Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Propeller disc bloom using FSDSXTweak ? (Read 11136 times)
Reply #45 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 12:10pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi Mate
Yep comment out the gauge04=xml!compass,  336,729,350,350 in the vcockpit section and give it a whirl
dunno why but a few ppl have had CTD with that gauge running,I think its the bmp's but nobody's reported back that the fix worked or not Smiley

Re the spec yep was right works ok here when using the beach baron prop texture, you can also just and say just see it on the a standard run of the mill prop texture
the darker the alpha channel the lighter the effect.There some voodoo that Ms do to the props that make the effect work well.
this is the prop data Im using in fsdstweak
Wozza

[texture.5]
identifier=prop.bmp
specular=prop_spec.dds
NoShadow=1
SourceBlend=SrcAlpha
DestinationBlend=InvSrcAlpha
AllowBloom=1
AmbientLightScale=1
BloomModulatingByAlpha=1
EmissiveBloom=1
SpecularBloomFloor=0.9    
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #46 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 12:25pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Warwick

the edit stopped my T6 CTD  Wink (so far anyway) Grin

it's odd about the beech baron prop texture as it doesn't use a specular map on the baron model
if i remove the texture the spec still shines in a nice tight spot! Undecided

whatever does the effect i am after it's in the base material, not the texture but i know what you mean about the bloom.

Guessing you mean making the spec texture's alpha channel darker lightens the bloom ?

To be honest i can't follow the FSX SDK about specular textures (mine just have a white alpha channel and effect looks ok)
25 pictures of a teapot and lots of GMAX speak just loses me as FSDS works in RGB not %

I really need to get a better understanding of how a specular texture is effected by the lightness or darkness of it's alpha channel Embarrassed

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #47 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 12:31pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Rick - aw, bugger I thought we cracked it. Ah well, just remember that a model that Perfectionist 1st Class Rick Piper thinks is 80% ok is about 99% awesome to the rest of the worlds.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #48 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 12:37pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

I still have a lot to try mate so it may still be possible

Me! First Rate .......Nah just someone that spends far too much time trying to improve with every release.

I just like the prop spec effect as on a few of the default models thats all Grin

the real skills are from people like yourself managing to make a program to allow me to most of the FSX twinkly bits without suffering a nervous breakdown in the process Wink

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #49 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 12:48pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi Rick
Ok tried a few different texture same materials oh yeah forgot to mention I checked the ,R in fsds and used environment_level_scale=0 to kill reflection :0 (soz Ive got about 5 different cfg files for the one project Smiley )
[texture.5]
identifier=prop.bmp
specular=prop_spec.dds
NoShadow=1
environment_level_scale=0
SourceBlend=SrcAlpha
AllowBloom=1
AmbientLightScale=3
BloomModulatingByAlpha=1
EmissiveBloom=1
SpecularBloomFloor=0.9

1: beach prop texture
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

2: normal 3d party prop texture with a dark gray alpha
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

3:prop texture with an almost black alpha channel..you can barely see it unless your moving and even then only against dark backgrounds

spec maps are easy Smiley  white alpha channel gives a hot spot,then going darker makes the hot spot larger until its basically a hue rather that a highlight
The main texture in specs denote the colour of the hot spot/hue black on black is the flatest  for things like blackouts ect
Then you throw in Fresnel_Ramp into the mix Cheesy
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #50 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 1:14pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Not sure how this helps but finally found how the default textures are used ....I think Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #51 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 4:49am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Wozza

Just found my missing picture

this is the B350 propdisc with no texture & bloom turned off

I will get there if it kills me

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #52 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 6:38am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi Rick
Yep the spec highlight is using the material and not the texture
Under the sdk If I understand it  Smiley material spec is no longer used and is now controlled via texture and all material settings are lost as soon as a texture is applied anyways
So from my test it appears that when the transparency is controlled by the texture you loose the brightness/ambiance of the effect if the prop disk was setup the same as a solid material for example a tire that spins just as fas as the prop the effect looks great.
Basically what Im saying Smiley I dont think its a material setting but a texture setting. Ive tried SpecularMapPowerScale= but that just increases the hotspot size not its brightness there has to be a setting somewhere Smiley
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #53 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 6:43am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Wozza

Yes mate i get what you mean

If you can find the answer I will buy you quite a few tinnies mate Wink

Driven me nuts for almost a year trying to find the answer

i think there is a missing tag for Emmissive specular (like Emmissive Bloom)

is there any way i can discect the beech 350 prop and see whats doing it (I guess i need the X file for that?)

