aeronautical technician

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 1:06pm

Felipe   Offline
Spline Extruder
CYFD

le ta quedando bonito compa Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&S.O.P.A.S&&Seat Of the Pants Aero-Simulations
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 1:08pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 1:34pm

Eduardo Fadul   Offline
Spline Extruder
Live to Fly, Fly to Live
Bogotá, Colombia

Quote:

ta feo

its ugly

Aeronautical Engineer
Aeronautical technician

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 2:03pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Very interesting link there, Felix. Did you click on the About button and follow to this fellow's actual work?

Apparently he's the guy who has done the professional CAD work for Epic's Victory, Diamond's Eclipse, and Saffire's VLJ as well! Wink

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 2:40pm

Eduardo Fadul   Offline
Spline Extruder
Live to Fly, Fly to Live
Bogotá, Colombia

First approach to the wings, dont worry the fillets are coming Wink

Aeronautical Engineer
Aeronautical technician

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 3:29pm

Felipe   Offline
Spline Extruder
CYFD

Quote:

wayyyy ahead of its time... and everyone laughed at them :p modern day VLJ's gramps

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&S.O.P.A.S&&Seat Of the Pants Aero-Simulations
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 3:33pm

supersabre   Offline
Polygon Twister

aja compadre! menos mal que lo empezo a hacer!
si no lo hacia yo mismo!

let the 407 for me Tongue
if you don't do this ill make it after the 337 myself Tongue
chees tris! bro

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 3:51pm

Eduardo Fadul   Offline
Spline Extruder
Live to Fly, Fly to Live
Bogotá, Colombia

Quote:
Quote:

wayyyy ahead of its time... and everyone laughed at them :p modern day VLJ's gramps

Ugly plane, i prefer the new ones  Wink

supersabre wrote on 29th Aug, 2008 at 3:33pm:
aja compadre! menos mal que lo empezo a hacer!
si no lo hacia yo mismo!

let the 407 for me Tongue
if you don't do this ill make it after the 337 myself Tongue
chees tris! bro

Go ahead, you have the way completely, totally, entirely free for the 407  Grin

You know that i want a copy of your 337 with the Colombian Air Force colours  Smiley

Saludos

Aeronautical Engineer
Aeronautical technician

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 5:06pm

supersabre   Offline
Polygon Twister

Quote:
Can some one give a hand with the FD????

pue serr...

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 5:11pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Paisa, ¿pitaste?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print