Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inverse Shadowing (Read 6472 times)
Reply #15 - 10th Sep, 2010 at 11:36pm

deane   Offline
Point Pusher
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Blenheim. New Zealand

I'm suffering from the same effect, but I'm using Gimp to make my bump maps instead of PSP. I'm using FSDS3.5 and Tweaking. I have followed Dave Nunez's tutorial to the letter but despite spending day of cross checking and re-installing gimp and plugins, I can't get over this last hurdle. Here is a screenshot:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Note the shadowed sides are bright while the top and lit sides are darker. Any help appreciated

Thanks Deane

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 8th Oct, 2010 at 9:56pm

DaveNunez   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Seattle, Washington

Iiiinteresting....

I have noticed that usually models have both specular and bump maps applied (i.e. not one or the other, but both). What happens if you add a spec map?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 9th Oct, 2010 at 12:50am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi
After saving from gimp did you run the texture through imagetool with
imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -RedInAlpha -dds -nodither *.bmp
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 9th Oct, 2010 at 6:14am

anthony31   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Try making sure you don't have any stray .bmp files in your texture folder. This can sometimes mess up the shadows. I don't know why, it just does, sometimes. FSX can be funny sometimes.

I have a separate texture folder which has all my psp and bmp files in it. I then create my dds files in that folder and then drag them into my FSX texture folder so there are only dds textures in the FSX texture folder.

Secondly, check that your bump map is correct. Mainly the red green and blue components are separated properly. Red should be black, blue should have bump map detail and green should be white. The alpha channel will also contain bump map detail. Compare your bump map with one of the default aircraft bumps.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 16th Oct, 2010 at 3:29am

deane   Offline
Point Pusher
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Blenheim. New Zealand

Au-MaV wrote on 9th Oct, 2010 at 12:50am:
Hi
After saving from gimp did you run the texture through imagetool with
imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -RedInAlpha -dds -nodither *.bmp
Wozza

Thanks for the replies everybody. Wozza - that was the fix. Looks like the DDS save from GIMP is not working, so I saved from Gimp as a BMP and then ran the textures thru imagetool and all is good. No specular map was required. I'm so happy to overcome this hurdle. I will post some screens of the model soon.

Deane

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 16th Oct, 2010 at 10:04am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

anthony31 wrote on 9th Oct, 2010 at 6:14am:
The alpha channel will also contain bump map detail. Compare your bump map with one of the default aircraft bumps.

To be precise, the Alpha channel will contain what the Red channel had for its contents when first created...

...that's the reason for the -RedInAlpha switch in the ImageTool command. Wink

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print