Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Visit YaBB today Wink

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DX10 (Read 7370 times)
Reply #15 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:08am

Au-MaV   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Ps
"Note that I think the spec power term can only be between 0 - 255 as this multiplys the specular alpha"

I leave that at the default for the material and use the 0 to 255 for the alpha channel in the spec map texture?
Im not sure where your at with fsx but materials are nothing nada diddle squat set them in fsds as default and forget them ..in FSX its all texture driven
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:08am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

Source blend is the default for opaque = source blend one destination blend zero
All the textures are default FSX as is the project. Never been done in FS9 and I have not compiled a project for that for over 3 years.
The other thing I am trying to work out  - although not related to this is Z Buffer values.
I thing that it is also strange when I try to set "default" or fall back material properties that the compile throws up all sorts of errors regarding memory and animation. Take the settings out and it works fine - go figure  Huh

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:12am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

Au-MaV wrote on 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:08am:
Ps
"Note that I think the spec power term can only be between 0 - 255 as this multiplys the specular alpha"

I leave that at the default for the material and use the 0 to 255 for the alpha channel in the spec map texture?
Im not usre where your at with fsx but materials are nothing nada diddle squat set them in fsds as default and forget them ..in FSX its all texture driven
Wozza

Yes I understand the multiply on the spec power value.
I think you are wrong about materials in FSX. Even the SDK refers to base material properties and then goes onto texture properties.
It is the base material value that affects the reflective and the values given. I think that Tweak does not support this correctly but there is a section to implement this.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:14am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Quote:
Source blend is the default for opaque = source blend one destination blend zero
All the textures are default FSX as is the project. Never been done in FS9 and I have not compiled a project for that for over 3 years.
The other thing I am trying to work out - although not related to this is Z Buffer values.
I thing that it is also strange when I try to set "default" or fall back material properties that the compile throws up all sorts of errors regarding memory and animation. Take the settings out and it works fine - go figure Huh

Yep but fsds pumps out basic fs9 texture params by default in the xfile header, the reason we use tweak to fix that issue Smiley so if tweak fails you will have fs9 style texture params in your fsx mdl Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:20am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Quote:
Ps

Im not usre where your at with fsx but materials are nothing nada diddle squat set them in fsds as default and forget them ..in FSX its all texture driven
Wozza

Yes I understand the multiply on the spec power value.
I think you are wrong about materials in FSX. Even the SDK refers to base material properties and then goes onto texture properties.
It is the base material value that affects the reflective and the values given. I think that Tweak does not support this correctly but there is a section to implement this.

Not under fsds/fstweak its all texture driven, the materials settings in fsds are all ignored and pointless at compile time(as far as I can see)
If your not using g-max or 3d max then the sdk is basically useless in relation to modeling,scripts...material info
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:23am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

Hi mate,
Yes I know but if the same texture works in the VC environment with the same texture properties then why not on the external?
The cockpit frame is an example.
Base Colour section in tweak should enable or convert the x file to adjust the base material properties.
Still all this is proving interesting  Grin
The thing that is bugging me is that it is probably something I have done but it is strange when you have been using a recipe for a few years and then it no longer works when you change the oven.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:37am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Quote:
Hi mate,
Yes I know but if the same texture works in the VC environment with the same texture properties then why not on the external?
The cockpit frame is an example.
Base Colour section in tweak should enable or convert the x file to adjust the base material properties.
Still all this is proving interesting Grin
The thing that is bugging me is that it is probably something I have done but it is strange when you have been using a recipe for a few years and then it no longer works when you change the oven.

Hi Mate
The only things it can be if both params are the same for the ext vc, is fstweak is bombing out and not processing the texture info in one of the models,the video card drivers or dx10 install on the test system are pooched.when this sort of thing happens goto to KISS just build a box for the ext and vc , use one texture set and cfg params and test
if that works fine then you at least know the issues in the main project somewhere and not the tools Cheesy
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 3:43am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

Hi
The thought had crossed my mind  Wink but -
It was working fine in DX10 as earlier beta's proved.
Now I have a hunch that when update 2.81 was implemented because of the $pan1, $pan2 issue it may have changed other stuff in the way the KFG is parsed.
I will try it out by going back to 2.8 if what I am doing at the moment still does not work.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 3rd Nov, 2010 at 4:49am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

