Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New FS 'Puter! (Read 1448 times)
15th Dec, 2009 at 12:48am

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

My one year old ACER Q6600 FS 'puter decided to drink the Kool-Aid, and has developed some internal illness deep within the operating system.  FS9 and FSX will both will crash whenever any a/c using complex gauges (most likely GDI/GDI+) are loaded...

So, today I bit the bullet and made a trip to Best Buy and picked up a very nice box for ~$1200...

I just about fell out of my chair when I saw 102 fps in FSX will all sliders to the right!!! It takes less than 15 seconds to launch FSX and be ready to fly... Wow!

FS9 is a real screamer, even loaded down with tons of a/i and custom scenery...

Since we no longer have to chase after any new FS releases, this will probably be the last 'puter I'll have to buy any time soon.  Grin

Quote:
◦Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor
Features 4 processing cores, 8MB cache and 2.8GHz processor speed per core.

◦Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Increases processor speed at peak times for power when you need it most.

◦8GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.

◦Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media.

◦1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers fast read/write times and plenty of storage.

◦NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 graphics
With 1024MB dedicated video memory for enhanced graphics performance. Integrated 7.1-channel audio support.

◦IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
Both front and rear accessible for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity. eSATA interface for additional connection options.

◦Dell 1505 WLAN PCI-E card with 11n mini card and external antenna
Lets you connect to the Web wirelessly.

◦Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for easy connection to the Internet.

◦Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform from which to launch games, programs and other applications.

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 15th Dec, 2009 at 9:03am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Bill ya win Loto????? Cheesy ...Nice system push's my single core 3.0ghz system into the dark ages
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 15th Dec, 2009 at 11:23am

joanvalley   Offline
Spline Extruder
Mexicali, B. C., Mexico

How the heck am I getting only 29-36 FPS on my new system? Logical would be to get more than you Bill since I have like double your specs (and paid quadruple the money you paid for it... Sad ) Any "special" tweak you made to the new FSX installment I may be missing??? I just installed the SP1A and Acceleration but nothing more.

Congrats mate BTW,

Jose.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 15th Dec, 2009 at 1:41pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Guys, this is "out of the box" performance. I've not had time to do any "tweaking" at all, and quite honestly don't plan on any...

...believing as I do in the ancient and venerable wisdom of "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" principle.

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 15th Dec, 2009 at 11:59pm

DaveNunez   Offline
Seattle, Washington

I bet the CPU and ram are giving you most of the boost. Very nice! I need to upgrade me my CPU, but it is only a year old...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 16th Dec, 2009 at 3:51pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Au-MaV wrote on 15th Dec, 2009 at 9:03am:
Bill ya win Loto????? Cheesy ...Nice system push's my single core 3.0ghz system into the dark ages
Wozza  

No, unfortunately. Of course I don't play the Lotto, so I'm not terribly surprised when I don't win...

Seriously, if I didn't absolutely need to have this new 'puter for my work, I'd probably not have blown my very meager savings, but would have simply spent the time to back up my files on the "sick 'puter" and then started from scratch with a fresh install of Vista32.

As it is though, it's still taking me a few days to get FS9 and FSX addon software transfered over, reinstalled and/or reconfigured...

I will say thing though, the i7 and 8GB DDR3 along with Win7 x64 really makes a HUGE difference!

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print