Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'Fess Up, Dave (Read 1142 times)
29th Sep, 2009 at 3:44pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

OK, you have been hinting, teasing, and otherwise tantalizing in your blog about a couple of new FS applications you are developing.  How about a description of what they are all about?

Thanks,  Paul

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 29th Sep, 2009 at 9:22pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Cheesy

Ok, here are some crumbs...

1. A utility to manage the partsdefdata file properly - I struggled with this thing enough. Will run as a plugin to FSDS.
2. A gauge code editor - but with a twist; My brother and I (we are both computer scientists) are defining a new gauge language that will allow you to define gauge in a sane way (i.e. not in reverse polish notation!). This one is obviously going to take a lot more work, but huge chunks of it are actually running.

Both are underway, due to moving house etc I have been behind a bit, but now that the winter is moving in, I should have lots of long evenings to code...

Here are a couple shots of the gauge editor. Here is the bit that lets you edit the panel.cfg files. Note the coloured syntax highlighting...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

And here is the new gauge language. Note how it looks like C or BASIC. Also there is syntax highlighting and a primitive form of intellisense for variable names and stuff.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 30th Sep, 2009 at 1:15am

PutPut   Offline
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Hi, Dave,

Many Thanks for the info.  The gauge editor looks fascinating but gauge design is something I leave to others.  However, this approach might help even my 77 year old brain get a handle on things.

I really am interested in the PartDataDefs.txt utility.  I have succesfully created attachpoints for a multitude of lights, hardened landing surfaces, etc., but have had no success doing Acceleration style arrestor cables or carrier catapults, etc.  Hopefully your utility will solve this problem.

Good luck with your new house!

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 26th Apr, 2010 at 12:26pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Dave, if you and your bother are still working on the "new gauge language," might I suggest that you avoid the use of "trigger_key_event" altogether and use "send_key_event" instead?

The later is a single-shot operation, whereas the former acts more like a machine gun...

So much so in fact, that if one needs to frequently update a computed variable and use that to send a command to one of the sim's control events, a "race condition" will occur, which actively blocks any other commands from being received...

This is what causes a normally functioning heading knob to suddenly increment/decrement in 10 "jumps" or an altitude set knob to inc/dec in 1000' "jumps" to list just two examples.  Shocked

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 26th Apr, 2010 at 8:42pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Thanks, that's good idea. This project has been a little on hiatus (as real life takes over, sigh), but we will certainly use that idea.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print