Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS9 Creeping aircraft (Read 1924 times)
26th Dec, 2009 at 2:18pm

mjahn   Offline
Polygon Twister

Hi all,

I have posted this over at Calclassics but will put it to FD cognoscenti here as well.

It seems that occasionally but especially after loading a saved flight our Constellation creeps at 1 kias even though the throts are all the way back. It's hardly noticeable, you have to check the red Shift-Z line on top of your screen, but serious enough if you happen to be parked close to an airport building.

Here are some facts and oddities you can observe in this situation:

1) If you force throttle to Cut using key command F1 sometimes it does the trick, ie she does stop, and sometimes it doesn't. This may obviously be connected with joystick throttle calibration.

2) If you slam on the brakes, or engage parking brake, NOTHING happens, she creeps on regardless at a steady 1 KIAS. This I take it is very different from what happens in the usual case of The Creeps, as for instance in the King Air and others.

3) If you OPEN the throttles way beyond your idle setting, say to 15% or so, she creeeps on regardless at a steady 1 KIAS.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Manfred
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 28th Dec, 2009 at 12:48am

jimslost   Offline
LDV Engineer
The more I learn, the
less I know

Could it be a matter of too much residual thrust at idle power?  You might take a look at tables 508, 509, and 511 in the air file to see if it would possible to reduce that.  What seems like reasonable values on a single engine plane might be excessive on a four engine ship.

or not ....

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 29th Dec, 2009 at 12:16pm

mjahn   Offline
Polygon Twister

Thanks Jimslost, we might try that but it doesn't account for brakes not having any effect, does it? I would much prefer something like a "reset" procedure that would force the aircraft to re-initialize but I realize that is hard to come by...

Manfred
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 5th Jan, 2010 at 12:25pm

jimslost   Offline
LDV Engineer
The more I learn, the
less I know

Just so I know, which plane is giving you this problem?  I have been unable to duplicate it with the 749 or the 1049G.  ("Unable to duplicate" are the most frustrating words in aviation.)

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 31st Mar, 2010 at 10:54pm

atc4usaf   Offline
Point Pusher
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I've had this problem as well.  Some forums that I've asked state that the main problem is that the tire-to-ground friction is not modeled correctly in FS.  So, with that being off, you may have idle thrust is too high as others mentioned.

The balance I have to establish is between not rolling at idle with the brakes engaged and realistic throttle position while taxiing.  Usually, a jet can taxi at idle thrust once you get it moving.  But if you model this, the darn thing will roll/slide sitting still with the brakes set.  I'm thinking that the rotating tire animation is linked to speed, so if you're sliding at 1 knot, the tires will roll.  Just a guess on the animation part.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print