Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleanup after a Virus (Read 1002 times)
7th Jan, 2010 at 3:30pm

dmaher   Offline
Spline Extruder
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

It finally happened...I got a computer virus.
Very nasty stuff.  Embarrassed
I couldn't use Task Manager...or even restart in safe mode.
As I tried to fix it the PC got progressively slower and more infected.
I managed to create a current backup of all my work...but the prospect of reinstalling everything was scary.
I finally contacted Dell support and they were able to remove it remotely for $130 CND, a small price to pay for 2 hrs work after 5pm.

After the fix some SDK tools aren't working.
I think this is because .NET framework was corrupted.
I'm "Repairing" .NET 3.5 SP1 from "Add or Remove Programs"...hope this works Undecided

Danny

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&&&
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 15th Jan, 2010 at 5:05am

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Sorry to hear that Danny.  Sad

I got one of those about 6 or 7 months ago. Fortunately I had all my files backed up on an external USB HDD and I was able to disconnect from my computer before the virus got to my important stuff. Even so, it still got to infect a few files on that hard drive. Just nothing that was important.

It's sad to think that some people get their enjoyment by ruining other peoples property.  Angry

Mark

Be happy! Life's too short not to be!

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 16th Jan, 2010 at 3:12pm

dmaher   Offline
Spline Extruder
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thanks Mark, I wasn’t able to repair .Net framework after all.
And then I realized the virus was still active.
So I wiped the hard drive with a new windows install.
The whole ordeal was a big waste of my time…but it’s nice to have a clean like-new system.  Smiley

Danny

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print