Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
R.I.P. Caligari TrueSpace.... (Read 1371 times)
29th May, 2009 at 12:46pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

.... a victim of Microsoft's "restructuring".

I was reading in a Poser-related forum of the decision by Microsoft to close down the TrueSpace modelling program.

While TS has a much different user interface, it was still a very powerful modelling program, capable of handling several different formats.  Moreover, when Microsoft took over Caligari, it made TS 7.6 free.

Now it appears that the site is closing down.  Although I understand that the original developers are going to try to take it back, in the meantime, they are suggesting that interested people download the program installer, and any content (a lot of video tutorials) etc they may want.

but then, if a new-build/.design Howard DGA can fly  (the DGA-21's first flight was in 2008) .... will a revitalized TS be far behind?

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 29th May, 2009 at 8:22pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Why in the world did MS spend multi-$ buying Caligari in the first place!  What a bunch of morons...  Roll Eyes

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 29th May, 2009 at 8:24pm

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

Quote:
Why in the world did MS spend multi-$ buying Caligari in the first place!  What a bunch of morons...  Roll Eyes

Grasping at straws? Tongue

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 29th May, 2009 at 11:05pm

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Quote:
Why in the world did MS spend multi-$ buying Caligari in the first place!  What a bunch of morons...  Roll Eyes

I'd say it's more than likely a case of: "Too much money and not enough sense".

But then again. How many times does M$ buy out a company then just dump the whole thing or just the parts they don't want?

A sad day for the first 3D modeling program I ever used.  Sad

What IS the world coming to?  Undecided

Be happy! Life's too short not to be!

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 29th May, 2009 at 11:27pm

dmaher   Offline
Spline Extruder
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

…another casualty of the recession.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print