Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating a wing/fuselage fillet (Max/Gmax) (Read 2599 times)
24th Dec, 2009 at 8:48am

Willem   Offline
LDV Engineer
Gmax... can't live with
it, can't live without
it.
Netherlands

Hello all,

well i have been getting back in the swing of things, moving from Gmax to Max7 and relearning all the stuff since i have been out for quite a while.
Just to get used to Max i decided to make a quick and dirty model and try to export the thing to FSX, with materials, textures etc.

For now i'm still building the model (a Fokker G-1) and now having built half of the fuselage and the LH wing i ran into one of my nightmares when i was building the F27 and to a lesser extent the AN72 (btw this one is on the backburner for now, i'd like to port it to Max because of the texture baking facilities it has. probably at a later stage) in Gmax. In these aircraft i built the Wing to Fuselage fillet using a box and moving the vertices around until i was kind of satisfied with the result.

The result was there alright but my hair has turned grey when building the F27 and started falling out when i worked on the AN72 Roll Eyes (well not really but it did take a lot of time)

Searching the web and also youtube i came across the FFD (FreeForm Deformation) modifier which is available in Gmax and in Max. I did find some reference on this site as well but a search did not reveal it specifically pointing to a wing-fuselage fillet. Might have missed it though...

Anyway, here's how i made the fillet of my new model, of course there are many more ways to do this but i just thought i'd share with you. Won't hurt will it?

Below you see a section of the fuselage and of the wing (both are editable poly's and the wing has the smoothing removed).
I made extra some Slices near the wing root which were not there yet, this helps to get the shape somewhat smoother.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Now i selected the wing and from the Modifier List i selected FFD (Box). This allows you to adjust the number of control points of the "deformation cage".
I set the number of points in the Parameters Rollout to 2x4x3 for Length, Width, Height respectively.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The box (amber) or Lattice in the image above is smaller than what you would typically get when first applying this modifier. Rescaling is done here:

Just select Lattice at the subobject level and then in the viewport scale and move the thing to the position which best suits your purpose.
I scaled it down a bit and positioned it such that the outer control points more or less align with the edges that were created when performing the outer slice on the wing root, and the inner control points more or less align with the fuselage.
It always remains possible to go back and rescale or move afterwards.
(By the way, the Set Volume allows you to move the individual control points without affecting the mesh.)

Next up i selected the Control Points subobject, which makes it possible to select the errr the individual control points of the Lattice.
Now it is just a matter of moving and scaling these control points (or sets of control points) to deform the wing root to your liking.
The result is a nice flowing deformation of your mesh.

After applying a smooth modifier it looks like this:

Kind of cool huh?

A rendered shot to finish off. Again it is meant to be a quick and dirty aircraft, so don't bother counting the windows and stuff like that. They won't match i'll tell you... Wink
But doesn't that fillet look sweet? Smiley

Hope this is of some use for you guys!

grt
Willem

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 25th Dec, 2009 at 8:58am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Thanks for the tip.  I'll move it in a few more days to the tips section.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 26th Dec, 2009 at 4:53am

Willem   Offline
LDV Engineer
Gmax... can't live with
it, can't live without
it.
Netherlands

Ok Felix!
Hope some people find use for it.

grt
Willem

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 26th Dec, 2009 at 3:38pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

It's always good to have several ways to do something.  After all, not always one method may be the best for all situations.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 27th Mar, 2010 at 12:25pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll move it in a few more days to the tips section.

Hey Felix! Did ya ferget to move da thread? It's been a bit more that a "few more days..."  Grin

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 2nd Apr, 2010 at 4:10am

Willem   Offline
LDV Engineer
Gmax... can't live with
it, can't live without
it.
Netherlands

Grin Grin
Yeah i noticed it kinda slipped.
No worries though, it's not like it's the end of the world so to speak  Wink

grt
Willem

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print