Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inverse Shadowing (Read 6478 times)
25th Mar, 2009 at 2:25am

Baron von Blutwurst   Offline
Point Pusher
Gmax gives me a Migraine...I
must be a Masochist.
Fountain Hills Arizona

Hi folks,

I've been messing with FSX materials today and when I applied and exported,(used Imagetool as well),the in-game shadows are reversed. As in the plane is shadowed toward the light source and not while facing away.

What persay could be causing this effect?

Cheers
Randy

[url="Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register[/url]&&&&"If people knew how Laws and Sausages were made, they would never sleep peacefully." &&        &&      Otto von Bismark
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 25th Mar, 2009 at 11:37am

Au-MaV   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi
could be Bump maps,if they are missing or not formed correctly you will have some weird lighting effects
Cheers

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 25th Mar, 2009 at 2:33pm

Point Pusher
must be a Masochist.
Fountain Hills Arizona

Thanks for the insight Mav...I have a feeling that might actually be the issue too..

Cheers
Randy

[url="Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register[/url]&&&&"If people knew how Laws and Sausages were made, they would never sleep peacefully." &&        &&      Otto von Bismark
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 25th Mar, 2009 at 3:00pm

Point Pusher
must be a Masochist.
Fountain Hills Arizona

Hi again Mav,

You were correct....I had forgotten to paste the Red Channel too the to the Alha Channel and then make the Red Channel Black 0/0/0 and INVERT the Green Channel before saving as a  32 bit Targa and processing thru Image tool.

On a note,if you like the idea of inverse shadows to play with,just make your Bump/Normal map in Grey and process with NVidia Plug-in and save as 32 Bit Targa and then Prcess thru Image Tool. It is a bizarre effect to say the least.

Thanks Again m8
Randy

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 25th Mar, 2009 at 6:45pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Just out of curiosity, since you are using the nVidia plugin for Normal Maps, why aren't you also using the nVidia DDS exporter plugin as well?  Huh

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 26th Mar, 2009 at 12:18am

Point Pusher
must be a Masochist.
Fountain Hills Arizona

sorry Bill,

Ididnt know you could actually use anything but imagetool

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 26th Mar, 2009 at 1:47pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

The only "gottcha" using the nVidia DDS plugin is that unlike ImageTool.exe, the image isn't "autoflipped" when saving...

...hence the user must remember to perform an Image/Flip Vertical prior to saving as a DDS file...  Cool

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 28th Mar, 2009 at 11:49am

FSafranek/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
FFDS Co-Founder
Escondido, CA, USA

I got a report back on something similar with one of my Mirage repaints.  It looks fine on my system and no one else who has downloaded and applied it has reported any problems.  I made them correctly.  He is using an NVIDIA 8800 GTS with 512 Mb and the 6.14.11.8122 driver.  Mystery to me.  Luckily it's an isolated case.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Frank Safranek - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 31st Mar, 2009 at 1:43am

Point Pusher
must be a Masochist.
Fountain Hills Arizona

Thanks for the pics FS,,exactly the problem I encountered.....with the newest Nvidia drivers too....wish these guys would get on the same page. I solved the shadwoing by going DXT5 with Interpolaged ALPHA, but, now my reflections are heavily pixelated....I"m at a loss.

Cheers
Randy

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 1st Apr, 2009 at 1:23pm

DaveNunez   Offline
Seattle, Washington

Sounds like mipmaps are getting in the way - if it is possible, try saving the specular channel without mipmaps on.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 10th Feb, 2010 at 1:13pm

FSafranek/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
FFDS Co-Founder
Escondido, CA, USA

DaveNunez wrote on 1st Apr, 2009 at 1:23pm:
Sounds like mipmaps are getting in the way - if it is possible, try saving the specular channel without mipmaps on.

Sorry, just spotted your comment Dave.  No mipmaps involved -- never use the stuff.

Frank Safranek - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 18th Mar, 2010 at 1:59pm

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

Quote:
The only "gottcha" using the nVidia DDS plugin is that unlike ImageTool.exe, the image isn't "autoflipped" when saving...

...hence the user must remember to perform an Image/Flip Vertical prior to saving as a DDS file...  Cool

Then what is the benifit of using it?  Huh

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 18th Mar, 2010 at 3:46pm

DaveNunez   Offline
Seattle, Washington

I believe the nvidia plugin lets you save straight to DDS in photoshop, so no need to have an additional tool in the middle of your workflow.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 19th Mar, 2010 at 12:58pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Dave has the right of it. Since I use the Photoshop .psd file in Max/GMax, I can keep the .psd loaded in Photoshop, make changes, resave it, then see the results instantly in Max/GMax...

After exporting a new model from Max/GMax for FSX, I can then flip the bitmap in Photoshop, Save As DDS/DXT1 or 5 directly from Photoshop and see the results in FSX...

I then "Step Backwards" in Photoshop to "unflip" the master .psd file and I'm ready to keep working in Max/GMax...

For me it's main advantage is a smoother workflow by not having to use any other intermediate programs or steps to accomplish the task(s) required.  Wink

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 19th Mar, 2010 at 1:11pm

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

Makes good reasoning I guess. Me - I am a FSDS'er (although I have Max and the cut down G version) So with FSDS you can view the model/part and change the texture and see how it maps, wraps or distorts etc on the fly as you model. I also use Paint Shop as I have been doing so for 12 years or so and only use photoshop to do the bumpy stuff as I do not think the nvidia plug-ins work with PSP.
Each to his own I guess and "if it ain't broke - it will be  Grin"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print