Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Odd thought (Read 1872 times)
19th Jun, 2009 at 7:20am

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

I was sitting here wondering about the Cold War (and reading various articles on the same), when it struck me that I can't recall a single instance where either the US or the USSR used a mountain as a storage facility for aircraft.  At least, none that I can remember or have heard of.

What I was imaging was something like a hole bored through a small mountain or large hill that could serve as bunker, hangars and control tower all at the same time.  It seems to me that this would be the perfect way to guard against nukes or air/satellite spying.  Sure they would know there was something there, but they wouldn't be able to know how many of what type of aircraft, or even the number of people stationed there.  Anyone know of any documentation about something like this?

The whole reason I bring it up is that I can't for the life of me figure out a way this could work in FS.  I guess you could build a "mountain" in Gmax or FSDS and then build the interior into it, but I'm not sure you could texture it correctly, especially for different seasons.  I just thought it might be a nifty thing to have.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 19th Jun, 2009 at 8:36am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

... that you may have heard of.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Swedes and Swiss have such contingencies....

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 19th Jun, 2009 at 9:24am

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

If you know of any documentation, or any way that I could search for something of this type without sifting through Google search after Google search, I would be grateful.

Otherwise, does anyone know how this might be accomplished?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 19th Jun, 2009 at 10:49am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

curiously, at fsdeveloper.com, there's a fellow that's imported USGS data and created mesh in gmax, exported to FS.

I'm thinking that, indepentenly, you can create a landscape mesh, model the "cave", etc.

In one sense, a mountain/cave is nothing more than a large (very large) hangar object - just shaped funny.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 19th Jun, 2009 at 11:58am

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

Quote:
curiously, at fsdeveloper.com, there's a fellow that's imported USGS data and created mesh in gmax, exported to FS.

I'm thinking that, indepentenly, you can create a landscape mesh, model the "cave", etc.

In one sense, a mountain/cave is nothing more than a large (very large) hangar object - just shaped funny.

Interesting.  What about the seasonal texture changes?  Say I wanted to put something like that in the mountains around Colorado, or somewhere in the Ukraine.  I'm guessing I would have to make four different versions, one for each season, and then use XML to designate time and date information.

Would it be possible to get autogen scenery to show up on something like that?

&&
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 19th Jun, 2009 at 1:39pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Quote:
Would it be possible to get autogen scenery to show up on something like that?

At this point, I would run to Arno at FSDeveloper.com  .......   Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print