Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
RepaintManagerX - add/remove repaints easily! (Read 5090 times)
4th Apr, 2010 at 1:34pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Hi all, happy to announce my new project - Repaint ManagerX! Manage your repaints easily and error free. Install repaints by just doing a drag-and-drop of a repaint zip file into your aircraft!

oops! Some folks are reporting a crash on startup! If you have issues, please wait for v1.01, already in the pipes at AVSIM...

As usual, it is free for all. More details here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 4th Apr, 2010 at 3:39pm by DaveNunez »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 7th Apr, 2010 at 1:52pm

Willem   Offline
LDV Engineer
Gmax... can't live with
it, can't live without
it.
Netherlands

Oh man!
Great looking tool!

I'll be sure to check it out!

Thanks a lot.  Smiley

grt
Willem

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 7th Apr, 2010 at 7:45pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

This does work as advertised.  I did have to download v1.01 as I did experience the opening crash with the first upload.  It makes managing repaints a snap and I find it much more useful than I originally thought.  Good Show!!   Smiley   Smiley

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 8th Apr, 2010 at 7:32pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Thanks guys! Please advertise it widely...

My next trick is to install whole aircraft with drag-n-drop. A lot tougher, cause you need to worry about effects, gauges, sounds that need to go the FSX folder, etc, etc, etc...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 9th Apr, 2010 at 10:46am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Dave

Great tool mate

Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 9th Apr, 2010 at 3:34pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Rick, I thought you were going "oh, I broke it", as you usually do...  Wink

&&
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 11th Apr, 2010 at 8:03pm

Vitus   Offline
Polygon Twister
Spaghetti-code producer
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Dave,

this tool looks ingenious, well done! How do you add the sections to the aircraft.cfg? Do you analyze the readme.txts for that?

Cheers,
Vitus

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 12th Apr, 2010 at 8:52pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

It is essentially an analysis of the readme.txt file yes. Although I can't rely on there being one, so I scan a whole lot of possible file names and extensions looking for anything that looks like a [fltsim.X] blob. Then there is some cleanup (some people put ASCII art arrows and stuff pointing to different bits), and then identifying the texture folder form that section and copying it in. After that the trick is to ensure that after you stick it into the aircraft.cfg, the numbering of all the sections is correct.

&&
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 13th Apr, 2010 at 12:30am

Vitus   Offline
Polygon Twister
Spaghetti-code producer
Auckland, New Zealand

Wow, that's really impressive. Very good!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 13th Apr, 2010 at 8:54pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Thanks  Smiley My original idea here was, I wanted a tool that you could use with existing repaints, and that would continue to work even if aircraft painters never head of it. So for example Flight1's repaint manager requires you to distribute a special cfg file with your paint, otherwise it won't work (that is laaaame).

&&
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 13th Apr, 2010 at 9:33pm

Vitus   Offline
Polygon Twister
Spaghetti-code producer
Auckland, New Zealand

I love your idea. I have almost no repaints installed because it was always a pain in the you-know-what to get them installed until now.

Just a minor thing: the drag & drop function is not working for me.
Windows Vista, I start the Repaint Manager X in admin mode.

Cheers,
Vitus

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 14th Apr, 2010 at 8:49pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Strange that drag-and-drop does not work... Can you try extract a repaint to some temporary drive, then drag and drop just the readme.txt (or whatever file has the repaint [fltsim.x] section)?

Also, no error message, just does not work?

&&
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 18th Apr, 2010 at 7:59pm

Vitus   Offline
Polygon Twister
Spaghetti-code producer
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Dave,

as I said, everything works fine with XP, but on my Vista system it doesn't work. When I try to drag a zip file to the list, the mouse cursor turns to this symbol:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (b&w of course)

Cheers,
Vitus

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 19th Apr, 2010 at 3:46am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

I seem to recall that drag and drop under Vista will only work if both the applications involved (explorer and RepaintManagerX) are running with the same privileges. So if you are not logged in as an admin, try running RepaintManagerX as a normal user (not as admin). Can you check if that works?

&&
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 19th Apr, 2010 at 7:11pm

Vitus   Offline
Polygon Twister
Spaghetti-code producer
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Dave,

I followed your suggestion and you were right - the "don't do this!"-symbol didn't appear any more and I was able to drag the zip folder to your program. However, as I have UAC activated your program wasn't able to make any changes to the simObjects folder anymore.
So I guess with UAC disabled the drag and drop would work, but I do like this Vista feature  Wink

Cheers,
Vitus

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 19th Apr, 2010 at 7:31pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

I've had Win 7 since day one but never installed it.  Never had Vista with it's slightly different UAC.  Maybe this is one of those cases (like FSDS) where one should not install FSX in Program Files, but in it's own folder?
I'm still running XP SP-3 and maybe I'll just stick with it as the plethora of applications I constantly use all work.

WinkPaul

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 19th Apr, 2010 at 8:56pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Interesting yes - I have FSX installed not in the program files dir, so I did not see this issue. It's actually a hefty problem! I guess if I were trapped in this dilemma, I would rather run RMX as admin, and lose the drag and drop feature. Unfortunately not much I can do. If you do need to reinstall FSX one day, I would recommend you put it somewhere else!

I will update the next version of the manual with information on these issues.

&&
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 19th Apr, 2010 at 10:16pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Have written up some ideas on how to work around this issue:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

&&
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 20th Apr, 2010 at 12:22am

Vitus   Offline
Polygon Twister
Spaghetti-code producer
Auckland, New Zealand

Hey Dave,
very well then.  I don't have a problem with that. Even without the drag&drop functionality it is still an ingenious program! I just wanted to make you aware of the issue  Wink
Have a great day,
Vitus

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 20th Apr, 2010 at 2:28am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Well, stay tuned for the next version, out in a couple weeks  Wink

&&
IP Logged

Reply #20 - 5th Jul, 2010 at 7:08pm

BrandonF   Offline
Point Pusher
The Future of Flight
Earth...Duh!!!

Looks like a very cool little tool. But I stick to the old fashioned way of installing repaints. I don't trust any software to do this kind of stuff for me.  Grin

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU  E7200 @ 2.53GHz | 4GB RAM | two NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT | Windows 7 64 bit | FSX Acceleration
IP Logged

Reply #21 - 6th Jul, 2010 at 4:17pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Oho a skeptic! Well, I admit there are sometimes when it fails, but I get about 95% success with it (I got very, very tired of doing these by hand). The new version (coming soon!) Fixes a few more bugs (with non-ASCII characters to support non-English repaints better), and also a 'install/remove aircraft' feature.

&&
IP Logged

Reply #22 - 6th Jul, 2010 at 5:04pm

BrandonF   Offline
Point Pusher
The Future of Flight
Earth...Duh!!!

Maybe I'll have to try it sometime.  Wink

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU  E7200 @ 2.53GHz | 4GB RAM | two NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT | Windows 7 64 bit | FSX Acceleration
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print