Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Max/GMax "Modeling Units" vs. "Unit Scale" (Read 1732 times)
23rd Feb, 2010 at 1:30pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

I've never understood why some folks insist on making this
SO COMPLICATED???
Cheesy

1. Set Max/GMax Customize/Preference Settings/System Unit Scale to "1 unit = 1 meter."

2. Forget that the above exists at all. Do not EVER change it again... This setting is required so that the export module will be able to convert whatever modeling units you are using to the standard 1u=1m that flightsim's compiler uses...

3. Use ONLY Customize/Units Setup to tell Max/GMax which system of measurement you want to use:

US Standard
Quote:
Decimal Inches
Fractional Feet
Decimal Feet
Feet with Fractional Inches
Feet with Decimal Inches

Metric
Quote:
Centimeters
Meters
Kilometers

You can even change your modeling units as often as you wish while working on the same scene!

If I need a box 1 meter square, I set the modeling units to "Metric : Meters" and simply create the box typing in 1m in the keyboard entry fields.

If I then need a box that is 12" square, I set the modeling units to "US Standard : Inches" and type 12" in the keyboard entry fields.

If I need a plane that is 46.356 feet square, I set the modeling units to "US Standard : Decimal Feet" and type 46.365' in the keyboard entry fields.

On the other hand, if I need to create a plane that is 2.43 hectares or 1.64 acres...

...NOW I need to do some manual calculations!!! Grin

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 23rd Feb, 2010 at 6:46pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Caveat on the above post....  While it is obvious to the vast majority of FFDS forum members, and lurkers, this comes about from a thread in another forum where it seems that a poster cannot understand the difference between system units and modelling units.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 25th Feb, 2010 at 6:39am

Mathias   Offline
Spline Extruder
Jau!
Germany

It has some advantages to work in system unit scale centimeters, millimeters or inches.
One is the dreaded zoom level thingy, the other is that Max/Gmax is less prone to crashes when working in those smaller units.
For export you can merge your work with a new scene that is set to unit scale = meters.
Unwrap modifiers should be collapsed prior to merging scenes.

Mathias&&
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 25th Feb, 2010 at 12:14pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

You are -of course - quite correct, Mathias. What you describe is an advanced technique, but one the success of which depends entirely on the modeler's a priori through understanding of how the "basics work..." Wink

This "Tip" however is meant to provide new modelers with a stable base on which to build their knowledge and skills. Hopefully, it will help prevent anyone from being embarrased by releasing a project to the public such as the Cessna 310 that's the size of the Goodyear Blimp... Grin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 21st Apr, 2010 at 11:22pm by Fr. Bill »  

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 2nd Mar, 2010 at 9:35am

Mathias   Offline
Spline Extruder
Jau!
Germany

Fully understood, Bill.
My post was just aimed at those that allready mastered the initial hurdles.
That mega Cessna should be easily fixed though, assumed it's made to correct scale in whatever unit the modeller has worked in.
In Gmax when merging scenes of different system unit scales you'll get a popup asking wether you want to adopt the file's unit scale or if you want to convert units.
Check the "convert units" box and you're all set.

Mathias&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print