Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Letter Home WIP number 3 (Read 955 times)
1st Jan, 2009 at 9:25am

J_MacKay   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Ohio

Well I uncovered the secret of getting custom fixed cameras into FSX. (It's a text entry in the saved flight file) and I found that turning the sound off when making a recording in FRAPS doesn't help frame rates but they're a real bear to get back in later. After trying to get smooth motion in the jeep drive-by scene for a week and discovering that FRAPS captured video that has camera rotation in it has a real nasty habit of inserting duplicate frames which causes skipping during playback, I took out the drive-by scene and replaced it with 3 new shots.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Enjoy

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 1st Jan, 2009 at 1:20pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

SWEET! Looking very good sir!  Cool

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 1st Jan, 2009 at 7:54pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

Thanks

I thought it interesting that the information for custom fixed camera locations would be stored in the saved flight files. There are a whole lot of variables for the properties of the camera that I have yet to explore. Maybe by the time this project is done I'll have had a chance to try a few more.

Working on the video over the holidays was a bit frustrating. I spent a lot of time discovering what didn't work, especially in the area of using FRAPS video for animated backgrounds in other 3d applications. I also discovered that the camera has some slight view movement to simulate head movement in response to motion. Sometimes it's so slight you don't notice it until you have something else  in the scene that's suppose to be stationary and you see it move. A good example would be the scene where the plane has over-flown the ship and you are looking back toward the rear seat.  Originally I had the background as an animated background from a FRAPS video with the detailed crew figure being modeled in Carrara Pro in front of it. To keep the figure looking right I had to also include parts to represent the top of the cover for the rear instrument panel. After the first render I discovered that this cover actually moves around a little because the camera is simulating a slight head bob as the plane rights itself from being in a bank. Trying to match this movement wasn't easy. I've come to the conclusion that the best way to proceed is to avoid having objects close to the camera be a part of the video background and just use the FRAPS video for distant background.

Boy, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know much.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print