Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bump mapping basics (Read 4671 times)
20th Jan, 2009 at 9:49pm

thedaviator   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times but as an Oldie now a Newbie again I need some help.

I have been getting reacquainted with FSDS and FSX. i see that FStweak allows for the application of Bump mapping textures. Being gone so long from A/C design I am having to start all over. What i would like to know is the following:

What general steps are needed to take a bump map file (created using Dave Nunez's terrific tutorial using Gimp) and combine it with the "regular" texture AND is it possible to add an alpha channel? I basically want to create a "bumpy", shiny texture for FSDS and FSX.

Thanks all!
David Eckert
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 21st Jan, 2009 at 1:56am

DaveNunez   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Seattle, Washington

You can do that no problem - simply add your shiny FS9 style texture using alpha as normal (there are tutorials on this), and then just add a bump map as the next step. I use this on my starship, works great.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 21st Jan, 2009 at 8:17am

thedaviator   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

DaveNunez wrote on 21st Jan, 2009 at 1:56am:
You can do that no problem - simply add your shiny FS9 style texture using alpha as normal (there are tutorials on this), and then just add a bump map as the next step. I use this on my starship, works great.

Thanks for the quick reply Dave! Do you know where I could find a tutorial on combining the three files together?

BTW, I read much of you rblog. WELCOME to the U.S.!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 21st Jan, 2009 at 10:47pm

DaveNunez   Offline
Seattle, Washington

Smiley Thanks, I am liking it here. Hope I don't put on too many pounds Wink

I am not sure of a place where you can get a tutorial - are you using FSDS or Gmax?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 21st Jan, 2009 at 10:57pm

thedaviator   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Hi Dave,

FSDS - thanks!

David

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 22nd Jan, 2009 at 8:51am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

DaveNunez wrote on 21st Jan, 2009 at 10:47pm:
Smiley Thanks, I am liking it here. Hope I don't put on too many pounds Wink

I am not sure of a place where you can get a tutorial - are you using FSDS or Gmax?

DaveN ....   *I* use gmax more that DaveE has ever done - and I know enough to be dangerous!

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 22nd Jan, 2009 at 12:24pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

thedaviator wrote on 21st Jan, 2009 at 8:17am:
Do you know where I could find a tutorial on combining the three files together?

I sense what may be some confusion by the way the question is worded...

WE don't "combine" the three files...

FSX does!

Diffuse Color = basic paint texture w/Alpha to specify the "shine"
Specular Color = specular color w/Alpha to specify the "strength"
Bump Map = normal/vector map

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 23rd Jan, 2009 at 2:22am

DaveNunez   Offline
Seattle, Washington

To do bump maps with FSDS, you need FSDSxTweak - go get it at AVSIM if you don't already have it.

The manual has tutorials on doing FS9 shine in FSX and doing bump maps - just follow both of those - they are completely compatible, and you should be good.

&&
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 23rd Jan, 2009 at 2:26am

DaveNunez   Offline
Seattle, Washington

Oh to clarify - I meant the FSDSxTweak manual has those tutorials.

Fr. Bill - nice catch, I thought there might be some confusion there too!

&&
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 2nd Mar, 2009 at 6:10am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Daviator

Nice to see you back again mate  Wink

Hey now M$ have dumped their "Golden Goose" the goalposts should stay in the same place! Smiley

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 22nd Jul, 2010 at 8:45pm

Björn   Offline
Spline Extruder
Do-328
Wismar (GER)

A maybe useful sidenote on bump maps:
It was a long and painful process for me to find out that bump maps have to be done by the book, say the SDK manual!

This means: Convert texture to grayscale -> Adjust to get the desired bright-dark effects for the elements -> Unify all the layers -> Run normal map generator in your paint program -> Export as .psd -> Run texture through Imagetool with the switches mentioned in the SDK manual -> Done.

Everything else yielded no success at all for me, just the procedure from the SDK worked.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print