Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Sketchup instead of GMAX or FSDS (Read 4085 times)
5th Mar, 2010 at 7:42pm

Tom/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Jets are for kids!

Hi all,

I don't know if this heresy here, but you can now use Sketchup (much easier to use than GMAX or FSDS) to create buildings for FS9 and FSX.  You use Arno's ModelConverterX to convert from Sketchup to MDL format.

I've created a tutorial here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Two classic airports have already been released at flightsim.com using it (Baltimore Friendship 1957 and Kansas City 1958).

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

California Classic Propliners: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

AlcoHauler Locomotive Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

San Diego Model RR Museum: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 5th Mar, 2010 at 11:40pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

I'm glad to hear it's working out well. It's nice to have options.

I've never had time to even download Sketchup, much less play with it (er, I mean learn it)... Wink

But, I've gotten pretty darn fast with Max and GMax now.  I can whip out a fairly complex house or building fairly quickly by now.  Cool

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 6th Mar, 2010 at 10:42am

Tom/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Jets are for kids!

Hi Bill,

I agree, for those of use who are comfortable with GMAX or FSDS it doesn't make sense to learn yet another design program.  Smiley

What I hoped Sketchup would do is encourage a whole new generation of scenery designers - and sure enough, I've already been blessed with 2 new classic airports due to Sketchup, with more coming.  Hooray!

Take care,

Tom Gibson

California Classic Propliners: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

AlcoHauler Locomotive Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

San Diego Model RR Museum: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 6th Mar, 2010 at 11:35am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Of particular interest to me are those who've already discovered the treasure house of already completed buildings in the Google Library (or whatever it's called), and now realize there's a way to get 'em in the sim!  Cool

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 6th Mar, 2010 at 4:54pm

J_MacKay   Offline
Ohio

3d Warehouse is the name of the Sketchup treasury.

There is so much built into SketchUp that makes it an ideal tool for making buildings, especially the kind you'd like to use in scenery.

Learning that there is now a "pipeline" for getting models from Sketchup into FSX and FS9 is great news. I just hope folks don't abuse the resource and start taking stuff from the 3d warehouse and claiming it as their own.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 28th Mar, 2010 at 9:57am

andyjohnston.net   Offline
Good Grief

I tried importing some building from Google into FSX, but the issue is they're hugely complex, with an insane number of textures.  I've seen buildings with 50-100 textures, which really bogs things down.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 29th Mar, 2010 at 2:52pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

It's almost easier to create the building in Sketchup and remap it in teh modelling program.

It probably makes more sense to do it that way for simpler building models. especially with the weird way to (re)position textures in Sketchup.

I've been experimenting with some papercard models.....

rearrange the model's image on a new plane, then use that as a backdrop on which to create the various planes/lines,making sure that one's lines match the texture.  Then, cut way the original plane's borders, leaving you with, for all practical purposes, a bunch of components ready to fold into place!!

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 29th Mar, 2010 at 5:23pm

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

Quote:
rearrange the model's image on a new plane, then use that as a backdrop on which to create the various planes/lines,making sure that one's lines match the texture.  Then, cut way the original plane's borders, leaving you with, for all practical purposes, a bunch of components ready to fold into place!!

Guess that method would work in Gmax or FFDS as well!  Sounds kinda fun, actually. Sort of like getting a model aircraft and putting it together; or even a paper airplane book! Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 29th Mar, 2010 at 6:24pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Quote:
Quote:
rearrange the model's image on a new plane, then use that as a backdrop on which to create the various planes/lines,making sure that one's lines match the texture.  Then, cut way the original plane's borders, leaving you with, for all practical purposes, a bunch of components ready to fold into place!!

Guess that method would work in Gmax or FFDS as well!  Sounds kinda fun, actually. Sort of like getting a model aircraft and putting it together; or even a paper airplane book! Cheesy

The bending and folding is actually easier in Sketchup than in FSDS/gmax.  In both FSDS/gmax you have to constantly move and align the pivoting point.   In Skethcup it's a matter of touching the "compass" to the point/line, and "folding" it.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 30th Mar, 2010 at 11:56am

Travis   Offline
Spline Extruder
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.
 Universe halted.
Waco, TX

That's actually really cool.

Perhaps I'll take a side-look at the program and get my feet wet, so to speak.  See how complex an item you can make with a flat plane of material.

&&
My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 30th Mar, 2010 at 6:04pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Hint:  Sketchup Origami?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print