Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VC Emissive lighting problems (Read 2307 times)
13th Jun, 2010 at 9:06am

daveh   Offline
Polygon Twister
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Help!
I'm having trouble getting the emissive lighting for VC gauges to work properly. What I end up with is a superbright gauge with even the black areas of the gauge brightened, and its not user controlled. Using FSDSv35 and Tweak 2.8. This is the tweak:

[texture.02]
identifier=brightgauges.bmp
diffuse=$brightgauges
emissive=brightgauges_L.bmp
SourceBlend=SrcAlpha
DestinationBlend=InvSrcAlpha
EmissiveMode=MultiplyBlendUserControlled

Tried changing the mode, but same problems. The lightmap is a simple grey fill and is a DXT1 bitmap, no alpha. I bet I'm doing something wrong, but I simply can't see what it is. Any ideas or advice will be most welcome as its driving me crazy.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 13th Jun, 2010 at 11:19am

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

The lightmap must have a black Alpha channel, and be saved either as DXT1w/one-bit Alpha, or DXT3.

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 13th Jun, 2010 at 3:26pm

daveh   Offline
Polygon Twister
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thanks for that idea Bill, but alas no joy. However, I have now looked at the mdl file using ModelConverterX and the emissivemode was set to additive, which was not the setting in the tweak  Undecided. Changing this with ModelConverter to AdditiveNightOnlyUserControlled got the user control working, but still a very bright gauge. It would seem then that the material is not being properly tweaked for some reason. Very possibly operator error, but I need to do more testing.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 13th Jun, 2010 at 7:39pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

daveh wrote on 13th Jun, 2010 at 3:26pm:
Thanks for that idea Bill, but alas no joy. However, I have now looked at the mdl file using ModelConverterX and the emissivemode was set to additive, which was not the setting in the tweak Undecided. Changing this with ModelConverter to AdditiveNightOnlyUserControlled got the user control working, but still a very bright gauge. It would seem then that the material is not being properly tweaked for some reason. Very possibly operator error, but I need to do more testing.

You need to use
MultiplyBlendUserControl
for FSX emissive lighting to work well. You control the "Brightness" via the RGB color/brightness...

Also, I had another senior moment... No Alpha channel is required for FSX, only in FS9 does it have any affect at all... Wink

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 13th Jun, 2010 at 10:23pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi
Not sure if its any help but this is what I used Smiley
this so indicator lights would glow if they where showing at night
[texture.22]
identifier=lights.bmp
diffuse=lights.dds
specular=lights_spec.dds
emissive=lights_l.dds
EmissiveMode=Blend
fresnel=Fresnel_ramp.dds
environment_level_scale=1
UseGlobalEnvironment=1
BlendEnvironmentByInverseDiffuseAlpha=1
FresnelSpecular=1
FresnelEnvironment=1
AllowBloom=0

and so I could use my own lighting circuit,I had 2 parts with visibility code
switch off textured with
[texture.25]
identifier=fuel_stripL.bmp
diffuse=fuel_stripL.dds
AllowBloom=0

switch on textured with
[texture.26]
identifier=fuel_stripLN.bmp
diffuse=fuel_stripLN.dds
emissive=fuel_stripLN_night.dds
EmissiveMode=Blend
AllowBloom=0
I found it easier to do this way as it gave me full control over what was switched on with what and, I had full control over how the texture looked when lights where on Smiley
Cheers
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 14th Jun, 2010 at 1:40am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

For the emissive tweak to be applied, you must be using FSDS v 3.5.1 (not 3.5). In fact, 3.5.1 is the only version of FSDS the tweaker directly supports. Under v3.5, the emissive tweak ends up oversaturating the image with the emissive map, and the usercontrolled modes are not active.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 14th Jun, 2010 at 2:19am

daveh   Offline
Polygon Twister
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I could have sworn I had 3.5.1 installed, but it seems not. I will rectify this soon as I can and hopefully that will fix everything, and stop me asking stupid questions  Embarrassed.
Thanks for the help everyone.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 14th Jun, 2010 at 12:48pm

PutPut   Offline
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Now I don't feel so bad,  I just went through the same song and dance with Dave by email this weekend.  He showed me I was accidently using 3.5 instead of 3.51 ever since I installed a new hard drivea few months back!  I was trying emissive lighting for the first time and pretty much running into the same problems you report.  It worked just fine after reinstalling 3.51.

Embarrassed Embarrassed

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 16th Jun, 2010 at 7:47am

daveh   Offline
Polygon Twister
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New hard drive, software reinstalled (sort of) - sounds very familiar!

Now have 3.5.1 and all is fine again.

Thanks to Dave for this great tool.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 16th Jun, 2010 at 4:34pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

<FonzyVoice>Eeeeeyy!</FonzyVoice> Cool

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print