Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Propeller disc bloom using FSDSXTweak ? (Read 11142 times)
Reply #30 - 12th May, 2009 at 1:50pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

DaveNunez wrote on 11th May, 2009 at 6:59pm:
Great! Nice to see this is working in 2.6.

Paul, I am worried a bit that you are seeing spec shine on the grey material when you didn't mean to... do a me favour - go into the material editor inside FSDS and check what the specualr power is there for the grey stuff. If it is not 0 then you will see that shine (set it to 0 to get rid of it).

From the "For What It's Worth Department..."

I noticed this interesting bit in the "FSX Material" document of the SDK, which only appears if you select the "Diffuse w/Specular 1" image under "The base material properties" animated image:

Quote:
Notes: Base Material with subtle specular. Mid grey specular color makes softer specular highlight. Value of 50 makes medium sized hotspot.
(Note: because raising something to the 0 power results in 1, a Specular Value of 0 will automatically become 50.)

I've highlighted the (new to me) information in bold+red in the quoted section above.  It would appear that we must always set at least a value of 1 for Specular Level in order to (almost) completely eliminate base material specular...  Shocked

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #31 - 12th May, 2009 at 9:32pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Interesting yes. Well, the way FSDSxTweak now works, a specular value of 0 will result in no specularity at all, because of the missing EnableBaseMaterialSpecular block.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #32 - 25th Dec, 2009 at 5:24am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Guys

Happy Christmas Wink

I still have not managed to get the propeller disc material bloom effect to work from FSDS 3.51

it's definately a material tag somwhere in XtoMdl as it blooms wiith the texture removed

Regards
Rick Wink

IP Logged

Reply #33 - 25th Dec, 2009 at 1:29pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Merry Christmas, you big Brit!  Cheesy

I will check again to see if I have missed any material properties by looking at the .x file schema.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #34 - 25th Dec, 2009 at 3:04pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

the effect shows best on the VC view of the default Beech Baron twin if that helps

Happy Christmas and huge respect & thanks to everyone that made the tweak program a reality Wink

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #35 - 25th Dec, 2009 at 6:48pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

How about to show your xmas spirit you just give us a tiny teaser of your current project (or shall we just start calling you scrooge right now  Wink )

&&
IP Logged

Reply #36 - 25th Dec, 2009 at 7:01pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

Real life and not being good enough at texturing or XML have slowed me up mate.

Freeware FSX Native HP.137 Jetstream 1 (T1 & T2)
the original with the Turbomecha Astazou engines

full 3d Cockpit with only LED nav radio windows projected
everything else is 3d xml.

a huge amount of work for me

Spare time has dwindled as i have to put work first Embarrassed
Regards
RickMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 25th Dec, 2009 at 8:12pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Oh, sweet lordy, this is friggin awesome. Keep going!

&&
IP Logged

Reply #38 - 25th Dec, 2009 at 9:53pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Merry Christmas tweakers Smiley
Rick that looks awesome mate,bloom sucks ...fps anyways so who needs it Wink
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #39 - 28th Feb, 2010 at 5:58pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Rick - try out v2.8 of fsdsxtweak - it has a couple of new material properties that might help you with this effect - in particular BlendDiffuseByInverseSpecularMapAlpha might be useful

&&
IP Logged

Reply #40 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 9:30am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

Tried with 2.8 but still can't get the specular spot on the propdiscs  Undecided

after much investigation the setting that bill showed it seems after checking that the default DC3 does not use the effect which is probably why i can't get it working

the Default Beech Baron uses the effect but only on it's VC model so i am never going to find the info i need.

the only Person making addons for FSX that has got the effect working is Daniel Dunn  Wink on his work for First Class Simulations (His superb Vickers wellington has it)

I guess i am stuck for now anyway
but thanks for everyones help

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #41 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 11:25am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Rick do you mean something like this Smiley
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #42 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 11:28am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Wozza

I think thats bloom, not specular mate

I don't use Bloom as it's a frame killer and only looks realistic on glass

What i am trying to make is the specular hilite like the Baron VC propeller discs.
But if thats not with bloom then i am very interested mate Wink

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #43 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 11:39am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Ahh ok I just read the message heading Smiley ""Propeller disc bloom using FSDSXTweak""
The up side is I think its the same issue Wink I couldn't get bloom to work at all on the prop disk
checked the material and all was identical in the xfile, the only difference then was the texture for the prop
once I used the beach baron one it came alive big time lol.Its the way Msoft make and map the prop_blurred that makes it all work me thinks (I have no idea how though)
as I know whats happing now Ill have a bit of a tinker and see if my theory pans out ....
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #44 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 11:50am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Wozza

While your here mate

anyone getting a CTD with the T6 ?

every time i load it i get a CTD almost immediately when it's on the ground

Regards
Rick