Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Feeling very sad... (Read 4573 times)
17th Jun, 2009 at 7:38pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

I'm feeling very sad, because my precious little dauschund "Bubba" isn't doing well at all. He started convulsing about 2:30 this afternoon. After about six minutes of that, he lost control of his left side.

The vet thinks he had a mild stroke this afternoon and he's in the hospital for at least two days for evaluation and treatment.

Bless his little heart, he's nearly twelve so I can't say I'm surprised too much, but sadly I'm much too poor to afford extensive health care for him.    Cry

Here's a picture of the little fellow about five years ago:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 17th Jun, 2009 at 7:45pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

My condolences.  While I'm not a pet person myself, I have seen the joy that they bring to others, and the heartbreak when something happens..

It also hits home a little since my son and his wife have an "older"  dacshund that has recently given them a similar scare.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 17th Jun, 2009 at 7:56pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Thanks, Felix. I actually bought Bubba to keep my late brother company after he was diagnosed with acute hepatic cancer (liver). After Ralph died, I became Bubba's "Daddy" and he's been a very great comfort to me. Always faithful, never demanding or needy...

I've always had a soft spot for miniature dauschunds.  I've had four over the years, but I really think Bubba will be my last. I'm getting to that point in life where I cannot in good conscience take on the responsibility of a pet. I've had nightmares about Bubba being locked in his crate and starving to death because Daddy had been called Home during the night...   Cry

BTW, did your mail arrive safely?

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 17th Jun, 2009 at 9:14pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

This i am very sorry to hear Bill , he is a great companion and the most faithful of friends , i hope he pulls through.

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 17th Jun, 2009 at 9:54pm

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

It's always a sad time when a beloved member of your family takes a turn for the worse.  But it sounds especially distressing for you since you aren't able to get another puppy after this.  I hope Bubba makes a recovery, or at least is able to come home soon.  I've always been unable to sleep whenever I knew my pets were in trouble.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 17th Jun, 2009 at 10:26pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Thanks, guys.  I didn't name him "Bubba." That was my redneck foster brother's idea of a "good name." I had a bit of trouble with the AKC getting Bubba registered because of his name. He is a rather rare "Silver Dapple" miniature dauschund.

My first three were, Col. Wilhelm Klink, Wachlen (means Wiggles), and Winken (Winky 'cause she was blind in one eye).

Wachlen and Winken were both AKC registered miniatures, and I had fantasies of breeding 'em...

Ha! Wachen turned out to be gay and Winken simply wasn't interested. Period.  Grin

Col. Klink became diabetic, and had to be put down late one night after having spent the entire day in the vet's care. They forgot to give him his insulin. Not knowing that, I didn't give him any and he slipped into a diabetic coma. When I called the vet at home, he got very angry and said he wouldn't see him until the morning.

My brother, two of his nephews and I drove the dog to the vet's house, woke him up and had him give Klink the "Big Sleep" at 2am.  I wasn't in the best of moods and told him, "If you send me a bill for this I'll personally pound you into the sand."  I never heard from him again...

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 18th Jun, 2009 at 11:19am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes and prayers. Dr. Foster called me at 9am and let me know that Bubba is much worse today, and that all tests done thus far indicate that he's had a stroke. The prognosis for any recovery is not good, and any treatment would take months and be very, very expensive.

In his considered opinion, the most likely outcome would result in Bubba having to be hand fed, and nursed carefully until entropy's inevitable end.

So, having taken all of this into consideration, I've had to make the hard decision to have the vet administer the Big Sleep.  As I type this brief note I'm crying so hard I can hardly see the screen. Now I've got to pull myself together enough to drive to the hospital so I can sign Bubba's life away, and hold him gently as he breathes his last sigh...

...how I'll make it home again is another question...  Cry

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 18th Jun, 2009 at 12:16pm

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

Words can't even express how sad I am for you and yours . . .

I actually cried a few for "Bubba", and I'll hoist one for him next chance I get.