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #54 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 8:29am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi Rick
Had a look through the sdk and at the baron/beach king air which have the effect working (shame they used the dc3 instead of these in the sdk examples)
anyway using the standard way of doing props in fsds and using pure white in both main and alpha texture for the prop_spec.dds
then using this in fsdstweak
[texture.5]
identifier=prop.bmp
specular=prop_spec.dds
SpecularMapPowerScale=255
SourceBlend=SrcAlpha
NoShadow=1
AllowBloom=0
(I was wrong about SpecularMapPowerScale= I assumed 1 was the default and using 10 but it uses 0 to 255 where 64 to 100 is the norm)

It looks to me to be pretty much the same as Im seeing on the baron

Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #55 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 8:35am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Mate

Just got to finish some work stuff and i will try that one

Regards
Rick Wink

IP Logged

Reply #56 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 10:01am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Wozza

Right done as noted but doesn't look like you have it for me.

my specular texture is now white 255 with a white 255 alpha (is that right ?)

i have a choice of the prop disc being default material or glass material what are the material specs (think this is irrellevant if tweaked after export)

I now get the specular showing but not in a spot like you have in your shot (It's over most of the disc ie: not tight & small)

does the prop disc part need to be curved in profile as mine is basically diamond shaped in side view

Sorry mate Wink

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #57 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 1:09pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Wozza

Well mate you cracked it.

it works

I have found that for me
the prop disc looked best if it was all one smoothing group
used a white alpha with a 64,64,64 Alpha channel to tune the hilite spot
I also (You know me Wozza!) used a bump map built from an image in full black with a layer of noise in white added then spun 120 degrees with Radial blur then turned into a FSX Bump Map

All the props i have seen have a sort of ragged looking hilite which is what i was after

Many thanks to everyone that helped with this saga Wink

Regards
Rick  Smiley

this is my FSDSxTweak entry to make it work properly (I turned the bloom back on and looks better with a little enviroment refection)
Texture is not tagged ,R (reflective) in FSDS 3,51 (but can be if you like)

identifier=prop.bmp
specular=prop_spec.dds
bump=prop_bump.dds
fresnel=Fresnel_Ramp.dds
environment_level_scale=0.1
SpecularMapPowerScale=255
NoShadow=1
UseGlobalEnvironment=1
FresnelSpecular=1
FresnelEnvironment=1
SourceBlend=SrcAlpha
AllowBloom=1
AmbientLightScale=1
BloomModulatingByAlpha=1
SpecularBloomFloor=0.9

screenshot is with bloom disabled in FSX (just Spec showing)

IP Logged

Reply #58 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 1:48pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Nice! Good job Rick, I might add this as a tutorial in the manual for the next version - would you mind sharing your bump map and spec map with me for this? (you can email them to me or post here, whatever you prefer).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #59 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 2:04pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

sorry about size but used a big texture in 32 bit 888 dds as it has a much smoother transition but can be resized to 50% and probably will before release
I don't use Mipped textures as they just blur for most Nvidia users (you can add mips if you need to)
My FSDS material is "Prop"

Wozza & I have discovered you only need 2 materials in FSDS3.51 for FSX models

Glass or Prop or Trans (same as default but 254 opacity) only so you can see it's transparent in FSDS as it's a nightmare to have it solid when your building as it gets in the way.

I halved the drawcalls for the Jetstream by converting to just these 2 materials.
you can if you don't mind it being solid in FSDS use just Default only and save more drawcalls Wink

Anyway that was not on topic but may be usefull.

Regards
Rick Wink
« Last Edit: 2nd Mar, 2010 at 6:29pm by Rick_Piper »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print