Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Scenery Lighting in FSX (Read 5992 times)
17th Feb, 2010 at 11:44am

H_Farfy   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Good day gentleman

I have been following the post by Jon Blum’s and Bill Leaming on night lighting for FSX and Bill has been very kind to send me his Gmax files for me to study and offer some good explanation as to how he set the materials set up in gmax.

But I am stuck on a critical setting “Blend diffuse by inverse of specular map alpha”

I tried manually tweaking the “_exterior.x” file in the main FSDS folder but I am not 100% sure if this is the X file I should be working on and where I should do this with in that file any thought would be most appreciated.

I will try to include a screen shot of my tweak page ( never add a shot this way before)

My textures are
Farfy_427.bmp---All black with a black Alpha saved as DXT3
A_test_night_10.bmp  ---very light yellow with a white alpha saved as DXT3
A_test_night_11.bmp --- black with a white splash with a white alpha saved as DXT3

Scott
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 11:59am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Scott

it's there mate

bottom right 4 tick boxes up  Wink

Regards
Rick

Edit i see what you mean no blend specular in there  Huh (come on DN more work for you mate!) Grin

Dave should spot this thread and answer at some point but i know he is a bit busy currently with real life stuff (looking at new Boeings that look just like the Old ones to me) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 12:03pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

What is the purpose of this bitmap?
Quote:
Farfy_427.bmp---All black with a black Alpha saved as DXT3

Only two bitmaps are required by this method. One for the Diffuse Color and the other for both Specular Color and the Self-Illumination...

Just for information, here is the "recipie" from the GMax FSX Material:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 12:20pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Here is the "recipie" for the actual bitmaps.
The Diffuse Color is a tiny 32x32 pixels. It is used only to define the color of the lightsplash generated by...
The Specular Color bitmap, which is 256x256 pixel (or larger if needed!):

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 1:31pm

H_Farfy   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Hi Rick thanks for having a look, but I am trying to find

“Blend diffuse by inverse of specular map alpha”
I have tried both “Blend env by inverse of diffuse alpha” and “Blend env by specular map alpha’ these don’t seem to be the ones I need.

EDIT LOL you guys are changing and adding post faster that I can rework and test my model ..I love it thanks.

Hello Bill
I use that texture 427 to make my object transparent and also to give FSDSxTweak a file to work from if I don’t apply any texture FSDSxTweak doesn’t work.

Let me try  again.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 2:00pm

H_Farfy   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Hi Guys

The day time part is looking the best I have had yet but the night part is now no good hehe. You can see the edges because I just made a cube 200 X 200 X 1

I made a new texture all white with a white alpha.
I used this as the texture on the polygon so that FSDSxTweak has something to work from and also used this in the diffuser slot I will attach screen shots.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 2:36pm

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Scott

I still don't think youu need the spec diffuse thing as FSDS needs any transparent material to be named Glass_or Prop_ or Trans_ etc

the alpha will automatically do what it's supposed to do once it knows it's transparent (ignore the tweak setting) but make sure the material is called as above

worth a try mate

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 4:34pm

H_Farfy   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Hi Rick
My very first attempts at this I did call the part “trans” but I have made so many version since then ….I will go back and re-look at that.

Thanks  Scott

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 5:48pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Ah, the absolute joy of translating Max/GMax speak into FSDS speak!  Grin

Note that the Blinn Properties of the FSX Material is set to zero, so using "trans" (whatever that is) may be what's needed here. Also note that the Blinn Color and Specular is set to triple-zeros as well.

The purpose of using Blend diffuse with inverse of Specular Alpha is to force a better gradient blending of the spec's lightmap with the diffuse color.

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 6:13pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Special FSDS names are likely not to be the issue here - those names are used by FSDS to generate the .x files, by the time FSDSxTweak gets to it, the names mean nothing special any more.

Fr Bill, what happens if you remove the "Blend diffuse by inverse of specular map alpha" option in Gmax? Will you get the same issue as Scott is seeing?

I am noticing that I do not have that switch available, I am wondering if that is the issue.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 6:47pm

H_Farfy   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Hi Guys

I have re-worked my model about 5 times with the part named “Trans”
And it doesn’t seem to matter.
I have three variations that give me a nice look during the day but no good at night and two variations that don’t work during the day but do work at night.

I am going to switch the alpha channels and build a few more models.

Dave is there a way I can manually tweak that setting?
“Blend diffuse by inverse of specular map alpha”

Thanks for your help guys
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 17th Feb, 2010 at 11:26pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

DaveNunez wrote on 17th Feb, 2010 at 6:13pm:
Fr Bill, what happens if you remove the "Blend diffuse by inverse of specular map alpha" option in Gmax? Will you get the same issue as Scott is seeing?

I am noticing that I do not have that switch available, I am wondering if that is the issue.

The purpose of using Blend diffuse with inverse of Specular Alpha is to force a better gradient blending of the spec's lightmap with the diffuse color.

One could simply put the lightmap texture in both Diffuse Color and Self-Illumination, but it won't blend as well...

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 18th Feb, 2010 at 12:08am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Scott can you please send me your files for me to play with? I need your textures, your KFG file, and the _temp.X file that FSDS produces on compile (alternatively, your .FSC file will do).

Sounds like we may need a couple new features to the tweaker, so your problem would be a nice test case for these.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 18th Feb, 2010 at 9:15am

H_Farfy   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Hi Dave

I will put a couple of zips together with those files the one that looks best in the day and the other that works at night.
I have to go to work right now but later today

Thank You ..Scott

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 18th Feb, 2010 at 3:05pm

H_Farfy   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Hi Dave zip is sent

Thanks again
Scott

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2