&&
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 18th Jun, 2009 at 8:02pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Thanks for the kind words of comfort, everyone.

I arrived at the animal hospital about 1:20 this afternoon and shortly was shown into a private room.
After a short wait, one of the staff brought Bubba in so I could cradle him in my arms.
He was so weak and pitiful looking, but he smelled me and slowly managed to give me a final face lick.
He knew I was there...

They told me that I could take as long as I needed, so I held him, gently stroked him,
and sang a little song I'd written just for him many years ago.
He looked at me several times as I was singing,
so I knew he heard my voice...

It's a silly little song, but I'd sung it to him everyday since he was just a tiny handful of wiggly puppy.

I love you Bubba,
Oh yes I do.
I don't love anyone
as much as you.
You are so good to me
it's true!
Oh Bubba, I love you.

After about an hour, Dr. Foster poked his head in and asked if we were ready.
I looked at Bubba, he gave a little sigh and then I realized that he knew he would not
be coming back home with me, but was instead going to Rainbow Bridge where he'd
be met by St. Francis, and taken to where all the precious companions can romp around
and play.

Dr. Foster came into the room and explained briefly that he would be using a two step injection process,
the first a mild sedative and the second a lethal nerve agent. After the first injection, he gently placed his
stethoscope on Bubba's chest, then gave him the second injection. He seemed a bit surprised that Bubba's
little heart stopped almost instantly. He said that was very unusual, and that it normally takes at least a minute...

So, I knew then that Bubba was ready to go to his final home...
It was 2:22 pm...

Listen to "At Rainbow Bridge the Puppies Play" a gentle instrumental I've scored for the occasion.

Here's a link to the beautiful gardens where he will be interred soon:

« Last Edit: 20th Jun, 2009 at 9:43pm by Fr. Bill »  

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 18th Jun, 2009 at 9:25pm

joanvalley   Offline
Spline Extruder
Mexicali, B. C., Mexico

I'm so sorry for your loss Fr. Bill ... Most of the time we don't appreciate and maybe mock people who love their pets, but they certainly become members of the family and are missed when they are gone. Bubba will be in my prayers... and Fr. Bill, try to smile, he's with the good Lord now.

Jose.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 20th Jun, 2009 at 4:23pm

Chuck Jodry   Offline
visible in range

Beyond question you were as good a friend to bubba as he was to you , also beyond doubt is that only real men are comfortable
expressing sentiment in public , it proves they are emotionally balanced and whole human beings , i am proud to count you as a friend Bill.

If it don't fit &&you need a bigger hammerMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 20th Jun, 2009 at 4:50pm

dmaher   Offline
Spline Extruder
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

My condolences Bill…It’s so sad to hear you’ve lost the little guy. 
You know best, but I hope you reconsider another pooch when you’re ready.

Danny

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 21st Jun, 2009 at 6:02am

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

Bill, I lost my dog of thirteen years a few months ago, and I understand the pain you must be feeling right now.  My dog Pepper was a loyal and trueNo p friend, no matter the circumstances..  I loved her dearly, but her body failed her in March.  I will always remember her as the beautiful and joyful pet she always was.  Thank god that we, as humans are able to experience the joy of another being while we are here on Earth.

Bubba has passed, but his legacy lives on with you.

No one is gone until the last seed of what they planted has been reaped.

Bubba will always be with you, and you will always see him in the rising sun . . .

My deep condolences . . .

&&
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 2nd Jul, 2009 at 4:55am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Bill

Sorry to hear that mate  Sad

Losing a family pet for me is like losing one of my kids Cry

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 2nd Jul, 2009 at 2:08pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Thanks Travis and Rick.  It's now been three weeks since Bubba had his stroke, and just about ~25 hours from the 3 week anniversary of his death.

By now the searing pain has been reduced to a more manageable ache. Throughout the day though, every time I hear a strange noise, I find myself glancing around to see what the little scamp has gotten into now.  Grin

I would imagine that you've had something similar happen Travis. I'm sorry to hear about your precious friend Pepper.  Cry

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print