Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Avsim Destroyed!! (Read 1291 times)
13th May, 2009 at 12:42am

N400QW   Offline
Point Pusher
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Folks,

Today, AVSIM was destroyed by a hacker. Both of our primary servers were hacked and the partition tables destroyed, and that will be very difficult to overcome. I won’t speculate on who did it, but we will have a forensic done on our disks and scrutinize the logs to validate our suspicions.

I would appreciate if you could post the following as a news item or announcement on your websites or forums. Nels and Francois, I know we have been competitors, but I would very much appreciate you posting this on your web sites, if you could.

PRESS RELEASE: AVSIM Hacked!!

Tom Allensworth, CEO and Publisher of AVSIM, today issued the following announcement; “We regret to inform the flight simulation community that on Tuesday, May 12, AVSIM was hacked and effectively destroyed. The method of the hack makes recovery difficult, if not impossible, to recover from. Both servers, that is the library / email and web site / forum servers were attacked. AVSIM is totally offline at this time and we expect to be so for some time to come. We are not able to predict when we will be back online, if we can come back at all. We will post more news as we are able to in the coming days and weeks. END

Best Regards,
Tom Allensworth

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 13th May, 2009 at 10:23am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Of course it's scary, the loss of all that work ....

The other side of the coin is the loss of all that accumulated knowledge on panel and gauge design. 

From my point of view, the AVSIM design forum was one of the best - if not the best - panel/gauge forums around.  I could barely understand the thread TITLES, let alone the subject therein.

The FAQ was priceless....  Sad

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 13th May, 2009 at 12:52pm

jimslost   Offline
LDV Engineer
The more I learn, the
less I know

... and some people still insist that capital punishment is cruel and unusual ...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 13th May, 2009 at 7:59pm

Luka   Offline
Polygon Twister

Really bad news...for FS community this is same as destruction of the Library at Alexandria...Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 13th May, 2009 at 11:54pm

dmaher   Offline
Spline Extruder
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sad news...It's unfolding like a Hardy Boys mystery.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print