Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Letter Home ... A MIP (Read 1712 times)
23rd Sep, 2008 at 11:14pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Ohio

I thought I'd wake things up here at 21CBP and start a thread about a MIP or Movie In Progress.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The FSX versions of the AT6D and Harvard Mk II are finally bumped-mapped and ready to go to market. (Thanks Paco  Cheesy)
I was thinking about making a promo video for the release. But instead of making the usual music video with wings I decided to take a totally different approach.

I have a letter that my Dad wrote to his Mom back in October 1942, when he was at the end of his training courses at #8 Service Flying Training School in Moncton, NB. (Canada)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This letter will provide the storyline for the video as it has quite a few references to flying the Harvard.

It also mentions flying in an Anson

While at the airport at Moncton last summer I took a photo of a picture that was hanging on a wall which shows what the field looked like in 1941. Quite different from what it looks like today.

So one of the first orders of business will be to dust off my copy of AFCAD2 and start re-building Moncton to make it look like it did in 1942.

I figure by the time this movie is finished I'll have used all the different FS disciplines with the exceptions of flight models and XML code.

I hope you all will enjoy the show.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 24th Sep, 2008 at 12:29am

foxwolfen   Offline
the less I think, the
more I am
Ottawa, Canada

I look forward to the progress. Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try." - Beast Boy&&&&Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2700mhz OC , ASUS P5E, 4GB OZC Hi-Perf PC6400 DDR2,  Nvidia 8800GTX 786MB GDDR3, 2 x Sata 3.0
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 26th Sep, 2008 at 8:55pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Here's this week's progress report.

Originally I was planning to use generic buildings for the control tower, but then I found this picture of the tower at the air base in Moncton, circa 1940.

So this is how the model looks in gmax

I originally thought this structure would be unique to Moncton, but today I found pictures of the other two bases mentioned in the letter, Charlottetown and Summerside, PEI and they also had the same kind of control tower. Since all three bases were built around the same time, it's not surprising that they'd all use the same set of plans.

It's amazing what can be found on the internet, but there's nothing quite like having family photo albums. My Dad wasn't the only one with stories to tell. These photos came from my Mom's scrapbook. She also was in the RCAF and stationed at Rockcliffe, near Ottawa. Apparently a Blenheim got loose and poked it's nose into a window right next to my Mom's office.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 1st Oct, 2008 at 10:45pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

FS9 has the better tools for movie making, but the main purpose of the whole project is to promote the FSX Harvard, so a way had to be found to get the airports into FSX. Getting the buildings in was pretty straight forward. I just had to make sure all objects had the right kind of texture files. The process of getting the FS9 AFCAD2 file to work was another story. I downloaded the freeware ADE program and it seemed like nothing I did could get the 1941 version of the airport to show up. All that changed once I located and removed the default airport file.

The stage is set and I don't expect anymore tweaking until the storyboard is finished. It doesn't make sense to spend hours tweaking textures and models unless I'm sure it's going to get seen in the movie.

Speaking of movies, I went looking at my DVD of "Captain of the Clouds" to see what kind of equipment would be seen at these training bases and lo and behold the control tower at Uplands was just like the model that I had made of the bases in the Maritimes, the only difference being the one in the movie is made of brick and the ones I'll be using were made of wood. I'd post a screenshot except I've forgotten how to take screenies of a DVD playing a movie in WMP.

Next up, RCAF Summerside and RAF Charlottetown.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 9th Aug, 2011 at 11:21pm

William   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!
florida

I was thinking about just the same stuff these days. You describe the way it is. In a symphony orchestra, basically you spend half of your time trying to be a great sound amplifier. It is a great craft, but not such an artistic storytelling job. But anyhow, when you accept the symphony job, you have to provide the (good solid) sound thats needed in the context of the big hall, no artistic excuses possible. The jazz artists focusses on storytelling and let the amps do the sound production job. Or am I missing your point Sonic Soldier is really a nice way to describe it .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------

Do you need a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register bag?I think it's very necessary.A lady Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register will give u good performance.This is a very good Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register,you will like it and this is a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register online store,It's very fashionable in teenagers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print