OK, Update.
The model has now been tried again in DX10 with only one texture enhancement in the KFG and shows correctly with and without bloom.
Re building the KFG to see what happens.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 9th Nov, 2010 at 2:04am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

Ps
Im not sure where your at with fsx but materials are nothing nada diddle squat set them in fsds as default and forget them ..in FSX its all texture driven
Wozza

I have re-written the KFG's for the model and it now works in DX10 mode.
Regarding the materials in FSDS and tweak.
I have found that if you leave the base material as "default" but have spec maps and these are referenced in the KFG for the textures - when you compile with Tweak - no mention of the enhanced material is made so possibly the enhancements are skipped. You may even get a warning in the "bat" window that "removing specular from material as no base specular has been set" or words to that effect.
Now if you set a specular value in the base material property in FSDS that warning disappears.
It all depends on how you configure your textures for the model etc BUT it does have a visual effect in the sim AND is processed on compile.

I will post more when I have found out what the effects are.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 9th Nov, 2010 at 2:44am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Quote:
Ps
Wozza

I have re-written the KFG's for the model and it now works in DX10 mode.
Regarding the materials in FSDS and tweak.
I have found that if you leave the base material as "default" but have spec maps and these are referenced in the KFG for the textures - when you compile with Tweak - no mention of the enhanced material is made so possibly the enhancements are skipped. You may even get a warning in the "bat" window that "removing specular from material as no base specular has been set" or words to that effect.
Now if you set a specular value in the base material property in FSDS that warning disappears.
It all depends on how you configure your textures for the model etc BUT it does have a visual effect in the sim AND is processed on compile.

I will post more when I have found out what the effects are.

Hi
Im doing this from a gray foggie memory its been a while since I did anything in fsds:)...... But if you specify a spec map you also need a fresnel= pram or you get the error
"no base specular has been set"....I think...... I know Ive seen the error before and it was a missing pram in the KFG file
as I said I did the freeware texan with only a default material,it all came out as I had wanted/expected but. Im no expert so its possible something was missing or not working in the final model.
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 9th Nov, 2010 at 2:59am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

The last model I released was the Skysim Mirage for FSX using Tweak.
The Fresnel is referenced to affect reflective in the KFG for the new project.
Something has changed with the upgrades of tweak and when compiling my old Mirage models with the Old KFG's they appear completely different in the sim.
I think that it may be hinted on this thread:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I think that this occurs in FSDS 3.51 but the tweak ignores it rather than gives errors.
I can only go on what the final model looks like in the sim.
Maybe try and re-compile your old model again with the new version of tweak and see if you spot any changes in appearance in the sim using the old KFG files.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 9th Nov, 2010 at 6:42am

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi Mate
Yep already did that as I didnt realize I was using an older ver of fstweak came out fine...but then I do fsxtweak manually via dos and cfg's
As I said its been awhile sinse I did any work in fsds so I may of got it arse about Wink

Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 9th Nov, 2010 at 9:10pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Hi guys

I must admit, I am pretty confused... do we have a clear bug in 3.5.1 and tweak 2.8?

The issue with 3.5.2 is totally separate though - that is due to the fact that the tweaker will not put up materials most of the time when the .x file is generated by 3.5.2.

If someone can send me a .X file which used to work, and now does not, I can run it through older versions of tweak until we see the change.

Paul, perhaps you can send me a .x file of your mirage, plus the kfg file?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #29 - 10th Nov, 2010 at 2:31am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

Hi Dave,
I will email you the KFG's for the Mirage and the current project. I am close to finishing the current project and do not want to revert back to an old compile but I will be re-compiling the Mirage with a few enhancements so I will sort out the X files from that.
Basically If in FSDS I add a specular colour and power into the material properties used then when I run Tweak I get no errors and visually in the SIM the aircraft looks better than if I left the material as "default"
What is confusing is that in FSX the material is meant to be ignored before tweak?
If you set a specular value in FSDS and a specular power on the material then Tweak does read it from the X file. Strange as this is not meant to happen?
pm me with your current email
Regards
Mark

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print