Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FSDS3.5 XtoMdle Why have to use DDS? (Read 2622 times)
2nd Jul, 2010 at 12:32am

topmixed   Offline
LDV Engineer
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!<br
/>
Hong Kong

Dear All,

I am working for FSDS3.5 with XtoMdl and FSDSxTweak

I found that 1024 x1024 DXTbmp DXT5 and DDS DXT5 are same file size about 1,366KB
DXTbmp DXT5 are working fine in FSX too, I just wonder why have to change to use DDS texture?
If I still keep on to use DXTbmp, what different in FSX?

Thanks!

Gordon

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 2nd Jul, 2010 at 3:41am

DaveNunez   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Seattle, Washington

As far as I know, you must have bump maps and specular maps be DDS, the others can be BMP is you like.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 2nd Jul, 2010 at 4:58am

topmixed   Offline
LDV Engineer
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!<br
/>
Hong Kong

What is "specular" effect for exactly?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 2nd Jul, 2010 at 8:53am

anthony31   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Without specular

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

With specular

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Notice how the sunlight reflects and provides greater highlights on the left wing and top of the fuselage behind the cockpit. The colour of the specular determines the highlight colour. Personally I use a copy of the base texture but lightened a touch. For bits I don't want specular (like the rubber of the tyres) I use black.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 2nd Jul, 2010 at 12:29pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

The MAJOR advantage of using .DDS instead of .BMP is increased efficiency.

The video card requires all textures to be "flipped vertically" before being sent to it for rendering passes.

Since .DDS files are all saved in "vertically flipped" mode, the computer doesn't have to waste time constantly "flipping" the bitmaps every cycle!

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 2nd Jul, 2010 at 1:44pm

topmixed   Offline
LDV Engineer
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!<br
/>
Hong Kong

I am just using the DXTbmp from FS2004, or convert to DDS.
My model are also can see the highlight material without any "specular" file but it is white color only.
Why?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 3rd Jul, 2010 at 10:18am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Because that's the default color. Unless you tell it differently, white it will be!  Using the FSX Material manager in Max/GMax one can simply lock the specular color to the diffuse color.

I have no idea how it would be done using FSDS Tweak...

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 4th Jul, 2010 at 7:48am

anthony31   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

IN FSDS tweak you select the spec colour in the BASE COLOUR section. But that colour will be global for your whole texture sheet. The reason you would use a specific spec texture is to control the colours pixel by pixel.

I really don't think there is any hard and fast rule when it comes to spec colouring and techniques as it seems that every developer has their own method. A lot of it comes down to the personal preferences of the developer and what they think looks good.

The best advice I can give is to just make up some test textures and try a few different settings to see what you like best.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 4th Jul, 2010 at 8:11pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Anthony, that's precisely what I do in Max/GMax...

...use a specular color texture!  That way I can tune every pixel to the precise amount and color...  Grin

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print