Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Question!-> FSX SDK panel (Read 2933 times)
20th Nov, 2009 at 8:20am

ViperThreat   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Ok new quesiton:
I have everything for the VC setup and working as i like, but for some reason, when i create a square, and texture it with my $VC  texture, in game, it shows up black??

I ran through the multitude of tutorials i have, and found that i needed to select some options in the framebuffer blend settings. SrcAlpha, and InvSrcAlpha. Now though, ive added a few gauges to verify everything is right, and nothing is appearing?

Heres the Panel.cfg:

[Vcockpit01]
size_mm=512,512
pixel_size=512,512
visible=0
texture=$Panel_SFR
gauge1=Boeing747-400!Primary Flight Display, 1, 126
gauge1=Boeing747-400!Multi-Function Display, 175, 126

any ideas?

« Last Edit: 21st Nov, 2009 at 3:58pm by ViperThreat »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 20th Nov, 2009 at 2:03pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Fear not, the epistle you seek is not far.....

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 21st Nov, 2009 at 9:04am

ViperThreat   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

You my friend are the man!  Any ideas about why my panel wont work?
« Last Edit: 21st Nov, 2009 at 3:59pm by ViperThreat »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 22nd Nov, 2009 at 5:36am

Au-MaV   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi
most glaring fault I can see is

gauge1
=Boeing747-400!Primary Flight Display, 1, 126
gauge1
=Boeing747-400!Multi-Function Display, 175, 126
should be
gauge00=
gauge01=
and so forth
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 22nd Nov, 2009 at 6:04pm

ViperThreat   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Yea, ive tried a few different gauges, i was just copy/pasting at that point..   Even with only one basic gauge, i cant seem to get anything to show up..

So heres my texture creation process, see if maybe im doing something wrong.

Apply the  $Panel_SFT.bmp texture to the diffuse, and the self illumination.

Under Framebuffer Blend, i select Source Blend: as SrcAlpha, and Destination Blend: as InvSrcAlpha, Emissive Mode is on Additive.

Under Material Alpha Test, i check the box that says "Z-Test Alpha."

Under Enhanced Properties, i check the box that says "No Base Material Specular"

Under Aircraft Material Properties, i check the box that says "Is virtual Cockpit Panel Texture"

I apply the texture to the square plane, and add a UVWmap modifier.

Export, and now the square is invisible, but no gauges can be seen either.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 22nd Nov, 2009 at 11:37pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi
First up try this in your panel.cfg
[Vcockpit01]
size_mm=512,512
pixel_size=512,512
visible=1
texture=$Panel_SFR
gauge00=Bendix_king_radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF,  1,1,512,512

this will make the gauge cover the whole panel ,so no matter what the coords are for the mapped polly you should see some part of the gauge in the sim
if not then there is something wrong in the mapping or setup in the design program(which Im assuming is g-max)
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 23rd Nov, 2009 at 4:54pm

ViperThreat   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

OK.. so i got gauges working.. sort of.  (yes, im using gmax)

I made a new texture, standard (non-fsx), and put in  $Panel_SFR.bmp as the diffuse, and $Panel_SFR_L.bmp as the self-illumination.

In game, i can now see the gauges. But with some issues.  

With one panel, with a single gauge on it, there are no issues.. The panel displays as it should.

When i create another panel,  ($Panel_SFL.bmp & $Panel_SFL_L.bmp), and add my gauges to it, for some reason, other parts of my  cockpit lose their texture, and start displaying the gauges.

Heres a few pics to demonstrate

Normally, this is how the cockpit should look:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

When i add the second panel, this happens:

Finally, i cannot for the life of me get the gauges to illuminate at night. Im using some included FSX gauges, but i cant figure out if im doing something wrong in gmax, or if im missing some kind of xml somewhere.. Ive read all of the tutorials i can.. but cant find an answer.  I took an A321 gauge, which lights up perfectly at night on the A321, applied it to my panel, and at night, nothing.. I scoured the A321 panels file, and cant figure out how exactly it lights up..  

I think it has something to do with how im texturing the panel square. Because im not creating a (FSX) texture, im willing to bet that thats the real problem.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 23rd Nov, 2009 at 10:51pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi
Ok looks to me like your trying too run before you can crawl Smiley
dont worry about the night lighting just yet this can be added later
First up judging by the pics you posted I think your having trouble with basic mapping of gauge pollys and placing gauges
Get this sorted first then move onto night lighting ect Smiley
Have you read the placing and night texture pdf here ?
chapter5 whilst this deals with fsds and older sims the basics are still the same
next what program or how are you placing  the gauges ?
Wozza

PS I think this should have been posted in the panels section you would prob get more help there Wink

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 24th Nov, 2009 at 2:33am

ViperThreat   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

That link you sent looks like it has a lot of good information, but the chapter 4, 5, and 6 all link to the same PDF document, I cant find another link to the chapter 5 pdf..

As for placing gauges, I'm doing it the old-fashioned way.. I open Panel.cfg and edit it manually, i just open and close FSX reloading the aircraft each time until I'm happy with the positioning..  I wasn't aware that there was another way to do it for VCs.

If a mod would be so kind as to move this thread to the panels section, it would be appreciated, i dont see a need to have two threads for one question.

Again, thanks for all your help guys, the wealth of information you have provided me with is literally priceless. Being able to move my dream from my head to the computer screen, and let others experience virtually what i have mentally for years is just an awesome feeling.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 24th Nov, 2009 at 5:56am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi
The link worked fine for me anyway the full link to the file is
prob wont work as a remote link
Panel studio is what I use its payware but the best bucks I ever spent,The authors older ver was freeware but it didnt really support xml gauge or the newer gauges very well

Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 24th Nov, 2009 at 12:19pm

ViperThreat   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

^

Ill have to check into that panel studio, it sounds like it might be worth a look.

That link gave me chapter 4, which focuses on XML programming for Radios, ive checked from two computers, both give me the same pdf file.  It doesnt mention anything about placing gauges or panel bitmapping...

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 24th Nov, 2009 at 1:28pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Ahhh My apology's Smiley
I already have all the pdf here and just assumed the downloaded file was the right one,they must have mucked up the links when they redid the site.
Shoot me a PM with an email addy and Ill send it to you its about 1.3meg
Wozza

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print