Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Propeller disc bloom using FSDSXTweak ? (Read 11135 times)
Reply #15 - 9th May, 2009 at 12:41pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

I am not trying to be annoying but have you actually managed to get tweak 2.4 to make a specular material without a specular texture as nothing i have tried had worked so far
on any material.

seems to be ignored by XtoMdl for me.

My SDK is fully upto date and working properly but no tweak seems to make it or anything specular here.

just wondered if it was just not functioning for some reason.

Regards
Rick Wink

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 9th May, 2009 at 1:49pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

I have only tried it on a simple test case, but I got the same results as Rick; namely, "no shine".  This was done in the "no texture" mode.  I am not an expert at reading .x files but the tweak does seem to add to the .x file but nothing happens in FSX.  I am running FSX - Acceleration have the Acceleration SDK installed and am running XP-SP-3.
Hope this will be able to work as I miss being able to add "dynamic shine" to the material like in FS9.

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 9th May, 2009 at 1:58pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Paul

yes mate i prefer to set the base material as specular rather than having to have another texture.

I would in preference only use a specular texture for a part than need a complex specular effect rather than a generic part.

it's a waste of HDD space having to use extra textures for non descript parts.

I am pretty sure that tweak 2.4 is not making the base material specular at the moment so i guess it's just a small bug.

Hoping Dave doesn't think i am being cheeky as the tweak program has been a lifesaver for me and it a superb product that anyone else would have made payware (I would have gladly payed for it) Smiley

after how much my Hawk was pirated i am not bothering with any more payware currently as it's not worth the effort and expence involved
so back to freeware for me for at least the near future  Wink

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 10th May, 2009 at 2:19am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Well, I guess I'd better dig up the ol' source code and have a look at it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 10th May, 2009 at 3:37am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Ok, seems simple enough - just one parameter missing from the FS10Material block.

I have a buddy build ready for someone to test - what it does now is once all the tweaks are complete, it runs through the entire file again, and for each material which has a base material specular power set to more than 0, it adds the missing BaseMaterialSpecular block. It will do this for both textured and untextured parts. That means that if in the FSDS material editor you set a specular power value, it will now take effect in the sim as it did for FS9 (not sure why it was left out of the FSDS compilation process).

Download from here:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Please post here with your experiences of it. Once we know it works, I will package it up and post to AVSIM for a formal update.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #20 - 10th May, 2009 at 2:59pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

Still no change for me with the new file.

No specular base material is ending up in FSX

Sorry mate

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 10th May, 2009 at 3:06pm

PutPut   Offline
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Same here; the tweak is adding statements to the .x file, but they don't do anything in FSX.  Wonder if there is just an incompatibility with XtoMdl? Hope it can be found; I for one would really like this capability, and Rick for two!

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 10th May, 2009 at 8:13pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Is this on a textured, or non-textured part?

Any chance one of you fine gentlemen can send over the _temp.x and KFG file you are using to help in debugging?

« Last Edit: 11th May, 2009 at 12:24am by DaveNunez »  

&&
IP Logged

Reply #23 - 11th May, 2009 at 4:11am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

Have tried the part both textured & untextured whith no luck

this is my tweak entry following Bill's information

[texture.2]
identifier=prop.bmp
specular=prop_spec.dds
diffuse_a=1
diffuse_r=0.588
diffuse_g=0.588
diffuse_b=0.588
specular_r=0.99
specular_g=0.99
specular_b=0.99
specular_power=0
UseGlobalEnvironment=1
environment_level_scale=0.1
fresnel=Fresnel_Ramp.dds
FresnelEnvironment=1
NoShadow=1
SpecularMapPowerScale=64
SourceBlend=SrcAlpha
DestinationBlend=SrcAlpha
AllowBloom=1
SpecularBloomFloor=0.9

Have tried specular power entry at 64 too but above is closest to Bill's listing

the odd thing about Bill's list is it says SpecularMapPowerScale=64
when there is supposed to be no spec map in use.

So have tried both Map & power entries

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 11th May, 2009 at 7:26am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

Right have noticed that with 2.6 tweak that my FSDS specular materials have been used and show in FSX

this is with no specular map added via the tweak

I missunderstood what you ment

Guessing you mean the materials go straight from FSDS into FSX instead of having to apply the manual tweak???

off to test a bit more Wink

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 11th May, 2009 at 1:08pm

PutPut   Offline
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

WOW!  Got it to work!  See the picture below.  What did I do different?  I finally loaded Tweak 2.4 inside FSDS rather than running it as a stand alone. (Don't faint, Felix).  After spending some time entering the RIGHT paths etc. it seemed to work.  This morning I installed tweak2.6.exe and the picture shows what I got on the first compile.  There are no textures involved.  Here is what showed up in the kfg file:

[texture.0]
identifier=shine
diffuse_a=1
diffuse_r=0.5
diffuse_g=0.5
diffuse_b=0.9960938
specular_r=0.75
specular_g=0.75
specular_b=0.75
specular_power=1

[contact_global]
emergency_extension_type=0
gear_system_type=4
tailwheel_lock=0

The only negative I see is I "thought" I was applying shine only to the blue objects, but it shows on the gray fuse also

Cheers,  Paul

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 11th May, 2009 at 6:59pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Great! Nice to see this is working in 2.6.

Paul, I am worried a bit that you are seeing spec shine on the grey material when you didn't mean to... do a me favour - go into the material editor inside FSDS and check what the specualr power is there for the grey stuff. If it is not 0 then you will see that shine (set it to 0 to get rid of it).

&&
IP Logged

Reply #27 - 11th May, 2009 at 7:41pm

PutPut   Offline
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

No, that isn't it.  The fuse is assigned the straight Default material with zero specular power.  When I open fsdsxtweak_edit.exe I see 2 materials, but Default is not one of them  I see a material called shine which is correct for the blue material.  The other material is testie.bmp which isn't even in this .fsc.  The .x file has stuff in it from previous use of the test model but has been deleted from this .fsc.  I don't know where it is being picked up. Sad

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 11th May, 2009 at 10:51pm

PutPut   Offline
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

OK, I'm not sure were it was picking up the extraneous data, but I solved the problem by removing ALL the temp files in the FSDS folder then compiling the project without tweaks, then compiled again with tweaks.  I now have a wing with shine and a dull fuselage like it is designed.

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 11th May, 2009 at 11:01pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Woohoo!

Next time I have some time and some ebergy (not often do those two line up), I will update the docs and wrap it up as a new release.

&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print